cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ham Radio Operaters out there?

raid3r2011
Explorer
Explorer
Hey Y'all. I an new to RVing. Have a Cedar Creek Silverback 29IK 5th wheel RV trailer. Going to Sacramento, CA in November. I have a Yaesu FT2DR HT & I will have it with me. Have a Repeater guide with me & I have 108 repeaters in memory. Several in Cal. Will monitor the repeaters in & around Sacramento. I live in Colorado & travel to California, Minnesota, Wisconsin & North Dakota mostly. When my wife retires in three more years we plan to hit every state on this continent & a lot of Canada. I retired a year ago...just waiting on her.
2017 Fall River, Cedar Creek, Silverback, 29IK Fifth Wheel RV trailer.
Towed by a 2013 Ford F350 Super Duty, Double Cab, Long Bed, 6.7 Litre Diesel.
29 REPLIES 29

MetalGator
Explorer III
Explorer III
I have ham radios in my truck but we have now just purchased a motorhome. I also have a Kenwood tribander in my Jeep that we tow behind the motorhome. I wish I knew of an easy way to utilize the antennas on the Jeep from a radio in the motorhome. When we had our Travel Trailer I would program repeaters into the radio along our route. I would also occasionally take an HF radio with us. I remember talking to a station in Ireland one time driving through Kentucky. I talked to him for over an hour before conditions changed.
2018 Miramar 35.3 Motorhome
3 fur kids (Monty, ZuZu and Pinto)
Rainbow bridge (Murphy, Petie, Lola)

hotpepperkid
Explorer
Explorer
I have my call and 146.52 on the back of my 5er and in the last 8 yeas of spending the summer on the road someone has called me all of twice. One time it was a trucker on channel 19 of my CB
2019 Ford F-350 long bed SRW 4X4 6.4 PSD Grand Designs Reflection 295RL 5th wheel

Solo
Explorer
Explorer
Kaz wrote:

* I wish more hams would monitor 146.52 while on the road. It's pretty rare to hear much on that frequency. I even have a bumper sticker that says "146.52 MHz" and it doesn't seem to do much good.

73 Skip K4EAK

YES!! I don't have a ".52" bumper sticker but I do have my call on our toad that's easy to see. When you pass us Skip, give me a call as I always monitor .52.

Solo, KB0DEU
Solo
2011 Itasca Ellipse 42QD, 450 HP ISL Cummins
2012 Jeep JKU with SMI DUO Braking System

Wadcutter
Nomad
Nomad
Got my Novice in June 1967. Played with it for a while then lost interest. Or more accurately, other interests took priority. In and out over the years but never very deep into it. Got back in to it again last winter. Surprisingly my old call from 50 years ago was still available so got it back.
2/70 in the truck and monitor 146.520. Try to program in repeaters for whatever area we'll be traveling. The 2/70 can easily be pulled out of the truck and brought inside the 5er. Run a homemade ground plane for the 2/70.
In the 5er run a Yaesu FT-990 on HF. Antenna is a homemade EARCHI 40-10 meter end fed. Can usually find a tree but if not carry 24 ft of pole and run as a slopper.
Don't work it alot when we travel. We prefer to be out seeing whatever is in the area. But sometimes have to wait for the XYL to get ready and I'll fire up the HF.
Camped in every state

w8lpn
Explorer
Explorer
Hello there, I usually use 2m/440 on the road. When Im set up at camp in the past i set up a G5RV and operate HF on the ts450. If I dont have a lot of room I just use a hamstick antenna. 73
2014 Ford F150 5.0
1985 citation 30 ft camper
Husky WDH with sway control

Rolin
Explorer
Explorer
Just getting around to setting up the 2m in the Motorhome. Hope to have it ready to go when we hit the road in the spring. Plan to monitor 146.52.

Don't have a small HF so will focus on just the 2m. Older 2m unit so not as many bells and whistles as the new ones. Trying to keep it simple.

Ke7aud
73's

twxsby89
Explorer
Explorer
Tom Wxsby here, from Cypress Texas. I have a 2011 Jeep Wrangler, with a Kenwood TM-281A mounted above the rear view mirror with a handy little bracket from Strike Force Zebra. Using a Firestick antenna, seems to work pretty well.
I am working on adding a bracket and antenna for the Suburban, so I can simply move the radio back and forth.
See ya
KF5OFX
2013 K2500 Suburban
2016 Coachmen 310BHDSLE
2011 JKUR
2012 Wells Cargo Camp Convert

hondapro
Explorer
Explorer
AB3YT here have 2m/440 with dstar in the tow rig, I want to get a hf rig for the trailer.
Steve
2023 Ram 3500 6.7 Cummins Turbo Diesel
2022 Keystone Sprinter 32BH
B&W Companion

Crabbypatty
Explorer
Explorer
Im a ham and brought my Baofeng GT3 HT with me and had a few qso's. I have yet to operate while on the road. There is an RV Services Net

http://rvsvcnet.wbcci.net/rv-service-nets/

That operates all over the country to assist rvers on the road. I intend on getting a buddipole or something like that to setup when parked. For the TV I was thinking about a Little Tar Heel. Still a wrok in progress.

73's
k2bkr
John, Lisa & Tara:B:C:)
2015 F250 4x4 6.2L 6 spd 3.73s, CC Short Bed, Pullrite Slide 2700, 648 Wts Solar, 4 T-125s, 2000 Watt Xantrax Inverter, Trimetric 2030 Meter, LED Lights, Hawkings Smart Repeater, Wilson Extreme Cellular Repeater, Beer, Ribs, Smoker

Kaz
Explorer
Explorer
K4EAK here. I operate HF at campgrounds when I can, using my IC-706MkII-G portable box fed into a hamstick dipole, and 2-meter and D-STAR the rest of the time using my ID-5100. A couple thoughts:
* I wish more hams would monitor 146.52 while on the road. It's pretty rare to hear much on that frequency. I even have a bumper sticker that says "146.52 MHz" and it doesn't seem to do much good.
* For hams driving motorhomes, don't forget to check out the FMCA Amateur Radio Club. It's a pretty active chapter and provides another way to stay in touch with RV hams. Information is here: http://www.fmcaarc.com.

73 Skip K4EAK
Skip
K4EAK
2013 Thor ACE 30.1

johndeerefarmer
Explorer III
Explorer III
W5DWH here. I have a repeater in north Texas. Coverage is about 20 miles north of Durant OK to about 30 south of the Red River. Anyone going down Hwy 69/75 or US 82 is welcome to use it.
If I am not in Colorado I will be monitoring it.
2020 Ford 350 6.7 PSD & 2017 F150 3.5 EB max tow
GD Reflection 29rs

SailingOn
Explorer
Explorer
Central Texas for now, Pacific NW last July and August, Florida in November. 2 meters while travelling.
George AD5GR
Buck: 2004 Wilderness Yukon 8275S, now memories.
Star: Open range LF297RLS. 2 air conditioners!
Togo: 2014 Winnebago View Profile, 2013 Sprinter chassis; 16 mpg
Snow: 2020 F250 diesel
AD5GR

Vette_Racer
Explorer
Explorer
We travel 6 mo or so out of the year, can operate on every band except 160 while camping, HF being the bands of choice with a Tarheel 200 screwdriver but have got into some of the link systems on 2 meters.
KE5NCP
2016 Ram CC Dually, 2011 HitchHiker 349 RSB DA, 2018 Wrangler unlimited Rubicon

n3eqf
Explorer
Explorer
Hey! Been a ham since 1971 so I guess there is enough going on to keep my interest! Only have the 2 meter rig on while traveling but have an IC-706 and portable flagpole antenna on HF when camped.

Tom N3EQF
Tom
2015 Thor Windsport 27K