cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Handy Hints, Gadgets, Products & Gizmos

GizmosMom
Explorer
Explorer
Another member suggested a new forum section with new products but it doesn't look like it will be feasible. So I thought I would post this here under General RVing Issues. If enough people post (even if you have mentioned it before in another post) we can keep it near the top?

Do you have a handy hint, a new product or an old product that makes your RVing or Camping much better?

(Sorry, no commercial advertising allowed)

I'll start:

Someone in the Camping Van posted a reference to using a Super-Chamois to wipe down their shower. I have been using an icky old thick sponge and I like the chamois idea so much more.

Now I want to hear what works for you
Marilyn w/ Joe, 2016 Class C Sunseeker 2430 SF, often pulling a Ranger bass boat. Traveling with Trigger
Smudge & Gizmo are waiting at the Rainbow Bridge
3,560 REPLIES 3,560

pasusan
Explorer
Explorer
ridesabout wrote:
I had one of the plastic filler hoses and threw it away after the plastic hose came off the valve. I was afraid it would fall in the tank the next time. I purchased a short valve in the garden department--available in brass or plastic--at Home Depot. It hase hose threads on both ends. Fastened it to my fresh water hose and a short piece of an old fresh water hose to the other end. Serves the same purpose but will not fall apart.

Well, gee whiz. Now I'm scared about this thing falling apart!

Thanks for the warning...

Susan & Ben [2004 Roadtrek 170]
href="https://sites.google.com/view/pasusan-trips/home" target="_blank">Trip Pics

ridesabout
Explorer
Explorer
I had one of the plastic filler hoses and threw it away after the plastic hose came off the valve. I was afraid it would fall in the tank the next time. I purchased a short valve in the garden department--available in brass or plastic--at Home Depot. It hase hose threads on both ends. Fastened it to my fresh water hose and a short piece of an old fresh water hose to the other end. Serves the same purpose but will not fall apart.

StanleyandIris
Explorer
Explorer
Love the steps.

Iris

Pangaea_Ron
Explorer
Explorer
pasusan wrote:
One of my favorite gizmos is this:
Water Tank Filler with Shutoff

No more standing at the side of the trailer holding the hose. It is so simple and has a shutoff so you don't have to pull a running hose out of the fresh water fill and get all wet.

I also use that, but the clear vinyl hose slips off the plastic fitting. So I attach a hose clamp, but now it doesn't fit into the water fill opening. I removed the hose clamp, and now use a plastic wire tie that seems to be working. A 90 degree fitting also helps to keep the filler in the opening.

There are so many IQ tests out there.
2008 Itasca SunCruiser 35L
2014 Honda AWD CR-V EX-L

LoudRam
Explorer
Explorer
pasusan wrote:

No more standing at the side of the trailer holding the hose. It is so simple and has a shutoff so you don't have to pull a running hose out of the fresh water fill and get all wet.

Yep, simple and cheap. That's what I use but I attach an 90 degree elbow fitting to it. It works very well.
Todd
Desert Storm Vet (US Navy)
2019 Ram 1500 Classic Quad Cab Express 4X4 5.7 Hemi 3.92
2021 Coachmen Spirit Ultra Lite 2557RB

If you can read this thank a teacher
If you can read this in english thank a vet

pasusan
Explorer
Explorer

Susan & Ben [2004 Roadtrek 170]
href="https://sites.google.com/view/pasusan-trips/home" target="_blank">Trip Pics

Tvov
Explorer
Explorer
Bucky Badger wrote:
Dog hates the steel steps....Flipped the axles so the old one arn't tall enough any ways

Great! Just Great! Another project for me to work on!!

They DO look great, actually!

Wiscampsin
Explorer
Explorer
Bucky, I think your steps are a great idea.

TreeSeeker
Explorer
Explorer
Bucky Badger,

I love the steps.

Two suggestions. I would add some non-slip strips to the tops and I would apply some Teak oil once the wood has dried out some. And don't forget to Teak oil the bottom edge where it will tend to soak up water. Actually, putting some on the inside will help prevent warping due to water absorption on one side.

Teak oil works great on steps and doorsills--I use it on my stick house. It can be reapplied as needed. It is simple to put on, just wipe on with a rag or use a brush. It is used on boats so it is very water resistant. And it penetrates into the wood so it is not just a surface finish. Letting the wood dry out first will allow the oil to penetrate better.

paulb4333
Explorer
Explorer
How about splitting the sides vertically, putting a hinge on them? Should be able to nest them that way.When clamped back together, will be nearly as strong.
Probably lots of ways to do this... engineers?
2006 Fleetwood Excursion
39L
350 HP CAT
Spartan Chassis
FJ Cruiser for a Toad

Bucky_Badger
Explorer
Explorer
Pangaea Ron wrote:
I wonder if there is a way to have the steps nest within each other to save space. Widest step at the bottom, etc?

awww. Interesting idea!!!! How would we lock them into place?
2010 F150 5.4, 3.55, 4x4, Equli-z-er Hitch
2007 Forest River Salem 27RB LE
and
2009 Nomad 3980

Pangaea_Ron
Explorer
Explorer
I wonder if there is a way to have the steps nest within each other to save space. Widest step at the bottom, etc?
2008 Itasca SunCruiser 35L
2014 Honda AWD CR-V EX-L

tvman44
Explorer
Explorer
Bucky Badger,
I love your steps sounds like a good project for me. Good job

tvman44
Papa Bob
1* 2008 Brookside by Sunnybrook 32'
1* 2002 F250 Super Duty 7.3L PSD
Husky 16K hitch, Tekonsha P3,
Firestone Ride Rite Air Springs, Trailair Equa-Flex, Champion C46540
"A bad day camping is better than a good day at work!"

ol_Bombero-JC
Explorer
Explorer
mike9955 wrote:
3 days and ALL read..:R.
Thanks for the 'help'..some I did not know I needed, but now I see the light!:B

To add to the file:

Three aerosol sprays that RVโ€™ers should not be without โ€“
WD-40, White Lithium Grease, and Silicone Spray Lubricant.

The WD-40 is handy for keeping locks, latches and hinges lubricated, preventing corrosion of metal parts, and treating wet electrical connections.

Have F U N!!!!:C

I use all three (and more) - including the WD-40.

However - WD-40 is actually a solvent.

There are better lubricants for locks, entry locks, etc. (and other stuff too).
In doubt of this info?

Next time you are at a locksmith's - ask his opinion of WD-40,
and/or better choices.

~

JC

Bucky_Badger
Explorer
Explorer
Dog hates the steel steps....Flipped the axles so the old one arn't tall enough any ways

2010 F150 5.4, 3.55, 4x4, Equli-z-er Hitch
2007 Forest River Salem 27RB LE
and
2009 Nomad 3980