cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Handy Hints, Gadgets, Products & Gizmos

GizmosMom
Explorer
Explorer
Another member suggested a new forum section with new products but it doesn't look like it will be feasible. So I thought I would post this here under General RVing Issues. If enough people post (even if you have mentioned it before in another post) we can keep it near the top?

Do you have a handy hint, a new product or an old product that makes your RVing or Camping much better?

(Sorry, no commercial advertising allowed)

I'll start:

Someone in the Camping Van posted a reference to using a Super-Chamois to wipe down their shower. I have been using an icky old thick sponge and I like the chamois idea so much more.

Now I want to hear what works for you
Marilyn w/ Joe, 2016 Class C Sunseeker 2430 SF, often pulling a Ranger bass boat. Traveling with Trigger
Smudge & Gizmo are waiting at the Rainbow Bridge
3,560 REPLIES 3,560

twasnurse
Explorer
Explorer
I also want to thank everyone for your postings on this site. Am a newbie, felt totally overwhelmed and uncertain how/where to begin organizing my 19' TT. So much to put in -- so little space. Martha Stewart I'm not. Thanks for the tips, advice, suggestions. Hopefully one day in the not to distance future I'll be able to add a tip or two also. Thanks much!

twasnurse

PGR_Skye
Explorer
Explorer
Come on, Folks, I love all the great ideas and have a great list going. Could always use some more. I'd rather read this than watch TV.
Darrell & Madonna
Furkid, GSD Sigfried
2001 Patriot Thunder by Beaver
Jeep Grand Cherokee

monakayk
Explorer
Explorer
kjames90755 wrote:
try using a hair dryer on low, or warm, slightly soapy (dawn) water on a sponge to soak it for a few minutes first, then rub it with a non-abraisive scrubber (I use my thumb--thanking G-d for rough hands). If the metal is painted, you may have to buy touch-up paint.

WOW...this is a great idea. I will have to try it! Thanks for sharing.
HAPPY CAMPING!!
Mona K

Our Ford Explorer & Jayco Jay-Feather Hybrid Travel Trailer and Camping Photos--CLICK HERE!

whanner
Explorer
Explorer
I use WD40 to remove sticky stuff.
06' Ford F-350 Power Stroke 6.0L
07' Forest River Sierra 375 QBQ
Wife and 2 Kids

jwendt
Explorer
Explorer
Does anyone use a windshield wax? (rainex seems to leave a film)

kjames90755
Explorer
Explorer
try using a hair dryer on low, or warm, slightly soapy (dawn) water on a sponge to soak it for a few minutes first, then rub it with a non-abraisive scrubber (I use my thumb--thanking G-d for rough hands). If the metal is painted, you may have to buy touch-up paint.
2008 Itasca Meridian 37H, All. 3000MH (6-auto), Freightliner XC Chass., Cummins 6.7L Turbo, (Sweet! Delivery 03/12/08). Tow: '07 Dodge Gr. Caravan, Me, Him; Sugarbear, Apr. Toy Poodle; Pepe, Blk Toy Poodle; Hero, fat Siam.-mix polydactyl cat/Alarm Clock.

DB_Engineer
Explorer
Explorer
welsteach wrote:
travelingfools, Anybody have a way of getting rid of the sticky tape residue on metal framing> How is it on the paint?

Goo Gone or possibly Un-Do. Check Wall World or your local craft store.
Jan (me) :C
Polly (DW) ๐Ÿ˜„
FW: 2009 Montana 3465SA 10th Anniversary Edition
TV: 2005 GMC Sierra 3500HD DRW, 6.6L Duramax/Allison

welsteach
Explorer
Explorer
travelingfools, I have thought of that. I am afraid it will leave a sticky residue behind. I have actually had the stuff pull wood away from a window frame when I took it down, so I am reluctant. Anyone have good luck with it? Anybody have a way of getting rid of the sticky tape residue on metal framing> How is it on the paint?

travelingfools
Explorer
Explorer
welsteach wrote:
Does anyone have a way to insulate the windows without blocking the light? We don't have double window panes, and the chill is awful sometimes?

What about the film you put over the windows and then hit with a hair dryer ? We use it in our home in the winter and its as clear as glass...
'87 MCI 9 bus..just starting conversion..Cant wait till spring !

KLO
Explorer
Explorer
Lou Castle, thank you so much for that info! I had no idea hi temp Velcro existed.

Lou_Castle
Explorer
Explorer
KLO wrote:
Only problem I'm having with that is in our summer heat the sticky holding the Velcro on comes loose from the window frames! Don't know what to do about it. Other than that I've been very pleased, keeps light and heat/cold out, depending on season of course!

You need "high temp sticky back Velcro." I know that Coil n' Wrap has it as well as lots of other helpful stuff. Coil n/ Wrap
Regards,

Lou Castle, Los Angeles, CA
2006 Jayco Seneca 35GS
1991 Jeep Wrangler

JimBollman
Explorer
Explorer
All the talk about bumming food and feeding bums, reminded me of a good feel experience when we were camping in Alaska in 1993. We flew in and rented a Class C to see the state in a 2 week whirlwind vacation. We were setup for our last night before turning in the camper and flying home. We were talking to a young family with several kids (was a long time ago the facts are fuzzy) that were setup next to us with an old camper pulled by an old car. They were doing a family vacation while looking for work and had very limited funds. We mentioned we didn't really want to throw out all the food and supplies we had left but they were all open, would they be interested. Next morning they took everything we had left before we broke camp and they were very appreciative. Made a great finish to a great vacation.

Jim...

JimBollman
Explorer
Explorer
welsteach wrote:
Does anyone have a way to insulate the windows without blocking the light? We don't have double window panes, and the chill is awful sometimes?

Not high R insulation, but I use bubble wrap over our basement windows at the house and it makes a big difference and still leaves in a lot of light.

JIm...

welsteach
Explorer
Explorer

HeresLucy
Explorer
Explorer
One trip in December we cut a foam piece from a fabric store to fit between the inside and outside door - and then put some larger ones in the stairwell. Helped to have the squishy kind to fit between those doors. It really cut down on the draft when the temps were in the teens a couple nights.

We unhooked our water on those days but also stuck some foam in the sewer bay - I don't know if it did any good but it made us feel better.

Lucy
2006 Allegro Bus 40' DP
2005 Grand Cherokee