cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Handy Hints, Gadgets, Products & Gizmos

GizmosMom
Explorer
Explorer
Another member suggested a new forum section with new products but it doesn't look like it will be feasible. So I thought I would post this here under General RVing Issues. If enough people post (even if you have mentioned it before in another post) we can keep it near the top?

Do you have a handy hint, a new product or an old product that makes your RVing or Camping much better?

(Sorry, no commercial advertising allowed)

I'll start:

Someone in the Camping Van posted a reference to using a Super-Chamois to wipe down their shower. I have been using an icky old thick sponge and I like the chamois idea so much more.

Now I want to hear what works for you
Marilyn w/ Joe, 2016 Class C Sunseeker 2430 SF, often pulling a Ranger bass boat. Traveling with Trigger
Smudge & Gizmo are waiting at the Rainbow Bridge
3,560 REPLIES 3,560

bakerkids
Explorer
Explorer
I think the Thermacell fan gets much better reviews that the Off brand, but I haven't tried either.
http://www.mosquitorepellent.com/
Me '62, DH '59, DS '89, DD '90, DD '92
1 shih tzu
Our photos

WildPlumYonder
Explorer
Explorer
ESquared wrote:
Bounce sheets are great for repelling mosquitos.

This does not work for me - my neighbor swears by it, so I tried it, and it had no effect. Both new and "used" sheets.

I can't remember the brand, but there is a small clip-on plastic fan that sprays out a fine DEET-containing mist. Works best sitting out on the patio and not hiking.

Just searched on it: it's made by OFF, here are the e-pinions comments:
http://www.epinions.com/reviews/OFF_Clip_On_Insect_Repeller
TT: 2017 Keystone Hideout 21FQWB (prior 2011 FR Wolf Pup, 1990 Starcraft tent trailer, tent camping)
TV: 2013 Ford F150 5.0 V8, 373
(map is where I've camped, not where I've lived or visited)

Handbasket
Explorer
Explorer
jrfamily wrote:
We all know that dryer sheets work great for cleaning bugs off of trailers and the soap ring in your bath tub, but why do they work so well? What toxic chemicals are really in them? I have to admit I use them for cleaning, but I also wonder how healthy it is to use.
Jrfamily

I've always used the dryer sheets for cleaning _after_ they've been used for their intended use. IMO, it's the rough texture of the sheets, rather than any chemistry, that makes them so effective for removing bug guts and such. And that texture seems to be more present in the used sheets than the new ones. I also usually try to re-wax the area afterward, on the theory that a) they may remove the wax there, and b) that the area will be easier to clean next time that way.

Jim, "Mo' coffee!"
'06 Tiger CX 'C Minus' on a Silverado 2500HD 4x4, 8.1 & Allison (aka 'Loafer's Glory')

profdant139
Explorer II
Explorer II
In order to provide a little bit better insulation under our bed (which is also our dinette seat!), we have put three of those interlocking foam tiles under each cushion. The tiles are each two feet by two feet, so three together makes six feet. (Which proves I can do simple math.) The foam tiles also make the bench seats a little more comfortable. I have duct-taped the tiles together, so that they stay together.

If you are interested in other low-cost and simple camping tricks, feel free to visit our "about our trailer" blog -- the link is in our signature. (And if you want to see a lot of pictures of waterfalls, mountains, and trees, accompanied by some really dull descriptions of our trips, click on the other link.)
2012 Fun Finder X-139 "Boondock Style" (axle-flipped and extra insulation)
2013 Toyota Tacoma Off-Road (semi-beefy tires and components)
Our trips -- pix and text
About our trailer
"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single list."

pjeffreysr1
Explorer
Explorer
Man do I ever love this thread. Keep up the good info. DW is a brittle diabetic, w 2 (yes TWO) heart stents. When we take to the road, we keep her insulin and needles, in LARGE (2.5" x 6") brown prescription viles. They keep thigs together. Also keep a copy of her meds list, Dr names & tns, etc, in one. Got them by just asking the pharmacy at our local RiteAide drug store. They are obvious to all in the medical community, and thus attract their attenton.

nadkaw1957
Explorer
Explorer
jrfamily wrote:
We all know that dryer sheets work great for cleaning bugs off of trailers and the soap ring in your bath tub, but why do they work so well? What toxic chemicals are really in them? I have to admit I use them for cleaning, but I also wonder how healthy it is to use.
Jrfamily

Benzyl Acetate, Benzyl Alcohol, Ethanol, A-Terpineol, Ethyl Acetate, Camphor, Chloroform, Linalool, Pentane. I don't think every dryer sheet contains all these - this came from a pretty propagandized web page advertising a "chemical free static eliminator." But it gives you an idea of what may be in them and you can decide for yourself. if you want to see the page, you can look here.
2018 Grand Design Imagine 2250RK
2018 Toyota Tundra 5.7L

jrfamily
Explorer
Explorer
Jrfamily

Davehrn
Explorer
Explorer
DW is using dryer sheets to clean the shower and says they work great!
~dave
2010 Coachmen Mirada 32ds
DW: Nora
DD: Silas White German Shepherd / Husky Mix

mizdiny
Explorer
Explorer
I went to the dollar store and bought a small rectangle baking pan that would accept magnets. I screwed it with one short screw to the wall between our microwave and the fridge in our small TT. It's just the right size to hold a few magnetic spice cans (for rubberbands, twist ties etc.)a magnetic note pad and clips. Things that are always getting lost in a drawer. I love this forum! I check it almost daily. Thanks everyone.

suerover
Explorer
Explorer
Dryer sheets are great for wiping dead bugs off the front of the vehicle. We also leave them in every cupboard and cabinet when Rover goes into storage.
www.ourtravelswithrover.com
2002 24 RB Born Free/1999 23 RK Born Free

ESquared
Explorer
Explorer
Bounce sheets are great for repelling mosquitos.

tvman44
Explorer
Explorer
We have bought micro cloths from the dollar stores, usually 5 or 6 in a pack for $3 or $4. I have never seen anything better for cleaning my glasses or DVDs and CDs.
Papa Bob
1* 2008 Brookside by Sunnybrook 32'
1* 2002 F250 Super Duty 7.3L PSD
Husky 16K hitch, Tekonsha P3,
Firestone Ride Rite Air Springs, Trailair Equa-Flex, Champion C46540
"A bad day camping is better than a good day at work!"

horseylady
Explorer
Explorer
Lots of good ideas but I much prefer a washcloth-size microfiber for the shower so I can wipe the fixtures and the corners. It holds a lot of water, squeezes out almost dry, and dries in just a few hours. I'm looking forward to going to a Costco to get a big pile for RV and home use! I have used a squeegee on several of our large RV showers, with lots of glass, but our current RV shower is small and lots of curves and microfiber works best for me.
Pam and Bob
Boon (Jack Russell), Jezzie (Australian Shepherd)
2017 Winnebago View 24V
RVing since 1973 but always learning

alliemac9
Explorer
Explorer
tomman58 wrote:
alliemac9 wrote:
We use squeegees, at home and on the road.

Try that squeegee on the inside of your motor home windshield, LOL

Go to Costco and buy a stack of those micro cloths (they sell a big pile for a few bucks) and you will toss the squeegee!

These things are fantastic for any window or glass surface ie: computer screens on that monitor, eye glasses, to detail the truck and on and on.

Hmmmm....I was responding relative to the shower cleaning tips. We only use it on the shower surfaces, both on the road and at home. I'd rather not add to my existing laundry duties with additional cloth material, and squeegeeing the glass/tile/plastic surfaces after the last person showers reduces the scrubbing that my DH has to do to keep the shower clean to essentially nil.
2007 Coachmen Freelander 2430DB + 2 dogs

alliemac9
Explorer
Explorer
tomman58 wrote:
alliemac9 wrote:
We use squeegees, at home and on the road.

Try that squeegee on the inside of your motor home windshield, LOL

Go to Costco and buy a stack of those micro cloths (they sell a big pile for a few bucks) and you will toss the squeegee!

These things are fantastic for any window or glass surface ie: computer screens on that monitor, eye glasses, to detail the truck and on and on.

Hmmmm....I was responding relative to the shower cleaning tips. We only use it on the shower surfaces, both on the road and at home.
2007 Coachmen Freelander 2430DB + 2 dogs