cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Handy Hints, Gadgets, Products & Gizmos

GizmosMom
Explorer
Explorer
Another member suggested a new forum section with new products but it doesn't look like it will be feasible. So I thought I would post this here under General RVing Issues. If enough people post (even if you have mentioned it before in another post) we can keep it near the top?

Do you have a handy hint, a new product or an old product that makes your RVing or Camping much better?

(Sorry, no commercial advertising allowed)

I'll start:

Someone in the Camping Van posted a reference to using a Super-Chamois to wipe down their shower. I have been using an icky old thick sponge and I like the chamois idea so much more.

Now I want to hear what works for you
Marilyn w/ Joe, 2016 Class C Sunseeker 2430 SF, often pulling a Ranger bass boat. Traveling with Trigger
Smudge & Gizmo are waiting at the Rainbow Bridge
3,560 REPLIES 3,560

buta4
Explorer
Explorer
Neat stuff about a product that I think will be helpful at home and RV! BORAX!~!

Clicky
Ray

StanleyandIris
Explorer
Explorer
Haven't read every post but here is something everyone with an bathroom shower should get - the Scubbing Bubbles Automatic Shower Cleaner. Never have to clean the shower walls or floor again. Just press the button after every use and it stays clean. Keeps glass doors clean too. About $25, takes 2 AA batteries and you buy refills. Really, really good.

Iris

Floridafrances
Explorer
Explorer
Hi all,

No hints, yet, as we're still waiting for the delivery of our first RV (due on the 30th!). But I've read through this entire post and just want to say a great big "thank you" to everyone. So much useful info that should help us newbies avoid some mistakes and/or re-inventing the wheel (so to speak).

I've bookmarked websites and have a good size word document of hints and ideas to edit into proper order. I also subscribed to this so I can keep up with posts.

I've gained a lot of knowledge from the various threads on this site. Thanks, again, to all who share.

Fran
Frances & Tom with 3 rescue cats - Peaches, Snippet,and BP. And in spirit Aja (Dec 2014) and Tipper (Oct 2016).
2011 Winnebago Vista 30W
2008 4 door Hardtop Wrangler Unlimited 4X4

teebee1
Explorer
Explorer
Repaired Day Night shades. Restring with 50# test fishing line. 150 yds cost 2.50 at Walmart. I completed mine in 1.5 hours including rehanging and adjustments. There are good instructions at: www.discoveryowners.com/daynightshades.asp
teebee1
2007 Four Winds Hurricane 34B
2006 Chrysler PT Cruiser turbo, convertible
retired and irresponsible

blossing
Explorer
Explorer
I use this mount for my scangauge http://www.blendmount.com/scangauge.html

Keeps it up and out of the way. Really nice.
B Lossing
USMC 90-98 Semper Fi!!
2014 Dodge RAM 2500 6.7
2007 Rockwood 8317

wannabegone
Explorer
Explorer
popeye59 wrote:
TMBLSN wrote:
jagco wrote:
If any of you has installed the Scanguage yourself, could you tell me just how complicated it is io install it? If you don't want to take up more of this thread, just PM me.

Nothing to install. You just plug it into the diagnostic port under your dash.

But if you're using it to monitor things like tranny temp while towing, where do you put the monitor? Do you velcro it down somewhere or what? I'm sure you don't just let it dangle.

I have mine velcro to the top of the steering column. Doesn't interfer with the instument panel and puts it in clear view
2005 Chevy Crew Cab 3500 6.6 Duramax
2008 Keystone Springdale 307FKLGL
2008 Lance 1181
1994 Harley Electra Glide Classic

tvman44
Explorer
Explorer
Velcro.
Papa Bob
1* 2008 Brookside by Sunnybrook 32'
1* 2002 F250 Super Duty 7.3L PSD
Husky 16K hitch, Tekonsha P3,
Firestone Ride Rite Air Springs, Trailair Equa-Flex, Champion C46540
"A bad day camping is better than a good day at work!"

popeye59
Explorer
Explorer
TMBLSN wrote:
jagco wrote:
If any of you has installed the Scanguage yourself, could you tell me just how complicated it is io install it? If you don't want to take up more of this thread, just PM me.

But if you're using it to monitor things like tranny temp while towing, where do you put the monitor? Do you velcro it down somewhere or what? I'm sure you don't just let it dangle.
Frank and Jean
EM1 USN ret
DAV Life Member

'09 Rockwood Roo 233S
'03 1500 Silverado LS

The things that come to those that wait will be the junky stuff left by those that got there 1st.

Remember; never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

jagco
Explorer
Explorer
TMBLSN wrote:
jagco wrote:

Cool! Thanks.
1977 Diamond Class C
(Ford E350, 460)

TMBLSN
Explorer
Explorer
jagco wrote:

Lee

jagco
Explorer
Explorer
1977 Diamond Class C
(Ford E350, 460)

tomman58
Explorer
Explorer
wannabegone wrote:
tomman58 wrote:
wannabegone wrote:
I agree 3 of my best purchases are the Scangauge, TPS system and a rearview camera. makes the trip much less stressful

I don't see anything on the Scangauge that my truck doesn't already show. Why do you feel it is needed?

My truck ( and most others ) has a DIC that gives all needed info and alarms for anything of importance.

Just wondering.

My 2000 truck does not have a transmission temp gauge and I did not want to tap into the cooler line. Plus last year my coolant temp sensor for the coolant temp gauge went out on a trip so it's nice to have a back up. plus if a code should set it gives you various live data to help find the problem.

Chris

Maybe time for a new truck! I almost got the itch after reading in the latest Trailer Life about the newest stuff on the GMCs and Duramax trucks. It was all good and now I will wait till the styling change and most likely beg the DW and get one LOL.
2015 GMC D/A, CC 4x4/ Z71 ,3.73,IBC SLT+
2018 Jayco 338RETS
2 Trek bikes
Honda EU2000i
It must be time to go, the suns out and I've got a full tank of diesel!
We have a granite fireplace hearth! Love to be a little different.

wannabegone
Explorer
Explorer
tomman58 wrote:
wannabegone wrote:
I agree 3 of my best purchases are the Scangauge, TPS system and a rearview camera. makes the trip much less stressful

I don't see anything on the Scangauge that my truck doesn't already show. Why do you feel it is needed?

My truck ( and most others ) has a DIC that gives all needed info and alarms for anything of importance.

Just wondering.

My 2000 truck does not have a transmission temp gauge and I did not want to tap into the cooler line. Plus last year my coolant temp sensor for the coolant temp gauge went out on a trip so it's nice to have a back up. plus if a code should set it gives you various live data to help find the problem.

Chris
2005 Chevy Crew Cab 3500 6.6 Duramax
2008 Keystone Springdale 307FKLGL
2008 Lance 1181
1994 Harley Electra Glide Classic

tomman58
Explorer
Explorer
I carry a list of my meds (15 of them) on a printed sheet that is not much bigger that a business card.
The list is copied several times and when I go to one of my docs I just give the list to the nurse and she puts it on their fact sheet. Saves a lot of time.
You can do the same if you have Microsoft Word as it is easy to make it to the size you want.
2015 GMC D/A, CC 4x4/ Z71 ,3.73,IBC SLT+
2018 Jayco 338RETS
2 Trek bikes
Honda EU2000i
It must be time to go, the suns out and I've got a full tank of diesel!
We have a granite fireplace hearth! Love to be a little different.

jagco
Explorer
Explorer
Wife'nHubby wrote:
Keeping a list in our wallets is mandatory for hubby's issues. Hey - a list is a VERY small thing to carry.

At least this summer we can travel for the first time in almost 4 years. Prior to that, we had to stay within 1 hour of hubby's hospital.

Yeah, right, I said "We can travel" - after two artificial hearts and a heart transplant we are so broke now we can't afford to travel. Anyone else find that ironic like we do?

Shari

I know exactly what you're talking about. I went through the same thing while I was on dialysis, waiting for a kidney to come along. Had to stay within an hour of the hospital, and could never be away from cell phone (just in case). I finally ended up being given a kidney from someone from our church, after all my friends and family were ruled out for various reasons. Now the meds I have to take eat up most of my check, but it sure beats the heck out of dialysis, and I have become very close to my donor and her family. I can now be as far as I want from the hospital, but who can afford to travel? I still have to be able to find a lab once a month too, to check all my various levels.
1977 Diamond Class C
(Ford E350, 460)