cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Handy Hints, Gadgets, Products & Gizmos

GizmosMom
Explorer
Explorer
Another member suggested a new forum section with new products but it doesn't look like it will be feasible. So I thought I would post this here under General RVing Issues. If enough people post (even if you have mentioned it before in another post) we can keep it near the top?

Do you have a handy hint, a new product or an old product that makes your RVing or Camping much better?

(Sorry, no commercial advertising allowed)

I'll start:

Someone in the Camping Van posted a reference to using a Super-Chamois to wipe down their shower. I have been using an icky old thick sponge and I like the chamois idea so much more.

Now I want to hear what works for you
Marilyn w/ Joe, 2016 Class C Sunseeker 2430 SF, often pulling a Ranger bass boat. Traveling with Trigger
Smudge & Gizmo are waiting at the Rainbow Bridge
3,560 REPLIES 3,560

ladymc53
Explorer
Explorer
Don't know if this is the place for it, but the new iphone! There is an application (app) for it called facetime that you can see who you're talking to and vice versa if they have a 4G iphone with the same app! This will be great for RV'er's on the road who don't get to see their family for long stretches of time. You can see the grandkids grow and they can see who you are and hopefully not forget you! I currently have the 3 G and will upgrade to the 4 G soon and I can't wait!
LadyMc
Sitting Stationary in a 33 ft. Newmar 5th wheel

Chrysler Town & Country Mini-van with Stow & Go Seats pulling a
CAMP INN 560 ULTRA RAINDROP -called a Raindrop, not a Teardrop cause it has a couch that makes into bunks - the Rolls-Royce of Tears!

jagco
Explorer
Explorer
paulb4333, could you post a link to what kind of fan you are talking about? I went to Lowes web site, and squirrel fan got no results. Floor fan brought up 77 results. One was a fan that I really don't think is what you are talking about. The other results were, oddly enough, floor lamps.
1977 Diamond Class C
(Ford E350, 460)

paulb4333
Explorer
Explorer
In our stick and brick home we love sitting outside even in HOT southern weather since our ceiling fans help us keep cool.
On the road sometimes it gets too hot outside...but no ceiling fan of course. We've tried portable fans but they are either too loud or don't have enough volume.

We finally found the perfect answer in a "floor fan" or squirrel fan from Lowes. It is the kind used to dry rugs or floors, is compact, inexpensive and produces a huge volume of air ( we seldom turn it past 1 of 3 speeds.

Has really added to our outdoor time.
2006 Fleetwood Excursion
39L
350 HP CAT
Spartan Chassis
FJ Cruiser for a Toad

jagco
Explorer
Explorer
Denise, you're going to have to get your hubby on the ball and get those pics off that samsung! Afterall, it's his work that you want to share with us. Tell him you've been bragging about him and we want to see the fine work he's done ๐Ÿ™‚
1977 Diamond Class C
(Ford E350, 460)

Denise_in_Ark
Explorer
Explorer
shadows4 wrote:

Sounds cool, BUT if your going to brag like that lets see PICS!!!! Surely you don't expect us to take your word for it do you?:W

Happy Camping, John

...yyyyeahhh...that would mean I'd have to get the pics off of my samsung Jack. Last time I tried that, I lost every pic on my phone! But if DH will help me figure out how to make it happen, I'll be happy to share. I knew nobody would believe it, so I took pics at every stage.

shadows4
Explorer III
Explorer III
Denise in Ark wrote:
We are redecorating our new-to-us 5th wheel and I couldn't find any light fixtures that are what I really wanted. Besides, they were all pretty expensive but looked kinda cheap. DH cannibalized the existing 12v light guts and rewired some 110 fixtures that I liked and got for a reasonable price. It took about a half hour per each. Anyone that knows how to install a ceiling fan can probably figure out how to do it. The shiny brass-and-plastic satellites are now gone and the new tuscan fixtures look fabulous.

Sounds cool, BUT if your going to brag like that lets see PICS!!!! Surely you don't expect us to take your word for it do you?:W

Happy Camping, John
2016 4X4 F350,CC,SB,Lariat,6.7L diesel,
2015 Coachmen Chapparal 324 TSRK
B&W Patriot 16K hitch.

Denise_in_Ark
Explorer
Explorer
We are redecorating our new-to-us 5th wheel and I couldn't find any light fixtures that are what I really wanted. Besides, they were all pretty expensive but looked kinda cheap. DH cannibalized the existing 12v light guts and rewired some 110 fixtures that I liked and got for a reasonable price. It took about a half hour per each. Anyone that knows how to install a ceiling fan can probably figure out how to do it. The shiny brass-and-plastic satellites are now gone and the new tuscan fixtures look fabulous.

Roadtech
Explorer
Explorer
I love using Weber Firestarters and lump charcoal in my little camp grill. The Firestarters are small white cubes that really get the coals going without any of the taste of lighter fluid or messing with charcoal chimneys. I stack up the lump charcoal in a pyramid in the grill and place 2 or 3 firestarters under the pile with one edge showing for lighting. It is simple, compact, and helps to make the food taste great.

scootsk
Explorer III
Explorer III
Wow, 4 days I will never get back. Well worth it though.

Thanks to all. Will post some of mine when I return from my trip this weekend. I have forgotten the thing I have done. The trip will remind me.

Oh yeah, I built a dimmer switch with an extension cord so that my awning lights could be dimmed. Probably the best mod I've done.

Also, a two gang box with four outlets with a plug on the end, from my PUP dsys, still use it many years later.
Don, Kathleen
2014 Ram 3500 Crew Cab 4x4 Dually 6.7 CTD/AISIN
2019 Montana 3791 Fifth Wheel

M00d
Explorer
Explorer
I couln't get my fellow to make one so I bought one from Camping Bucket Light. I'm very happy with it.

LarryJM
Explorer II
Explorer II
purdum wrote:
How is the power switched on to the fan. Is it a switch you have remember to turn off.

I took one of the small brushless 12 computer cooling fans mounted two strips of al. and covered it with some screening and attached a micro switch to it and put the power on a small stereo plug. That way I can turn it on when needed and remove it when not neeeded. This also allows the air to flow directly over almost all the cooling fins.

I also have one of the battery frigmate fans that I put on the middle shelf in front that is usually all I need. With the frigmate fan near the door there is more air around the door to circulate and it helps. Below are a couple of pics of the powered fan I installed.

Larry
2001 standard box 7.3L E-350 PSD Van with 4.10 rear and 2007 Holiday Rambler Aluma-Lite 8306S Been RV'ing since 1974.
RAINKAP INSTALL////ETERNABOND INSTALL

revrnd
Explorer
Explorer
If you're in Canada looking to replace your WaterPur filters found in Forest River units, Lowe's & Canadian Tire sell active charcoal Rainfresh brand filters that are direct replacements.
1986 Monte Carlo SS
2011 Chevrolet K2500HD (P3 controller, Husky WD hitch)
2009 Rockwood 2106 Mini Lite

Retired GM of Canada Oshawa Truck Assembly Plant
Opened 1965 Closed 2009

Jeanne_M
Explorer
Explorer
Cyndi H wrote:
I took a 3-tiered wire basket - the kind for hanging with fruits and vegetables - and separated it into 3 separate hanging baskets. They now hang from my kitchen cabinets in the sink area - freed up a lot of counter space where I used to have bowls of onions, potatoes, and fruit.

Good idea! But what do you do with the baskets when you're on the move? I don't really have the space for baskets over my sink area, but this would be great for tossing in leashes, keys, flashlights, gloves, hats...etc., in another area. Like over the driver's seat when not in use!

Thanks for another great idea!!
Jeanne & Kenny
2005 Itasca Horizon 36GD, Freightliner Evolution Chassis, Cat 350
1992 Honda Accord
And Bailey, our furry traveling companion
Good Sam, TT/Naco,PA,RPI,AOR,C2C,FMCA #F151328
Our Pictures

Cyndi_H
Explorer
Explorer
I took a 3-tiered wire basket - the kind for hanging with fruits and vegetables - and separated it into 3 separate hanging baskets. They now hang from my kitchen cabinets in the sink area - freed up a lot of counter space where I used to have bowls of onions, potatoes, and fruit.
My blog: Wanderlust

'08 Keystone Sprinter 250RBS travel trailer
'10 Nissan Titan

Dutch_12078
Explorer
Explorer
JimBollman wrote:
Dutch_12078 wrote:
JimBollman wrote:
I have used one that ones run off 2 D cells for several years now. I find that if you slide a thin piece of plastic into the battery contacts to turn it off when you turn the frig off the batteries are good for a whole season, got two years out of the last set. Not worth all the hassle wiring in a fan for the cost of 2 D cells every year or so.

It does help.

All what hassle? It took less than 10 minutes to hook up my wired double fan to the light power source in my Norcold. No hassles with remembering to slip little plastic things into the battery contacts either. :B

Dutch

Sorry, I should have mentioned My frig does not have a light so I would have to feed power in from somewhere outside.

I did mount 3 fans on the coils outside the frig to help in the cooling. They are connected to a temperature switch so the fans are disabled when the coils are cool (frig off). I added a switch in series so I can turn them off when I really don't need them (cool days/evening). I have it setup so I can run on one or all 3, depending on need and how much I'm trying to conserve battery.

Jim...

Ok, yep, that does add to the wiring complexity a bit. ๐Ÿ™‚
Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate