cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Handy Hints, Gadgets, Products & Gizmos

GizmosMom
Explorer
Explorer
Another member suggested a new forum section with new products but it doesn't look like it will be feasible. So I thought I would post this here under General RVing Issues. If enough people post (even if you have mentioned it before in another post) we can keep it near the top?

Do you have a handy hint, a new product or an old product that makes your RVing or Camping much better?

(Sorry, no commercial advertising allowed)

I'll start:

Someone in the Camping Van posted a reference to using a Super-Chamois to wipe down their shower. I have been using an icky old thick sponge and I like the chamois idea so much more.

Now I want to hear what works for you
Marilyn w/ Joe, 2016 Class C Sunseeker 2430 SF, often pulling a Ranger bass boat. Traveling with Trigger
Smudge & Gizmo are waiting at the Rainbow Bridge
3,560 REPLIES 3,560

twocruisin
Explorer
Explorer
My backup camera system has space for two cameras......I mounted a second camera on the roof, in front of and just higher than the air conditioner (Which is the tallest point on the bus).....I can approach a suspect overpass slowly and if the camera shows that it will make it under the overpass, I know the rest of the bus will too..........I know it's an expensive way to do it, but it sure works for me......It also gives me a great look down the road when I'm in bumper to bumper traffic......I can see over everyone for miles ahead........
I can switch back to the rear view camera anytime I want......
John
Crystal River
Florida
40 Foot Damon Diesel Bus

tvman44
Explorer
Explorer
DW cooks a lot of meals ahead of time and freezes too. Says she is out there to relax also.

darrentonya wrote:
We like to make our food ahead of time and then freeze it,then when it is time for camping we take it all out of the freezer, it makes for quick meals plus it saves money on buying ice. We put the frozen meals in our cooler and it keeps the drinks cold.

Thanks for all the shower making ideas - it turned out great!
Papa Bob
1* 2008 Brookside by Sunnybrook 32'
1* 2002 F250 Super Duty 7.3L PSD
Husky 16K hitch, Tekonsha P3,
Firestone Ride Rite Air Springs, Trailair Equa-Flex, Champion C46540
"A bad day camping is better than a good day at work!"

02super250
Explorer
Explorer
2011 F350 Lariat 4x4 CC DRW Powerstroke 3:73,LineX,Duraflaps on all four corners,BAK Flip F1.
2011 Keystone Alpine 3640RL :B

darrentonya
Explorer
Explorer
We like to make our food ahead of time and then freeze it,then when it is time for camping we take it all out of the freezer, it makes for quick meals plus it saves money on buying ice. We put the frozen meals in our cooler and it keeps the drinks cold.

Thanks for all the shower making ideas - it turned out great!

cartervan
Explorer
Explorer
I followed a tip from this thread and bought a nice plastic shoe-hanger to cut down and hang on the inside of our flexiglass shower stall for shampoo, conditioner, shower cleaner, etc. My husband asked if I had any of the hooks left over from cutting the shoe-hanger in half. He took one and used it to hang the little squeegy used by the last person showering to wipe down the sides of the shower. I also cut off the bottom of the shoe-hanger since the full length was too long for the shower. It happens that the bottom section had larger pockets in it. So we hung it on the wall in the little toilet compartment to hold magazines. That's a lot of usefulness out of one $8.00 shoe hanger!

Bobbo
Explorer II
Explorer II
A week with no entries?
Bobbo and Lin
2017 F-150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab w/Max Tow Package 3.5l EcoBoost V6
2017 Airstream Flying Cloud 23FB

rolling_rhoda
Explorer
Explorer
We like fish and veggies on the grill. Rather than buy a special rack to keep food from falling through the grate, try making a "tray" out of 2 layers of aluminum foil. Poke a few holes in it to let the juices out. Your shrimp and asparagus will even have those cool grill marks.

FarcticOx
Explorer
Explorer
We always carry half a dozen freeze-dried backpacking meals for those nights when you have driven too far and just want a quick and easy meal.
FarcticOx

Run Silent, Run Deep
BLOG
2003 F350 Diesel DRW.
2005 Arctic Fox B1150 solar powered dry camper.
220 Watts Solar, 2 300AH 6 volt AGMs, Yamaha EF1000iS Generator

Longwell
Explorer
Explorer
Nothing for days?
WOW.

Terrydactile
Explorer
Explorer
ArmySFCRet wrote:
Referencing my post above... If it is for the kids you can use a small umbrella, if it is for us "grown ups and outs" use a beach umbrella and TWO curtains. :B

๐Ÿ™‚
Scott & Theresa Boyd
2 Daughters (Cassie & Brittany)
1 Furkid (Ella, a Basset Golden mix)
2008 Keystone Passport 280BH
2013 F 150 Supercrew EcoBoost XLT

ArmySFCRet
Explorer
Explorer
Referencing my post above... If it is for the kids you can use a small umbrella, if it is for us "grown ups and outs" use a beach umbrella and TWO curtains. :B

'04 Cross Country 35' w/300 Cummins
'14 Ford Escape on KarKaddy 460SS
'09 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 Crew 5.7 Hemi MDS
'51 & '53 Hudson Hornets 308 6cyl w/

TWIN H-POWER

&
5 lbs of BG the Yorkie
Members of:
Grand Canyon Chapter of Hudson Essex Terraplane Club Inc

Okie_in_Wyoming
Explorer
Explorer
Jerry9n wrote:
Cabelas has a number of portable enclosures. Here is one inexpensive one:

LINK

We also have one of these, I put the shower bag on the hood or tailgate of the truck to warm up. Then I can wash my hair standing at the truck. When boondocking for a week, this sure helps keep the grey tanks less filled!
When our grown kids come with us, they like staying in their tent, but it is rather small and changing clothes can be a challenge...so they use the shower enclosure as their dressing room.
Smiles across the Miles
Darling Husband
2 Wonderful Dogs
And Me
2007 Dodge 2500 Quad Cab(Diesel)
2010 Cougar 276RLS

Jeanne_M
Explorer
Explorer
ArmySFCRet wrote:
When the kids were young we took an old umbrella, hung it from a tree limb by the handle and hung a regular shower curtain from the points around the rim. Also took a beer keg, filled it with water and let it sit in the sun all day. Presto instant shower with hot water.

Very clever!! I'll have to remember this!
Jeanne & Kenny
2005 Itasca Horizon 36GD, Freightliner Evolution Chassis, Cat 350
1992 Honda Accord
And Bailey, our furry traveling companion
Good Sam, TT/Naco,PA,RPI,AOR,C2C,FMCA #F151328
Our Pictures

ArmySFCRet
Explorer
Explorer
darrentonya wrote:
Does anyone have any cheap ideas of how to make a make shift privacy shower outside. When the kids go into the lake to swim they would like to wash the sand off outside but would like some privacy.

When the kids were young we took an old umbrella, hung it from a tree limb by the handle and hung a regular shower curtain from the points around the rim. Also took a beer keg, filled it with water and let it sit in the sun all day. Presto instant shower with hot water.

'04 Cross Country 35' w/300 Cummins
'14 Ford Escape on KarKaddy 460SS
'09 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 Crew 5.7 Hemi MDS
'51 & '53 Hudson Hornets 308 6cyl w/

TWIN H-POWER

&
5 lbs of BG the Yorkie
Members of:
Grand Canyon Chapter of Hudson Essex Terraplane Club Inc

KLO
Explorer
Explorer
Hula hoop with shower curtain hung from tree branch.