cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Handy Hints, Gadgets, Products & Gizmos

GizmosMom
Explorer
Explorer
Another member suggested a new forum section with new products but it doesn't look like it will be feasible. So I thought I would post this here under General RVing Issues. If enough people post (even if you have mentioned it before in another post) we can keep it near the top?

Do you have a handy hint, a new product or an old product that makes your RVing or Camping much better?

(Sorry, no commercial advertising allowed)

I'll start:

Someone in the Camping Van posted a reference to using a Super-Chamois to wipe down their shower. I have been using an icky old thick sponge and I like the chamois idea so much more.

Now I want to hear what works for you
Marilyn w/ Joe, 2016 Class C Sunseeker 2430 SF, often pulling a Ranger bass boat. Traveling with Trigger
Smudge & Gizmo are waiting at the Rainbow Bridge
3,560 REPLIES 3,560

Wife_nHubby
Explorer
Explorer
Keeping a list in our wallets is mandatory for hubby's issues. Hey - a list is a VERY small thing to carry.

At least this summer we can travel for the first time in almost 4 years. Prior to that, we had to stay within 1 hour of hubby's hospital.

Yeah, right, I said "We can travel" - after two artificial hearts and a heart transplant we are so broke now we can't afford to travel. Anyone else find that ironic like we do?

Shari
Wisconsin - the best place to be!

Elwoodj
Explorer
Explorer
DH has been reading RV.net for a long time, I finally started reading a short time ago and these posts were the best. I learned a lot and now I know I will be reading on a regular basis. Thanks to all.
Elwood & Kathy
36' CK3 Mobile Suite - 2006
2004 Dodge Ram Cummins 6 speed
HO 600 373

jagco
Explorer
Explorer
I actually take too many medications, and have too many health issues, to put on a reasonable size wallet card, so I wear a Medic Alert (http://www.medicalert.org/) bracelet. They have all my info, including phone numbers for emergency contacts and doctors. The paramedic or EMT can just call the phone number (it says call collect) on my bracelet and have everything they need to know about me. I believe there are other companies that have a similar program. Medic Alert is just the one I use. There's an annual fee, but it seems very reasonable for what all they do.
1977 Diamond Class C
(Ford E350, 460)

TreeSeeker
Explorer
Explorer
I would be leary of using an online site to create a medical card. Most that I have seen are not on secure sites, and you don't know if the hosting company is collecting this sensitive personal information.

I just made one using a word processor.

alstont
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you for mentioning that. When my dad had his heart attack he was traveling with my brother in Minnesota. My dad took a slew of meds and my mom made sure he had a current list in his wallet at all times. That, along with the prompt medical attention, helped to save his life. He is now in a care home but she still carries a current list with her - just in case.

The address got too ugly for me to paste for an on-line (printable) version of a wallet card. You can go to www.drugdigest.org and follow the link for "Interactive Tools", which will lead you to the printable medication card. I carry a laminated one in my wallet. As an EMT myself, I like to see updated prescription/contact information to answer in an emergency when you or someone else can't.

toprudder
Explorer
Explorer
tomman58 wrote:
wannabegone wrote:
I agree 3 of my best purchases are the Scangauge, TPS system and a rearview camera. makes the trip much less stressful

I don't see anything on the Scangauge that my truck doesn't already show. Why do you feel it is needed?

My truck ( and most others ) has a DIC that gives all needed info and alarms for anything of importance.

Just wondering.

My 2007 Chevy has a DIC, but it does not report everything the Scangauge does. Besides the gauges, it also is a code scanner so if the "check engine" light comes on, you can read the code and reset it.

My truck's DIC will show the mpg, but it only has one counter. The scanguage will show the mpg for the tank, for the current trip (resettable), for the previous day, etc. It will also show the max speed, average speed, max water temp, max rpm, fuel used, fuel left, fuel expense, distance travelled, distance till tank empty, and several other things for each of the trip counters that I can't remember right now. My DIC only shows one value (I know some vehicles can show multiple things at once) while the scangauge can show 4 items at once. You can select any 4 things. I usually have it set to display instant mpg, engine load, tank mpg, and voltage.

My DIC will show a few things the scangauge won't, like oil life, fuel filter life, engine hours, etc.

Before I installed it in my Chevy, I used it in my Nissan Frontier. I was able to figure out how to change my driving habits to increase my average mileage from 26 to 32 mpg. Some things were obvious (no jack rabbit starts) but others were not so obvious, like shift points (it has a manual transmission) and if coasting, put it in neutral (yes, that makes a difference!). I even changed my driving route to work, one with more stops/starts since I figured out how to get more mileage under those conditions.

If the your DIC shows everything you are concerned about, then I guess you don't need a scangauge. I like mine, however.
Bob, Martha, and Matt.
Tucker, the Toy Poodle
'09 K-Z MXT20, '07 Chevy 2500HD Duramax

Toprudder.com

hokeypokey
Explorer
Explorer
Our Snowbird neighbor told me its a common practice down South to keep all medication bottles in a zip plastic bag on top of the refrigerator. If they have a medical emergency, then the ambulance people can grab the bag & take it along.

tomman58
Explorer
Explorer
wannabegone wrote:
I agree 3 of my best purchases are the Scangauge, TPS system and a rearview camera. makes the trip much less stressful

I don't see anything on the Scangauge that my truck doesn't already show. Why do you feel it is needed?

My truck ( and most others ) has a DIC that gives all needed info and alarms for anything of importance.

Just wondering.
2015 GMC D/A, CC 4x4/ Z71 ,3.73,IBC SLT+
2018 Jayco 338RETS
2 Trek bikes
Honda EU2000i
It must be time to go, the suns out and I've got a full tank of diesel!
We have a granite fireplace hearth! Love to be a little different.

wannabegone
Explorer
Explorer
2005 Chevy Crew Cab 3500 6.6 Duramax
2008 Keystone Springdale 307FKLGL
2008 Lance 1181
1994 Harley Electra Glide Classic

stfnwuf
Explorer
Explorer
Poppy & Nana wrote:
stfnwuf wrote:
John Wayne wrote:
Make little business cards (paper) that you can put down the campground your staying at and how long and site number (fill in the blanks style) to keep in front of your drivers lic. so when out on side trips in the toad or TV. So if some thing happens they know where your rig is. And if you have pets put on the card that pets are in the rig.

That is a great idea. And, an emergency contact number (other than the CG) can also be on that card.

This is not necessarily a "TT" gadget or gizmo but it goes along the lines of the business card idea......as an EMT I have come across many visitors to our Adirondack playground, who have medical issues and take prescription meds.....if we transport them they don't always remember what their problems are or the meds (and dosages) that they take ....I always suggest that they make a sheet with all the pertinent info, including name, address, Primary Care Physician info, who to contact in case of emergency, allergies, know medical conditions, list of meds, including dosage. I've made them for DH and my Mother, as well as myself......it sure does help medical personnel who may not know you and your conditions! I was transporting a patient who had chest pain, the Paramedic was going to give him Morphine...the patient said he had NO allergies and no know medical problems....I knew his wife and called her cell - low and behold he is allergic to Morphine and he is on Kidney dialysis....whole 'nother take on his problems......we could have made his kidney problem MUCH worse by administering Morphine!!!!

Thank you for mentioning that. When my dad had his heart attack he was traveling with my brother in Minnesota. My dad took a slew of meds and my mom made sure he had a current list in his wallet at all times. That, along with the prompt medical attention, helped to save his life. He is now in a care home but she still carries a current list with her - just in case.
2016 Reflection 337RLS
2016 Ram 2500 Big Horn
Food source for one very ornery cat

schneid
Explorer
Explorer
+1 for ScanGauge.

http://www.scangauge.com/

toprudder
Explorer
Explorer
I don't think it has been mentioned in this thread, but one of the more useful things I have purchased is a scangauge. Gives me all sorts of useful information about my tow vehicle while travelling. Also, I would not be without my tire pressure monitor system. Gives me peace of mind while travelling down the road, and checking all air pressures before leaving is as simple as looking at one display.
Bob, Martha, and Matt.
Tucker, the Toy Poodle
'09 K-Z MXT20, '07 Chevy 2500HD Duramax

Toprudder.com

Poppy___Nana
Explorer
Explorer
stfnwuf wrote:
John Wayne wrote:
Make little business cards (paper) that you can put down the campground your staying at and how long and site number (fill in the blanks style) to keep in front of your drivers lic. so when out on side trips in the toad or TV. So if some thing happens they know where your rig is. And if you have pets put on the card that pets are in the rig.

That is a great idea. And, an emergency contact number (other than the CG) can also be on that card.

This is not necessarily a "TT" gadget or gizmo but it goes along the lines of the business card idea......as an EMT I have come across many visitors to our Adirondack playground, who have medical issues and take prescription meds.....if we transport them they don't always remember what their problems are or the meds (and dosages) that they take ....I always suggest that they make a sheet with all the pertinent info, including name, address, Primary Care Physician info, who to contact in case of emergency, allergies, know medical conditions, list of meds, including dosage. I've made them for DH and my Mother, as well as myself......it sure does help medical personnel who may not know you and your conditions! I was transporting a patient who had chest pain, the Paramedic was going to give him Morphine...the patient said he had NO allergies and no know medical problems....I knew his wife and called her cell - low and behold he is allergic to Morphine and he is on Kidney dialysis....whole 'nother take on his problems......we could have made his kidney problem MUCH worse by administering Morphine!!!!
Leo & Kathy
Upstate, NY
in the Adirondacks

2013 Rubicon 2900 Toy Hauler
2008 - Ford F250 Super Crew 4x4

Oshow
Explorer
Explorer
Don't have a tip. This just needs a little nudge to the top!!! And a sticky!!!

stfnwuf
Explorer
Explorer
John Wayne wrote:

2016 Reflection 337RLS
2016 Ram 2500 Big Horn
Food source for one very ornery cat