cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Handy Hints, Gadgets, Products & Gizmos

GizmosMom
Explorer
Explorer
Another member suggested a new forum section with new products but it doesn't look like it will be feasible. So I thought I would post this here under General RVing Issues. If enough people post (even if you have mentioned it before in another post) we can keep it near the top?

Do you have a handy hint, a new product or an old product that makes your RVing or Camping much better?

(Sorry, no commercial advertising allowed)

I'll start:

Someone in the Camping Van posted a reference to using a Super-Chamois to wipe down their shower. I have been using an icky old thick sponge and I like the chamois idea so much more.

Now I want to hear what works for you
Marilyn w/ Joe, 2016 Class C Sunseeker 2430 SF, often pulling a Ranger bass boat. Traveling with Trigger
Smudge & Gizmo are waiting at the Rainbow Bridge
3,560 REPLIES 3,560

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
OK, BUMP it is.

I built these out of 3/4" solid core underlayment grade Douglas Fir plywood. By raising the landing gear rams it made for a more solid platform. Also the popping in the hydraulic system stopped. I added a 3" lift at MORryde to get the RV level so the rams were then 3" higher off the ground.

I used 2" coated #10 drywall type screws and PL construction adhesive to assemble.

1/4" rubber padding and "D" rings came from AMAZON.

2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

dcmac214
Explorer
Explorer
Bump.

Okie_in_Wyoming
Explorer
Explorer
Tvov wrote:
Okie in Wyoming wrote:
I found an answer to the floor vent problem of catching dirt, bugs etc. I bought a box of knee high stockings (8 pair in a box) at the dollar store. I took the vent cover off, slipped the stocking over it, tucked the end under and screwed the cover back on. What the top layer doesn't catch, the bottom layer does!
The stocking didn't "run" when I put the screws back in, and if it wears out, I can replace it very easily! And the stocking (suntan shade) are the perfect color to blend in!

I need to remember this! Friends have a Jayco with floor vents, and multiple yellow labs. Fur and dirt gets everywhere!

We had 2 dogs that shed quite a bit. This 'fix' kept the hair out of the floor vents! I was amazed at how well it works. Sadly both of our precious furboys passed away this summer.
Hope this works as good for your friend.
Smiles across the Miles
Darling Husband
2 Wonderful Dogs
And Me
2007 Dodge 2500 Quad Cab(Diesel)
2010 Cougar 276RLS

Tvov
Explorer
Explorer
Okie in Wyoming wrote:
I found an answer to the floor vent problem of catching dirt, bugs etc. I bought a box of knee high stockings (8 pair in a box) at the dollar store. I took the vent cover off, slipped the stocking over it, tucked the end under and screwed the cover back on. What the top layer doesn't catch, the bottom layer does!
The stocking didn't "run" when I put the screws back in, and if it wears out, I can replace it very easily! And the stocking (suntan shade) are the perfect color to blend in!

I need to remember this! Friends have a Jayco with floor vents, and multiple yellow labs. Fur and dirt gets everywhere!

Okie_in_Wyoming
Explorer
Explorer
Smiles across the Miles
Darling Husband
2 Wonderful Dogs
And Me
2007 Dodge 2500 Quad Cab(Diesel)
2010 Cougar 276RLS

Ski_Pro_3
Explorer
Explorer
suerover wrote:
This was not on the outdoor ladder but on the cabover bed ladder.

OH!
Well, never mind...

Ha!

My Lance has stairs, steps, no ladder. I didn't realize campers had ladders inside to reach the bed.

suerover
Explorer
Explorer
This was not on the outdoor ladder but on the cabover bed ladder.
www.ourtravelswithrover.com
2002 24 RB Born Free/1999 23 RK Born Free

Ski_Pro_3
Explorer
Explorer
What are you guys wearing on your feet, house slippers or barefoot? Sturdy shoes makes the ladder comfortable. Modifying the ladder rungs is asking for trouble in my opinion. Neither of those 'solutions' are designed for continuous outdoor exposure and will fail at some point.

suerover
Explorer
Explorer
To make our ladder steps more comfortable I applied a strip of the fuzzy side of 3" sticky back velcro on the rungs. It feels like thin carpet.
www.ourtravelswithrover.com
2002 24 RB Born Free/1999 23 RK Born Free

dcmac214
Explorer
Explorer

Put sealing foam pipe insulation around the loft ladder rungs this weekend. The kids don't care but for me & DW the rungs are extremely uncomfortable to climb or stand on to clean things up up there. The edges seem to stick together pretty good but just to be sure the insulation doesn't roll or come off I put a zip tie tight about an inch from the ends.

The insulation doesn't quite cure the problem but sure makes the rungs a lot easier on our old footsies.

Used the firmer of the two choices -- polyethylene?
The "wiggly stuff" along the insulation is a strip of plastic to protect the edging glue. Glue is on both edges and sticks pretty good once you press the edges tight.

dcmac214
Explorer
Explorer
(Hope this isn't a re-post)
An overly chilly night last fall, DW put the heater on (1st time in a few years)(all the vents are in the floor) and clouds of dead bugs and other stuff got blown out. First project after getting back home was putting fiberglass screening on the underside of all the registers. Some dust might drop thru and rise again when the heat's on but the bugs and other stuff stay on top and are easily vacuumed.

tinstartrvlr
Explorer
Explorer
Okay trying this post again. Think beemerphile is right.
It only took 5 days for me to read all the threads but wow, lots of great ideas! Time to share.
I don't take credit for this idea but found it works nicely and is so simple.
To block the skylights, I got some vinyl "J" channel and some reflectix from the big box store. The j channel is used for vinyl siding. Cut two pieces of the j channel the length of the skylight, and using the existing screws, put one on each side of the skylight. Then just slide in a piece of reflectix. Works great to eliminate about 90 percent of the light and heat. And if you want to let a little light in, just slide the reflectix back a little bit. And another bonus, it weighs practically nothing.
I would post some pics but still haven't figured that out.

beemerphile1
Explorer
Explorer
tinstartrvlr wrote:
test

Trying to post an idea but it seems any more than a few words I get "page can't be displayed". Anyone know why?

That happens if the percent symbol is in your post anywhere.
Build a life you don't need a vacation from.

2016 Silverado 3500HD DRW D/A 4x4
2018 Keystone Cougar 26RBS
2006 Weekend Warrior FK1900

dalenoel
Explorer II
Explorer II
tinstartrvlr wrote:
test

Trying to post an idea but it seems any more than a few words I get "page can't be displayed". Anyone know why?

You had over 50 posts in this month so something must be working.
03 Monaco Neptune 36PBD DP - 18 Focus Toad
Wife, myself, and Oreo the Malshi

Ski_Pro_3
Explorer
Explorer
tinstartrvlr wrote:
test

Because the software for this forum is poorly written and the owners won't step up to anything better. It's very frustrating. I rarely post anymore because of it.