cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Handy Hints, Gadgets, Products & Gizmos

GizmosMom
Explorer
Explorer
Another member suggested a new forum section with new products but it doesn't look like it will be feasible. So I thought I would post this here under General RVing Issues. If enough people post (even if you have mentioned it before in another post) we can keep it near the top?

Do you have a handy hint, a new product or an old product that makes your RVing or Camping much better?

(Sorry, no commercial advertising allowed)

I'll start:

Someone in the Camping Van posted a reference to using a Super-Chamois to wipe down their shower. I have been using an icky old thick sponge and I like the chamois idea so much more.

Now I want to hear what works for you
Marilyn w/ Joe, 2016 Class C Sunseeker 2430 SF, often pulling a Ranger bass boat. Traveling with Trigger
Smudge & Gizmo are waiting at the Rainbow Bridge
3,560 REPLIES 3,560

Cruzette
Explorer
Explorer
To help parking in our campsite in the dark, we bought some orange cones and set them up as markers at the end of our campsite, one on the right, the other on the left. We have a couple of upright short flashlights that fit very nicely inside the cones and they illuminate the entire cone. Much easier for the DH to see when backing into our site in the dark. I also get on the walkie talkies and give verbal directions.
It doesn't matter where you go in life.........it's who you have beside you :B

Judy and DH Ray
Boomer & Petie Pie
2004 Country Coach 40' Inspire "Da Vinci"

wny_pat1
Explorer
Explorer
stfnwuf wrote:
Silveradomike wrote:
Stfnwul, do you mind me asking what the charge was to cut the plexiglass at the shop was? I think I may have to go that same route.

The cost was $65. I think she charged me for 1/8 plexi and not the 1/4" that I got.
You guys have to find a different hardware store!!! I only paid about $20 for mine. Made a template for the corner cust and they cut them for me too.
โ€œAll journeys have secret destinations of which the traveler is unaware.โ€

helperzack
Explorer
Explorer
Tvov wrote:
campkodiak23 wrote:
HI, just a few quick things we do... we use clothespins to keep the chip package closed~ works great. Try to remember to drag chairs under awning at night so dew/moisture stays off them.
Again, just a few things.. that might help some fellow camper.. keep the ideas coming !!

We use the clothespins all the time for chip bag closers, camping and at home. Also, the clothespins can be used to hang awning lights - cheezy lights. Keep a small bag with clothespins handy - you will be impressed how much you will use them.

We also put our chairs under the awning at bedtime. I usually just fold them up and lean them against the camper. I don't lay them on the ground, in case it rains and we get water running on the ground under the awning.

Along with this, I just sort of "straighten up" our campsite just before everyone goes to bed. That way when I wake up (usually the first one in the morning) and walk outside to enjoy a cup of coffee, I am not wading into a garbage dump.

We use clothespins on the front and rear gutter spouts, they work like the extenders and let the rain run to the end of the clothespin before dripping. Thus lessening the black streaks on the side.

Now you sometimes lose them. Just the other day while washing the MH, I knocked one off with my wash brush. It had been on there for about 2 years and it had turned black. Now I have to put a new one on.

Just clip one onto/into the gutter spout and the water will run down it to the end to drip. Away from the side.
Coachmen Mirada 310DS named "The Corporate Headquarters."
When camping I just tell clients that I am working at "Corporate Headquarters"

pasusan
Explorer
Explorer
I have always had a gripper pad for opening jars. I couldn't find any new ones, but I got an idea to use a piece of the rubber cupboard liners. I cut a bunch of pieces about 3 inches by five inches - some for the kitchen and some for the camper - they work great.

Susan & Ben [2004 Roadtrek 170]
href="https://sites.google.com/view/pasusan-trips/home" target="_blank">Trip Pics

stfnwuf
Explorer
Explorer
Silveradomike wrote:
Stfnwul, do you mind me asking what the charge was to cut the plexiglass at the shop was? I think I may have to go that same route.

The cost was $65. I think she charged me for 1/8 plexi and not the 1/4" that I got.
2016 Reflection 337RLS
2016 Ram 2500 Big Horn
Food source for one very ornery cat

tvman44
Explorer
Explorer
I use the refrigerator spring bars in the medicine cabinet to keep things from falling out when we open the door of the cabinet.
Papa Bob
1* 2008 Brookside by Sunnybrook 32'
1* 2002 F250 Super Duty 7.3L PSD
Husky 16K hitch, Tekonsha P3,
Firestone Ride Rite Air Springs, Trailair Equa-Flex, Champion C46540
"A bad day camping is better than a good day at work!"

ridingfamily4
Explorer
Explorer
campkodiak23 wrote:
Our Sunline bathroom is quite small and we never seem to have enough room to "change" in after shower, so we use large 'clamps" and hang a sheet across from bedroom cabinets to kitchen cabinet door, to make a little changing room. !!

I have a shower curtain rod that I put across the moho with drapes on it - the bedroom is too small to change in once the accordion door is closed, so I put the rod across just before the bathroom area. While the moho is in motion, I can take it down and store alongside the bed (with the curtains still on it). When we are not using the bedroom, the drapes are opened up.
The one who laughs last, thinks slowest! :B

2001 Minnie Winnie
2004 Enclosed trailer
2012 Artic Cat Wildcat
2013 Honda 400
2010 Honda 250
1991 Navy at A School
1995 Getting ready for college!
2001 Boxer

COMPUTER_PALL
Explorer
Explorer
paulb4333 wrote:
It seems that there's always something to do under the coach or under the toad...and it's tough to slide under there.

After scraping around in the dirt, gravel and cement, I finally came up with a way that makes working under there MUCH easier. I got a 1/4" sheet of melamine, the shiny white coated stuff at Home Depot or Lowes and cut a strip to the size of my biggest compartment.
You wouldn't believe how easy it is to slide under now as the melamine is slick.It weighs almost nothing and fits in the bottom of the compartment so really takes no space.

Wish I had thought of this earlier. Would have saved some scrapes, ruined shirts and lots of aggravation.

Paul

If you have one of those aluminized foldable reflectors that you put on the dash of your car up against the windshield to reflect the hot sunshine from heating up the inside, they work wonderfully to lay on under the rig.

Cruzette
Explorer
Explorer
Things were always falling out of our medicine cabinet when we first opened it up after traveling.

I had the DH cut a small piece of quarter round the length of each medicine cabinet shelf. We used some Gorilla Glue and clamped the quarter round in place until they were dry. The quarter round does a good job of keeping things from falling out.

I also found some very small narrow plastic drawer organizing bins that were narrow enough for the shelf. Great place to store small items and the quarter round keeps the bin in place too.
It doesn't matter where you go in life.........it's who you have beside you :B

Judy and DH Ray
Boomer & Petie Pie
2004 Country Coach 40' Inspire "Da Vinci"

HedoTravelers
Explorer
Explorer
Silveradomike wrote:

Just for comparison... I paid 3 cents a square inch for the plexi, and $2 flat to cut it. They only do straight cuts, so I roto-zipped the radius corners.
Respect,
Brent

TV ~
Searching for diesel TV, Prodigy
Rig ~
Keystone Montana 3400RL
Selling 2010 Keystone Passport 256RLS

"Wherever you go, there you are"

Scrapz
Explorer
Explorer
whencanwego wrote:

When we had a travel trailer I made a changing room by putting a tension curtain rod at end of living area and hanging a curtain panel in a color to match my decor. When not needed I pushed it to one side and everyone thought it was an original part of the camper. When closed it completely closed off the bedroom/bath area.

We do this too, except instead of pushing the curtain to the side, we take it down, roll it up and shove it into a closet. We only use it when we have guests. They know where I keep it so they can use it when they need it too.
Kathy :B

Silveradomike
Explorer
Explorer
2005 2500HD Duramax/Allison,Air-lift Bags,CST 4" Lift,Nitto 297/75/16
Reese 16k/4way Pivot,BlueOxe Bed Protector
2004 Northwood ArcticFox 27-5L,Honda 3000U Generator

whencanwego
Explorer
Explorer
"Our Sunline bathroom is quite small and we never seem to have enough room to "change" in after shower, so we use large 'clamps" and hang a sheet across from bedroom cabinets to kitchen cabinet door, to make a little changing room."

When we had a travel trailer I made a changing room by putting a tension curtain rod at end of living area and hanging a curtain panel in a color to match my decor. When not needed I pushed it to one side and everyone thought it was an original part of the camper. When closed it completely closed off the bedroom/bath area.

Tvov
Explorer
Explorer
campkodiak23 wrote:
HI, just a few quick things we do... we use clothespins to keep the chip package closed~ works great. Try to remember to drag chairs under awning at night so dew/moisture stays off them.
Again, just a few things.. that might help some fellow camper.. keep the ideas coming !!

We use the clothespins all the time for chip bag closers, camping and at home. Also, the clothespins can be used to hang awning lights - cheezy lights. Keep a small bag with clothespins handy - you will be impressed how much you will use them.

We also put our chairs under the awning at bedtime. I usually just fold them up and lean them against the camper. I don't lay them on the ground, in case it rains and we get water running on the ground under the awning.

Along with this, I just sort of "straighten up" our campsite just before everyone goes to bed. That way when I wake up (usually the first one in the morning) and walk outside to enjoy a cup of coffee, I am not wading into a garbage dump.

popeye59
Explorer
Explorer
Holder on Thingies is an industrial specific technical term but not one used much in marketing. Most of the times they are called clips. I was thinking that since my wife is very handy with a sewing machine (I mean she has made a few wedding dresses in the past), I'll bet she could sew up a bag to put them in so they wouldn't get scratched up and store them under our mattress. Might just look into getting some 1/8" Plexiglas or Lexan.
Frank and Jean
EM1 USN ret
DAV Life Member

'09 Rockwood Roo 233S
'03 1500 Silverado LS

The things that come to those that wait will be the junky stuff left by those that got there 1st.

Remember; never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups.