cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Handy Hints, Gadgets, Products & Gizmos

GizmosMom
Explorer
Explorer
Another member suggested a new forum section with new products but it doesn't look like it will be feasible. So I thought I would post this here under General RVing Issues. If enough people post (even if you have mentioned it before in another post) we can keep it near the top?

Do you have a handy hint, a new product or an old product that makes your RVing or Camping much better?

(Sorry, no commercial advertising allowed)

I'll start:

Someone in the Camping Van posted a reference to using a Super-Chamois to wipe down their shower. I have been using an icky old thick sponge and I like the chamois idea so much more.

Now I want to hear what works for you
Marilyn w/ Joe, 2016 Class C Sunseeker 2430 SF, often pulling a Ranger bass boat. Traveling with Trigger
Smudge & Gizmo are waiting at the Rainbow Bridge
3,560 REPLIES 3,560

JimBollman
Explorer
Explorer
Jeanne M wrote:
JimBollman wrote:
The previous owner of my camper built a pocket on the inside wall of the closet with three 1" X 1/2" strips (2 sides and a bottom) and a piece of mahogany board. Completely out of the way and it hold all the important manuals and charts I need to reference.

Jim...

Would it be possible for you to post of photo of this..?

Thanks.

Already in Winter storage and not accessible. Sorry if my description didn't make it clear. Think of a wooden box a little shorter than the hight of the papers/binder you want to store and a bit deeper than the thickness. Now replace one of the large flat sides with the inside wall of your closet and leave the top open to drop in the papers. When you need the papers, open the closet and reach to the side of the closet and there they are.

Wish I could draw.

Jim...

WildPlumYonder
Explorer
Explorer
John&Betty wrote:
Cruzette wrote:
Instead of a 3-ring binder, I bought an accordian style file folder and sorted brochures and product information alphabetically. It stays in the RV at all times.

We do this as well.

Yep, along with copies of the dogs' medical and vaccination records and Canine Good Citizen awards (one of the dogs - both rescues - is probably part pit bull of some sort). We also travel with a one-sheet-per-person medical statement with a medical summary and contact persons list. All in an accordian folder.
TT: 2017 Keystone Hideout 21FQWB (prior 2011 FR Wolf Pup, 1990 Starcraft tent trailer, tent camping)
TV: 2013 Ford F150 5.0 V8, 373
(map is where I've camped, not where I've lived or visited)

John_Betty
Explorer
Explorer
Cruzette wrote:
Instead of a 3-ring binder, I bought an accordian style file folder and sorted brochures and product information alphabetically. It stays in the RV at all times.

We do this as well.
John & Betty
2007 Dodge Ram 1500
2010 Keystone Bullet 246RBS

Jeanne_M
Explorer
Explorer
JimBollman wrote:
The previous owner of my camper built a pocket on the inside wall of the closet with three 1" X 1/2" strips (2 sides and a bottom) and a piece of mahogany board. Completely out of the way and it hold all the important manuals and charts I need to reference.

Jim...

Would it be possible for you to post of photo of this..?

Thanks.
Jeanne & Kenny
2005 Itasca Horizon 36GD, Freightliner Evolution Chassis, Cat 350
1992 Honda Accord
And Bailey, our furry traveling companion
Good Sam, TT/Naco,PA,RPI,AOR,C2C,FMCA #F151328
Our Pictures

JimBollman
Explorer
Explorer

Jim...

horseylady
Explorer
Explorer
I am scanning almost all of my paperwork, contracts, insurance policy declarations, user guides, etc. into my laptop which goes on all trips with me. I also carry a very small scanner and a small printer. I would much rather do away with the paper and just print what I need. It takes quite a bit of time to do all the scanning but no more than filing things properly, and it makes it SO easy to find things in a hurry. I still do have the binder with all the motor home booklets in it as they would be too labor intensive to scan. Everything is backed up twice and regularly. Sure makes tax time easy, too.
Pam and Bob
Boon (Jack Russell), Jezzie (Australian Shepherd)
2017 Winnebago View 24V
RVing since 1973 but always learning

Tvov
Explorer II
Explorer II
I just don't trust computers, and "digital storage". One power surge and it could be all gone. We keep owners manuals related to the TT in the bottom of one of the closets in the camper.

Cruzette
Explorer
Explorer
I agree with MrWizard, I'd rather have a hard copy. I have soooooooo many files saved and I have 3 computers and I some times forget where and what computer I saved a file.

It doesn't matter where you go in life.........it's who you have beside you :B

Judy and DH Ray
Boomer & Petie Pie
2004 Country Coach 40' Inspire "Da Vinci"

MrWizard
I like computer and its.great for downloading, but nothing beats a piece of paper when your working on something, and need it on location under the hood or on the work bench, I will print out a page I can make notes or pencil in changes, pt# etc
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

waddison
Explorer
Explorer
I am in the middle of reading all these post. Great stuff. I noticed several post about a 3 ring binder to store manuals, registrations etc. I either download PDF versions of manuals or I scan and save as PDF files all information for my 5th wheel. I cn store them on the laptop and a thumb drive so I can always access them if I need to. My smartphone with a memory card also stores and displays PDF files.
Tommi and Ad
2002 Ford F250 TD 4X4
1997 Newmar American Star XL 30RKCL
Other RV: 1963 Cascade 29 Sloop

SageCrispin
Explorer
Explorer
Units that put the whole RV on a UPS (such as HERE) are readily available, like the Prosine 2.0 While there seem to be plenty of these around, this particular unit is no longer manufactured, but there are plenty of others from this manufacturer and others. These units effectively put all the outlets (or whatever you have wired to it) on a "whole house" UPS. You do not put the big users, like the AC on it. Do a search here for the Prosine and you will find plenty of discussion including wiring how-to's.

Sage
We've run out in the house, but the RV has two.

Damon Challenger.
Jeep Unlimited toad

popeye59
Explorer
Explorer
And solar panels, don't forget solar power
Frank and Jean
EM1 USN ret
DAV Life Member

'09 Rockwood Roo 233S
'03 1500 Silverado LS

The things that come to those that wait will be the junky stuff left by those that got there 1st.

Remember; never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

MrWizard
You can.get that functionally, but you do so by purchasing an "all electric" RV, that has lots of batteries and a pair of victron inverter units, that supply the house power from the BATTERY bank automatically encase of shore power failure

aboeck3 wrote:
Great idea about the UPS, is there a way to protect the whole system on one UPS unit? If so, where would it be placed.

I love this particualr thread, I have read all 194 pages and check every morning for additional comments - and I don't even have a MH yet!!!
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

StarkNaked
Explorer II
Explorer II
popeye59 wrote:
aboeck3 wrote:
Great idea about the UPS, is there a way to protect the whole system on one UPS unit? If so, where would it be placed.

I love this particualr thread, I have read all 194 pages and check every morning for additional comments - and I don't even have a MH yet!!!

You're obsessed :B

Aren't all Rv owners (and wanna be owners)!?!?!?!?!?

portscanner
Explorer
Explorer
aboeck3 wrote:

Depends on what you mean by "the whole system" If you mean your computer system - just get a ups from Office Depot and be done with it. If you are talking about the entire trailer (A/C, microwave, tv, computers, playstation, etc etc etc) well, um, that particular UPS would be more weight than you want to carry around. In fact about the only thing that can do that is called a generator.
One beautiful wife -Trooper and Doc the furcampers
2019 Dodge 4500 Flatbed with 2013 Chalet TS116 http://www.brittanynews.us