cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Handy Hints, Gadgets, Products & Gizmos

GizmosMom
Explorer
Explorer
Another member suggested a new forum section with new products but it doesn't look like it will be feasible. So I thought I would post this here under General RVing Issues. If enough people post (even if you have mentioned it before in another post) we can keep it near the top?

Do you have a handy hint, a new product or an old product that makes your RVing or Camping much better?

(Sorry, no commercial advertising allowed)

I'll start:

Someone in the Camping Van posted a reference to using a Super-Chamois to wipe down their shower. I have been using an icky old thick sponge and I like the chamois idea so much more.

Now I want to hear what works for you
Marilyn w/ Joe, 2016 Class C Sunseeker 2430 SF, often pulling a Ranger bass boat. Traveling with Trigger
Smudge & Gizmo are waiting at the Rainbow Bridge
3,560 REPLIES 3,560

bakerkids
Explorer
Explorer
pastor mary wrote:
My question for you all, as I ponder moving up from my tent, is: how can I decorate the thing? Every one I have looked at has white or beige walls and I am a primary color girl. Can I paint the wallboard? Is wallpaper out of the question due to moisture?
Thanks!
PM
Teak Shower Mat

You can color the walls in other ways, i.e. posters, scrapbook items, sew-on patches, etc.

And use other types of color...
Me '62, DH '59, DS '89, DD '90, DD '92
1 shih tzu
Our photos

wiskeyVI
Explorer
Explorer
I've used the zip lock idea at the SB. Works great for keeping the alarms from sounding when bug bombing after extended trips.

Blueflame1
Explorer
Explorer
The smoke alarm in out TT also goes off when making breakfast, toast, bacon etc. We open the door and windows WIDE OPEN to clear the "smoke", in the winter this would not be too practical though. So will remember your zip-lock bag trick.

Best mod so far is adding a 2nd 12V house battery (Marine/Deep Cycle)for camping in the boonies.

Also, installed some hooks on the bathroom door. The ones that just slide over the top of the door. No drilling required.

An expandable shower rod in the bathroom, to hang towels etc. No drilling required.

Considering replaceing the lights with LED's.

Okie_in_Wyoming
Explorer
Explorer
Our smoke alarm goes off when I am cooking bacon and sausage (and I am not burning it! :D.) I found that a quart size zip lock bag fits over it perfectly! The "zipper" holds it to the alarm and the rest of the bag just hangs there. I'll try to take a photo of this and post it later.
So before I cook breakfast I slip a zip lock on the alarm and cook in peace!
(I remove the zip lock after breakfast)

Happy Trails, Okie
Smiles across the Miles
Darling Husband
2 Wonderful Dogs
And Me
2007 Dodge 2500 Quad Cab(Diesel)
2010 Cougar 276RLS

Lee185
Explorer
Explorer
It took me a few days but I read every page.

Picked up alot of really good tips.

Another vote for a sticky. Thanks again, Lee
2019 F-250 Crew Cab FX4 Short Bed 6.7L
2019 Dutchmen Atlas 3252 MBF

MrWizard
Our first class A, 23 ft had a wet bath, when showing I.covered the toilet wth a plastic trash bag to keep the.water out and avoid excess water into the black tank, other wise it filled up to fast
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

TXcampingfamily
Explorer
Explorer
Handy Hint:

Tired of stubbing your toe on the dinette table leg? Need a solution to easy some pain? Cut off part of a pool noodle put it around the base of the leg. You will still stub your toe, but it will not hurt as much! ๐Ÿ™‚

Gin & Mike + 2 TD (tax deductions)
2009 Fleetwood Fiesta Bunkhouse
2009 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited

toprudder
Explorer
Explorer
Never heard of the cotton/vaseline before. I've made fire starters with woodchips/sawdust and melted wax. The cotton and vaseline sounds easier, you can make them when you need them instead of having to make them ahead of time.
Bob, Martha, and Matt.
Tucker, the Toy Poodle
'09 K-Z MXT20, '07 Chevy 2500HD Duramax

Toprudder.com

Zen_Girl
Explorer
Explorer
I'm not sure if I've seen this here already, but I make campfire starters with cotton balls and vaseline. I've also made them with cardboard egg cartons, dryer lint and melted wax. The only problem with the egg carton ones is that I've had them melt in the MH storage bay due to the heat. What a mess.

Making fire starters with cotton balls and vaseline is as easy as rubbing vaseline into a cottonball and setting it on fire. You get a decent amount of burn time for so little material.

Okie_in_Wyoming
Explorer
Explorer
pastor mary wrote:

My question for you all, as I ponder moving up from my tent, is: how can I decorate the thing? Every one I have looked at has white or beige walls and I am a primary color girl. Can I paint the wallboard? Is wallpaper out of the question due to moisture?
Thanks!
PM
Teak Shower Mat

When we had our 1977 mini Class C the vinyl wallpaper was really outdated and very dark, so I cleaned it and painted it. It came out really nice! Brightened up the area so much, we were amazed!
I used a washable (vinyl?, I think?) paint since it was mainly used on the kitchen walls.
I haven't painted paper wallpaper but I guess you can. Maybe others will know that answer for sure.
We also had a wet bath in that Class C. I just wiped down the walls and floor and let it air dry. Wasn't much maintenance involved. Just don't make my mistake (I only made it once!) and forget to move the toilet paper out of the bathroom before your shower! Ha! Good thing we had another roll in the mh!

Happy Trails!
Smiles across the Miles
Darling Husband
2 Wonderful Dogs
And Me
2007 Dodge 2500 Quad Cab(Diesel)
2010 Cougar 276RLS

lowryfarm
Explorer
Explorer
We had a wet bath in our pop-up and I loved it. It was so much larger than the tiny shower I have in my 33' trailer. After showering I just took my washcloth and wiped everything down, wringing it out right over the drain before I got out of the shower. I did read where someone else took one of the bathmats with the rubber backing to put in the bottom when not using it as a shower because there was always a few drops of water left in the bottom and I always seemed to find them with my socks in the middle of the night. I would think that the teak mat would stay wet for a while after you finished your shower. I would like to have one of the teak mats for showering off outside after we get back from the beach but I didn't want to spend that much and didn't want the weight so we got one of the grass mats that you use on the beach for $3.00. It weighs almost nothing, dries quickly and rolls up to almost nothing for traveling.

popeye59
Explorer
Explorer
pasusan wrote:
popeye59 wrote:
Ummm, what's a "wet" bathroom?

When the bathroom is the shower - the toilet and sink are actually "in" the shower. When you take a shower it all gets "wet".

Gotcha.
Frank and Jean
EM1 USN ret
DAV Life Member

'09 Rockwood Roo 233S
'03 1500 Silverado LS

The things that come to those that wait will be the junky stuff left by those that got there 1st.

Remember; never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

pasusan
Explorer
Explorer
popeye59 wrote:

When the bathroom is the shower - the toilet and sink are actually "in" the shower. When you take a shower it all gets "wet".

Susan & Ben [2004 Roadtrek 170]
href="https://sites.google.com/view/pasusan-trips/home" target="_blank">Trip Pics

popeye59
Explorer
Explorer
Frank and Jean
EM1 USN ret
DAV Life Member

'09 Rockwood Roo 233S
'03 1500 Silverado LS

The things that come to those that wait will be the junky stuff left by those that got there 1st.

Remember; never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

BirdSongPlace
Explorer
Explorer
If you plan on using a "wet" bathroom regularly, you have to know that they are problematic. You always have water where it shouldn't be and if not dried out throughly, will cause problems.

I'd be very interested in what you believe the problems are with a wet bath. A wet bath is really no different than a wet shower. We have a TC with a wet bath and so far we have not experienced any down side .....In fact I have probably have a much cleaner bathroom than I would have had had I not been rinsing it down every day or two. What you will learn very quickly, is water management!!!!!

2000 Ford F350
2004 Adventurer