cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Handy Hints, Gadgets, Products & Gizmos

GizmosMom
Explorer
Explorer
Another member suggested a new forum section with new products but it doesn't look like it will be feasible. So I thought I would post this here under General RVing Issues. If enough people post (even if you have mentioned it before in another post) we can keep it near the top?

Do you have a handy hint, a new product or an old product that makes your RVing or Camping much better?

(Sorry, no commercial advertising allowed)

I'll start:

Someone in the Camping Van posted a reference to using a Super-Chamois to wipe down their shower. I have been using an icky old thick sponge and I like the chamois idea so much more.

Now I want to hear what works for you
Marilyn w/ Joe, 2016 Class C Sunseeker 2430 SF, often pulling a Ranger bass boat. Traveling with Trigger
Smudge & Gizmo are waiting at the Rainbow Bridge
3,560 REPLIES 3,560

fj12ryder
Explorer III
Explorer III
It's not the width of the slide-out, it the distance the slide-out protruded from the trailer. That way you can easily check to see if the trailer will fit somewhere when the slides are out, won't hit any trees and the like.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

wildmanbaker
Explorer
Explorer
sprint180 wrote:
OK I'm fairly new to camping. What does a pvc pipe the width of slide out do?

It gives you an idea of if you are too close to something for the slide to fully extend. Could save you time and damage.
Wildmanbaker

sprint180
Explorer
Explorer
OK I'm fairly new to camping. What does a pvc pipe the width of slide out do?

Scott_85
Explorer
Explorer
Just finished the whole tread. My tip: I have a piece of pvc pipe cut to the height of the hitch to hook up the truck. It also has lines marked for the width of the slideouts.
TV: 2013 Ram 2500 Laramie, G56, Andersen Ultimate 5th Wheel Hitch.
5er: 2013 Coachmen Chaparral 280RLS

Carb_Cleaner
Explorer
Explorer
kebmw wrote:
I know the list of pics to take with your phone is endless, but just had this experience at the RV dealership: Went for annual inspection and as they were getting the vehicle information off the sticker on the side of the RV I noticed it was getting so faded from the sun that it might not be readable in the near future. So I snapped a picture of it ...

A print shop can probably make a sticker from a decent photo, if you wanted a new, legible sticker.
When we empty a cereal box, beer box, or some other cardboard item, we stash the folded-flat boxes under a seat cushion, awaiting a proper recycle bin. Space is tight in a truck camper.
'13 F250XL SC gas 4x4 8', Camper & Plow packages, StableLoads, LT285/65R-18 Goodyear Wrangler A/T Adventure, 18x9 Ultra Motorsports "Phantom" wheels
'12 Wolf Creek 850 TC Coleman Polar Cub 9.2k A/C, 90 watt solar, dual propane & batteries, Maggie Rack

tomman58
Explorer
Explorer
Costco offered some red plastic baskets that can hold 22 lbs of stuff. Our TT has a huge shower even has a seat so we load a basket with all the shower stuff shampoo, soaps in use, gallon water jugs for toilet when not having water on board, even some plants. The basket stays in the shower and is a great spot to keep stuff that might move around while driving.
2015 GMC D/A, CC 4x4/ Z71 ,3.73,IBC SLT+
2018 Jayco 338RETS
2 Trek bikes
Honda EU2000i
It must be time to go, the suns out and I've got a full tank of diesel!
We have a granite fireplace hearth! Love to be a little different.

dcmac214
Explorer
Explorer
skipro3 wrote:
I hate it when I open the bathroom medicine cabinet and everything comes tumbling out. Here's a fix Available at Amazon;

We use smallish low-side plastic baskets something like this that serve the same function. Been a few years since we got them, came in a 3-pak for something like $2. They're an absolutely perfect fit for the medicine cabinet, 4 baskets side-by-side across. Makes it real easy moving that stuff in & out of the RV.

dave54
Explorer III
Explorer III
Wrace wrote:
Turner, P wrote:
Phone Camera Uses;

I probably missed this but here are a couple tips. Use your phone to take pictures of your VIN, your license plate, your driver's license and any medications you have. Really the list is endless.

Good idea. I use mine to take pictures of my parking spot at the airport and such, but hadn't thought about recording the vin numbers... ๐Ÿ™‚

Almost every state now has their fishing regulations in a downloadable pdf file. I download the local regs to my phone before each trip. Also tourist brochures and other local info.

When along a coastline, I use a tide table app to know when high and low tides.
=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=
So many campsites, so little time...
~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~

Jeanne_M
Explorer
Explorer
Nerissa30346 wrote:
Hi There, new to forum and love this topic. I have copied and pasted a lot of the wonderful tips, gadgets etc from this forum.

Does anyone use any apps for finding campgrounds etc. I came across the Allstay app, wondered if anyone could provide any feedback.

Thanks,
Nerissa

Yes...one that I use is Camp Finder at CampingRoadTrip.com, Good Sam App, and I use the website rvparkreviews.com most of the time. If you Google rv parks you'll get a slew of websites. Not all have apps but if you have data/wifi abilities on your cell phone, you can use the websites.

Happy hunting!
Jeanne & Kenny
2005 Itasca Horizon 36GD, Freightliner Evolution Chassis, Cat 350
1992 Honda Accord
And Bailey, our furry traveling companion
Good Sam, TT/Naco,PA,RPI,AOR,C2C,FMCA #F151328
Our Pictures

Ski_Pro_3
Explorer
Explorer
I hate it when I open the bathroom medicine cabinet and everything comes tumbling out. Here's a fix;

Available at Amazon;
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00RZTCGDI/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Monster9903
Explorer
Explorer
Great thread.
My tip is to hang the door lights along awnings down ropes etc... I use binder clips. Take a binder clip and zip tie it to the rope light at regular intervals and you have a light you can attach almost anywhere.
Charlie & Robin
Daughter Sam and Son Nate
2000 Chevy Silverado
2014 Jayco Jay Feather X18D

Merrykalia
Explorer
Explorer
We flew to Fl last week and rented a car for 10 days. I took a pic of the tag so DH would have it when we checked into hotels. He used it several times.
2017 Ford F350 Crew Cab 6.7L 4x4 DRW

tvman44
Explorer
Explorer
Good. idea & Good point!
kebmw wrote:
I know the list of pics to take with your phone is endless, but just had this experience at the RV dealership: Went for annual inspection and as they were getting the vehicle information off the sticker on the side of the RV I noticed it was getting so faded from the sun that it might not be readable in the near future. So I snapped a picture of it and made sure it got loaded into my dropbox storage so I can access it at any point in the future from the different devices I use even if I don't keep my current phone.

As for security, I have apps to lock my phone, track my phone and remotely wipe my phone and that's about as protected as I think I can get right now. You can never be 100% unhackable but at some point I figure I just need to live in the digital age and not stress about it too much anymore.

~Karin

3ares wrote:
Posted: 04/24/15 05:26pm Link | Quote | Print | Notify Moderator
Phone Camera Uses;

I probably missed this but here are a couple tips. Use your phone to take pictures of your VIN, your license plate, your driver's license and any medications you have. Really the list is endless.

Paul T

Good points; I've used mine for recording a fender bender-pictures remove all dough
Papa Bob
1* 2008 Brookside by Sunnybrook 32'
1* 2002 F250 Super Duty 7.3L PSD
Husky 16K hitch, Tekonsha P3,
Firestone Ride Rite Air Springs, Trailair Equa-Flex, Champion C46540
"A bad day camping is better than a good day at work!"

kebmw
Explorer
Explorer
I know the list of pics to take with your phone is endless, but just had this experience at the RV dealership: Went for annual inspection and as they were getting the vehicle information off the sticker on the side of the RV I noticed it was getting so faded from the sun that it might not be readable in the near future. So I snapped a picture of it and made sure it got loaded into my dropbox storage so I can access it at any point in the future from the different devices I use even if I don't keep my current phone.

As for security, I have apps to lock my phone, track my phone and remotely wipe my phone and that's about as protected as I think I can get right now. You can never be 100% unhackable but at some point I figure I just need to live in the digital age and not stress about it too much anymore.

~Karin

3ares wrote:
Posted: 04/24/15 05:26pm Link | Quote | Print | Notify Moderator
Phone Camera Uses;

Paul T

Good points; I've used mine for recording a fender bender-pictures remove all dough

pkunk
Explorer
Explorer
skipro3 wrote:
If someone gets hold of that phone, they'll have access to all that information about you.
Not if you have it so it needs a password to unlock it.:S
1999 Coachman Mirada 34 ft.V10-F53 chassis
12ft.LR slide-2 gp31 AGM 12V @220AH