cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Handy Hints, Gadgets, Products & Gizmos

GizmosMom
Explorer
Explorer
Another member suggested a new forum section with new products but it doesn't look like it will be feasible. So I thought I would post this here under General RVing Issues. If enough people post (even if you have mentioned it before in another post) we can keep it near the top?

Do you have a handy hint, a new product or an old product that makes your RVing or Camping much better?

(Sorry, no commercial advertising allowed)

I'll start:

Someone in the Camping Van posted a reference to using a Super-Chamois to wipe down their shower. I have been using an icky old thick sponge and I like the chamois idea so much more.

Now I want to hear what works for you
Marilyn w/ Joe, 2016 Class C Sunseeker 2430 SF, often pulling a Ranger bass boat. Traveling with Trigger
Smudge & Gizmo are waiting at the Rainbow Bridge
3,560 REPLIES 3,560

LarryJM
Explorer II
Explorer II
ladymc53 wrote:
We bought a small (about 13 1/2 x 15 1/2 inches) with 6 drawers on rollers. I used it in my office at home to hold all the 'junk' you need...paper for the printer (which sits on top), scissors, tape measure, pens, etc. It's a great end table as well as storage unit. When first we moved into the 5'er it was just that - an end table. Then I rearranged and put the printer on top. I think I like the printer elsewhere and use it as an end table with a plant on top. Utilizes every inch of space. Got it at Walmart...about $30.

I use something along those lines to solve the lack of bathroom storage for all those little things and spare towels. It sits on a board over the seat portion of the tub and since our bedroom is just outside the door it can be moved to on top of the bed in less than a minute making the shower fully functional. We generally don't use the bath to shower, but prefer to go to the CG comfort stations.

Larry
2001 standard box 7.3L E-350 PSD Van with 4.10 rear and 2007 Holiday Rambler Aluma-Lite 8306S Been RV'ing since 1974.
RAINKAP INSTALL////ETERNABOND INSTALL

xxjanaleexx
Explorer
Explorer
In our Sunline 2653 our shirt closets on each side of the bed are better put to use with shelves--here is an easy fix!! Buy the plastic drawer units(about 13 1/2X15 1/2) that snap apart and they will fit right inside and then stack..They run about $19.99 at Bed Bath and Beyond but are on sale now at RiteAid at BOGO.You must take them apart to insert them and snap them back together once they are inside leaving the drawers off, of course. You can then use the drawers to put other stuff in and store elsewhere. You can even put it up higher and prop "legs" under the four corners with four 10 inch pieces of wood which then gives you an extra shelf instead of just a plastic bottom.. Jan
Driver,"Jan"..
Social director "Mittzi the cat"
Present rig 1995 Sunline Solaris 1950
and many others over the past 35 years

ladymc53
Explorer
Explorer
We bought a small (about 13 1/2 x 15 1/2 inches) with 6 drawers on rollers. I used it in my office at home to hold all the 'junk' you need...paper for the printer (which sits on top), scissors, tape measure, pens, etc. It's a great end table as well as storage unit. When first we moved into the 5'er it was just that - an end table. Then I rearranged and put the printer on top. I think I like the printer elsewhere and use it as an end table with a plant on top. Utilizes every inch of space. Got it at Walmart...about $30.
LadyMc
Sitting Stationary in a 33 ft. Newmar 5th wheel

Chrysler Town & Country Mini-van with Stow & Go Seats pulling a
CAMP INN 560 ULTRA RAINDROP -called a Raindrop, not a Teardrop cause it has a couch that makes into bunks - the Rolls-Royce of Tears!

ak_traveler
Explorer
Explorer
Loves2RV wrote:

I use the bubble wrap that the pans were wrapped in when I bought them. Works great and no $$$. Any bubble wrap would work fine.

And since you didn't throw the bubble wrap in the garbage and add to our landfill problem, it's eco-friendly!! LOL! Go Green!:B
"There's no such thing as too much tow vehicle!"
Wes, Linda, & kids
Retired firefighter (30 years fighting the dragon!)
Our Website

Loves2RV
Explorer
Explorer
GizmosMom wrote:
Saw these pan protectors in a catalog.

Thought they would be perfect for RV's

I use the bubble wrap that the pans were wrapped in when I bought them. Works great and no $$$. Any bubble wrap would work fine.

Bob - Driver
Nancy - Navigator

2005 King Ranch F350 CC DRW 6.0 PSD FX4
50 gal. TransferFlow aux. fuel tank
Line-X bedliner
Integrated Prodigy brake controller
2004 Keystone Everest 343L
RotoChoks ~~~ C-Betr mirrors
Splendide 2100
Big Foot Levelers :E

JimBollman
Explorer
Explorer
GizmosMom wrote:

Looks useful, we use coffee filters and paper plates, cheaper but doesn't give much cushion if you are trying to protect glass.

Jim...

GizmosMom
Explorer
Explorer

Marilyn w/ Joe, 2016 Class C Sunseeker 2430 SF, often pulling a Ranger bass boat. Traveling with Trigger
Smudge & Gizmo are waiting at the Rainbow Bridge

Scrapz
Explorer
Explorer
DH made a new gadget. It's a dolly for our portable ice maker. He stained and varnished a piece of plywood and put casters on it. When we are traveling we keep the ice maker stored on the floor by the bed so it will be out of the way. I can lift the ice maker, but it's really too heavy for me to carry the length of the rv. With the dolly I can roll it where I want it, then lift it to the countertop or wherever I want it set up. Yes, dh could do the carrying, but he usually hops out when we get parked to get things hooked up outside while I set things up inside. Also, he is not always with me. I'm excited about this! Rolling that heavy ice maker will be so much better than carrying it.
Kathy :B

KLO
Explorer
Explorer
Maybe they are just trying to wait us out! I think we've proved we can kept this topic alive and well.

rocknrollpro
Explorer
Explorer
Beachcomer wrote:
Finish all 87 pages and like other, have a list of tips.

Thanks to all.

Ya think they would give us our own catagory!!!
Rocky
"Everydayz a Holiday"

2001 Ford F250 2WD Lariat Super Cab 7.3
2003 Outback 28' fiver 527RLS
1972 Ford F350 22' Beaver C Class!

Beachcomer
Explorer
Explorer
Finish all 87 pages and like other, have a list of tips.

Thanks to all.

Bobbo
Explorer II
Explorer II
This isn't really for the RV itself, but is great for the door of the garage where you park it. I installed mine today and it will give my DW much peace of mind. We can no longer forget to close the garage door.
http://www.garagebutler.com/
Bobbo and Lin
2017 F-150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab w/Max Tow Package 3.5l EcoBoost V6
2017 Airstream Flying Cloud 23FB

fleetwoodmac
Explorer
Explorer
GizmosMom wrote:
(Trying to bump up but thought I'd add something I read today)

Saw a post with a review for Thermocell Mosquito Repellant .

I had never heard of it. I did a very thorough Internet search for reviews today and found that 95% of the people who used it said it really works.

Thought I'd pass along if you didn't already read the post

We have one of these, used it for 23 days of camping this summer. It works great and is not smelly or messy. Replacement cartridges and pads readily available at Wal-Mart.
2010 Jamboree Sport 31M

wittmeba
Explorer
Explorer
Vader1 wrote:
OK, I like it, but is it safe wiring wise, will it or potentially cause any kind of short?

I believe it is. There is no voltage at the pin for the clearance lights. It is basically an open circuit when not connected to the tow vehicle.

While plugged into the TV your battery charger in your RV is fed from the TV.

While plugged into shore power, your battery charger in your RV is fed from the pedestal.

All you are doing is taking the output of 12VDC from the charger and putting it back into the clearance lights.

It is ok. But I do use the connector just so I dont accidently put a jumper in the wrong pin if only using a jumper with connectors that will reach the contacts in the connector.

While camping at Myrtle Beach a neighboring camper was really curious about how that was done. I took the connector to his RV and plugged it in and it too worked. Before we left I gave it to him. He loved it.

Here is a diagram if you need to visualize what is happening. Use the table and data for clarification.
http://www.marksrv.com/wiring.htm
You can look at this and see just how it would work. The +12VDC gets connected to the running lights terminal in the connector.
http://members.cox.net/bruce.wittmeier/images/RVWiring.jpg
NRA Member & supporter of the 2nd amendment - over 5,000,000 strong

Firefoxยฎ 33

Log home images - Updated 05/19/2013

Vader1
Explorer
Explorer
OK, I like it, but is it safe wiring wise, will it or potentially cause any kind of short?
Vader1 aka Jay
Wif aka Kim
Bear aka #1 pug
Chewy aka #2 pug
05 Ram 1500 Quad Cab 4x4 - Yeah it's got a HEMI
08 Crossroads Zinger 30BH