cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Handy Hints, Gadgets, Products & Gizmos

GizmosMom
Explorer
Explorer
Another member suggested a new forum section with new products but it doesn't look like it will be feasible. So I thought I would post this here under General RVing Issues. If enough people post (even if you have mentioned it before in another post) we can keep it near the top?

Do you have a handy hint, a new product or an old product that makes your RVing or Camping much better?

(Sorry, no commercial advertising allowed)

I'll start:

Someone in the Camping Van posted a reference to using a Super-Chamois to wipe down their shower. I have been using an icky old thick sponge and I like the chamois idea so much more.

Now I want to hear what works for you
Marilyn w/ Joe, 2016 Class C Sunseeker 2430 SF, often pulling a Ranger bass boat. Traveling with Trigger
Smudge & Gizmo are waiting at the Rainbow Bridge
3,560 REPLIES 3,560

jagco
Explorer
Explorer
I can't imagine having an ongoing compost "pile" in or near an RV. Have one here at S&B home, but it's a good 30 feet from the house. I have even seen them catch on fire from the heat being produced inside.
1977 Diamond Class C
(Ford E350, 460)

Denise_in_Ark
Explorer
Explorer
OK here's an oddball that may or may not have an answer: We are full timers who eat a lot of fresh fruit and veggies and I'd kind of like to compost. Has anyone seen a compost bin that would be great for RV's? The idea of a countertop trash container is great. At one park where we lived, I took my scraps up to the manager's shed where there was an ongoing compost pile. However, I do carry some pots of plants around so I wouldn't mind making and using my own compost, either.

LarryJM
Explorer II
Explorer II
jagco wrote:
svkarenm, I use those very ice cream containers you mentioned as storage bins in my RV cabinets. They also make great containers for cereal, chips, cookies, etc., but I never once thought to use them as a countertop trash container. Thanks for the great idea!

What we really like is the new Heinz plastic containers that replaced the #10 cans that you get in bulk warehouses like COSTCO, etc. They are sort of square and have the indents to pick them up like you see on the coffee containers now, but have a screw on lid so unlike the coffee cans, if dropped the lid won't pop off.

Larry
2001 standard box 7.3L E-350 PSD Van with 4.10 rear and 2007 Holiday Rambler Aluma-Lite 8306S Been RV'ing since 1974.
RAINKAP INSTALL////ETERNABOND INSTALL

jagco
Explorer
Explorer
svkarenm, I use those very ice cream containers you mentioned as storage bins in my RV cabinets. They also make great containers for cereal, chips, cookies, etc., but I never once thought to use them as a countertop trash container. Thanks for the great idea!
1977 Diamond Class C
(Ford E350, 460)

LoudRam
Explorer
Explorer
svkarenm wrote:

Maybe none of these are earth-shattering but wanted to do my bit for the Bumping Effort.

Every new idea is welcome. Someone somewhere will have the same issue as the one you had. I've learned a lot from this thread myself.
Todd
Desert Storm Vet (US Navy)
2019 Ram 1500 Classic Quad Cab Express 4X4 5.7 Hemi 3.92
2021 Coachmen Spirit Ultra Lite 2557RB

If you can read this thank a teacher
If you can read this in english thank a vet

svkarenm
Explorer
Explorer
I'm new member, so I haven't yet learned to navigate the threads. I posted the following, I thought, to this Gizmos thread, but it ended up as a new thread under General RV. So I'm trying it again as a Quick Reply to this thread. Hopefully, it'll work:

DH and I just became half-time RVers, having lived 4 years fulltime on a 42 ft. sailboat. I just finished reading the 151-page collection, having stumbled across this wonderful topic. I've learned many new things including the fact that landcruisers, like sailors, are bothered by problems that need fixes that they don't have the power to fix on their own -- 1.e. after 3+ years we can't make this topic into a Sticky. But, oh well, we can innovate and adapt with a temporary fix (Bumps) until the PowersThatBe relent. Also, I've been reminded of some old tricks we used on the boat that could apply for RVs. Here are a couple that come immediately to mind (probably more to follow):
1. When we bought the RV I immediately repeated what I did when be bought our boat. I measured every possible cabinet, surface, overhead area, nook, cranny, and empty space and recorded them, with diagrams, in a tiny spiral notebook that I always carry in my purse, along with a tiny tape measure. Whenever I spot something in a store that might make a useful container or modification, I check its measurements with my recorded notes to see if it's worth buying. On the boat I really wanted a specific-sized square plastic tub with a snap-on lid and a handle. Imagine our delight when the ideal tub appeared in the grocery store freezer section containg fudge ripple ice cream. I didn't have room in the boat freezer for all that ice cream, but we made a lot of friends back at the marina for an impropmtu ice cream social, after which the plastic tub was immediately usable as a counterop garbage pail.
2. Sailors love nonskid material as much as RVers, but sometimes (especially when your boat/RV is pitching and rolling along) something you forgot to secure (most often a plate or bowl) starts sliding and there's no nonskid easily in reach. The old sailor trick is to wet a square of paper towel, wring it out, and spread it out under the sliding item. Surprising how well that works for many (but not all) situations.
3. For overnight offshore passages on the boat, I'd make an extra pot of coffee after dinner and pour it into a stainless steel pump-type thermos that I'd bungy into a corner on the galley countertop for quick pick-me-ups on the night watch. A small plastic bin with the travel mugs, sugar, UHT creamers, stirring spoon, was bungied nearby so you wouldn't have to rummage through the fridge and cabinets. Maybe most RVers don't drive 24/7, but the same could work for a quickie anytime of day.
4. The clear acrylic drinking glasses I bought at Wally World are great except when I stacked them in the cupboard (only way they would fit) they became stubbornly fused together. Problem solved by making mini-cozies out of the ankle part of men's thin tube socks.

Maybe none of these are earth-shattering but wanted to do my bit for the Bumping Effort.
Harvey the RV (aka The White Elephant):
2010 Coachmen Freelander 2100 CB Sprinter Diesel

Working our way through the 4 Stages of Life: Sailboat, Motorboat, Motorhome, Rest Home

JimBollman
Explorer
Explorer
I use ball bungees for those kind of jobs, I always keep a few extras in the drawer.

Jim...

DB_Engineer
Explorer
Explorer
We use the small bungee cords - small jar of 20 or so for a few $s at WW.
Jan (me) :C
Polly (DW) ๐Ÿ˜„
FW: 2009 Montana 3465SA 10th Anniversary Edition
TV: 2005 GMC Sierra 3500HD DRW, 6.6L Duramax/Allison

Pangaea_Ron
Explorer
Explorer
I use these for everything... they should also work great for cabinet doors.

Velcro ties
2008 Itasca SunCruiser 35L
2014 Honda AWD CR-V EX-L

jellenn
Explorer
Explorer
I use shoelaces too, lol. two of them on each door. I am a bit,..... over cautious. lol. But, Im so afraid of opening the camper and finding my coffee pot in millions of pieces. Cause you KNOW the twinkies will fall on top of it,.. instead of under it to cusion its fall. ๐Ÿ˜ƒ
Queen Bee and the Hornets Nest

Jill, Jason, the Boy, 3 Girls and our Poodle Mix, Rascal.
2005 Keystone Hornet 24 RSL
2007 2500 HD CHevy with a duramax.

wildmanbaker
Explorer
Explorer
ArmyFSCRet,
l.o.l. I think they call that the Cummins 300. Some may have missed that.
Wildmanbaker

Okie_in_Wyoming
Explorer
Explorer
LoudRam wrote:
It was suggested that I post this simple and cheap preventative step in saving your cabinet doors. We learned it the hard way.

When traveling something shifted in our kitchen cabinet knocking the door open. It was behind my slide so I didn't see it. I actually heard it go crunch when I opened the slide. The slide took the door off. Now we use child safety locks to keep the doors closed.

That is fancier (and prettier) than ours, I just tie them closed with shoelaces.
We too almost lost a cabinet door - I forgot to close it down and DH forgot to look around before pulling in the slide...oops
Smiles across the Miles
Darling Husband
2 Wonderful Dogs
And Me
2007 Dodge 2500 Quad Cab(Diesel)
2010 Cougar 276RLS

LoudRam
Explorer
Explorer
It was suggested that I post this simple and cheap preventative step in saving your cabinet doors. We learned it the hard way.

When traveling something shifted in our kitchen cabinet knocking the door open. It was behind my slide so I didn't see it. I actually heard it go crunch when I opened the slide. The slide took the door off. Now we use child safety locks to keep the doors closed.

Todd
Desert Storm Vet (US Navy)
2019 Ram 1500 Classic Quad Cab Express 4X4 5.7 Hemi 3.92
2021 Coachmen Spirit Ultra Lite 2557RB

If you can read this thank a teacher
If you can read this in english thank a vet

Pangaea_Ron
Explorer
Explorer
Vince

That's an interesting observation. We have an electric mattress pad that we love to use on our first night out, and usually not much after that.
2008 Itasca SunCruiser 35L
2014 Honda AWD CR-V EX-L

Vinman02
Explorer
Explorer
In the cooler season, we always noticed the first night sleeping was always colder than the following nights. After a while I figured it was because the mattress was still cold from not being used.

Now, as soon as we set up camp, I pull all the blankets back to expose the sheets and mattress, they warm up great as the furnace warms the camper before we get in bed and no more sleeping on a cold mattress.

Vince
2019 Ram 3500 6.7 HO Cummins
2016 Arctic Fox 25Y
Honda EU3000i