cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Handy Hints, Gadgets, Products & Gizmos

GizmosMom
Explorer
Explorer
Another member suggested a new forum section with new products but it doesn't look like it will be feasible. So I thought I would post this here under General RVing Issues. If enough people post (even if you have mentioned it before in another post) we can keep it near the top?

Do you have a handy hint, a new product or an old product that makes your RVing or Camping much better?

(Sorry, no commercial advertising allowed)

I'll start:

Someone in the Camping Van posted a reference to using a Super-Chamois to wipe down their shower. I have been using an icky old thick sponge and I like the chamois idea so much more.

Now I want to hear what works for you
Marilyn w/ Joe, 2016 Class C Sunseeker 2430 SF, often pulling a Ranger bass boat. Traveling with Trigger
Smudge & Gizmo are waiting at the Rainbow Bridge
3,560 REPLIES 3,560

JimBollman
Explorer
Explorer
I made an alcohol burner for my fire bowl/pit today out of the bottom section of two of the large coffee cans. Cut one off about 2" from the bottom and the other about an inch. With lots messing around I crimped the top edge of the 2" part a little and stuffed it with cotton batting scraps from my wife's sewing room. Put the 1" part on top laid a board a cross and tapped it in till it was fully on. Used a ball pean hammer to make a dished out area in the center and punched a hole in the middle maybe 1/4" in diameter. Then I put a circle of punched holes around part way out and a few more out on the edge.

I poured a bottle of the cheap dry gas stuff in. The burner fits nicely into the bottom of my hubcap burner. I piled in the lava rocks and lit it. Made a nice clean fire, but only burned for about 45-60 minutes. That is 3+ times longer than just pouring the alcohol on the lava rocks but still not a real long fire.

I'll have to think about that one for awhile, may just leave it has a solid fuel burner.

Jim...

funkoptimus
Explorer
Explorer
hershey wrote:
Its not just strangers.......we were invited to have dinner with a couple we have known for a few years. When we finished, they took the plates and set them on the floor for the two chihuahua's to lick "clean". I almost gagged. Makes you wonder about the food you eat at pot lucks.

You never heard of the pre-wash cycle!!;)

dogcomestoo
Explorer
Explorer
I just read this whole thing and I don't even have an RV- yet. I want one even more now. Well, retirement is only 5 years away.
Thanks everyone for all the great ideas. Some of them I may use in my stick house.

Arizona_5ers
Explorer
Explorer
Ok, I haven't read the whole thread yet, but here are a few.
I don't like to see "junk" at the foot of the bed in the 5er. So, I bought several large wicker baskets. Now the shoes, socks or whatever are not noticeable when you walk into the trailer. I use one as my laundry basket, but leave my trailer slippers in the bottom all the time.
Also have small wicker basket right by the door on the counter. Right where he sets his keys, screws, knifes, radio, matches, and all that stuff. I have another for the remote and the tissue box near the sofa. I use the Rubbermaid shelf liners to keep the baskets on the counter from moving while we travel. When I couldn't find the color I wanted, I bought wood stain. Now they are all nearly the same color.
An old 12" birch bark canoe holds the salt, pepper, garlic, napkins on the table. Just set inside overhead cupboard when we move.
I bought a sock drawer organizer. Keeps the cups and glasses in place when we move.
We have the overhead storage all across the back, over the sofa. I use small baskets in each section. This keeps the boating/fishing stuff, hats, NASCAR stuff, books all separate. Plus, being short I can pull the baskets out and get what I want and return. The basket are see through or in a grid pattern so I can see what is in each. I use these all over the trailer. They keep things in place and I can stack in some of the other cupboards. I use them for canned goods. I can pull the basket out of the cupboard to see what I'm reaching for.
Don't forget the folding step stool, I've been short a long time.
2007 2500 Dodge Ram Big Horn 4X4 QC Prodigy
2007 Forest River Rockwood Signature Ultra Lite 26Ft

Lifes Just One Big Cartoon, And We're the Star Players!

welsteach
Explorer
Explorer
I used velcro for my shoe pockets under the bed. The velcro didn't like to stick to the fabric. Solution, fabric glue. Going to try this spring (if it ever gets here).

Serena
Explorer
Explorer
Oh - other option. Velcro.
Serena

I Know Where I Been, Cuz I Was There When I Went.

Serena
Explorer
Explorer
Depending on how it hangs, twinsmom, you may not even need to staple it. Mine stay in place even when loaded with shoes, scarves, lint brush, etc. I hung them only on the sides because the clearance at the foot of the bed is small and I have circuit breaker panel and aisle light there. Could work in another configuration, though.

I will tell you this much - if I ever live in a stick house again (heaven forbid), I will build a platform bed with the overhangs and hinges like this. MUCH better storage space than with a conventional bed frame! And although I wouldn't do it in the RV, also a good spot for a firesafe or weapons you don't actively use. Even if anyone ever looked there, it would take quite a while to get it unlocked and open.

(Oh dear. Now I will end up redesigning all conventional furniture in my head all morning. Poor me. :))
Serena

I Know Where I Been, Cuz I Was There When I Went.

twinsmom04
Explorer
Explorer
Wow, almost 4 hours later....

I haven't done it yet, but I plan on taking one of those canvas hanging shoe racks and attaching it to the underside of the queen bed to store the extra shoes in. Was thinking of heavy duty staples. If its' too long I will cut it down. going to attach it on its side so that when the bed is down, the bottom of the bed will keep the shoes inside the rack and then when i lift the bed, it is on a slight angle so they all stay in nice too. make sense?
TV - 2007 Silverado Crew cab shortbox with 5.3l engine
TT - 2007 28BHS Passport

campers include me and my 4 year old twin boys and occasionally DH

Hiker3
Explorer
Explorer
JimBollman wrote:
It is actually very stable on the coffee can.

:C I like that!! Small and functional. Thanks for the photos.
Livin Lite Quicksilver 8.0 (Folding Tent Camper) only 900 lbs!

JimBollman
Explorer
Explorer
It is actually very stable on the coffee can. Not sure it wil be stable enough for cooking on. I may add 3 large head screws in the cap where it makes contact with the can for more stability. Would really like to find a can just the diameter of the chrome part to drop in.

Also I might have to add a few small holes part way down (roughly where the chrome starts) for air in low for better burning.

Jim...

scratch_goose
Explorer
Explorer
Hello;
I have my wine glasses hanging from a glass rack in my cabinet. To keep them from clanking, I purched two packs of kids low ancle socks to place over the glasses.
Comes in colors also...
Scratch

GizmosMom
Explorer
Explorer
Your campfire idea is very "BRIGHT!":W
Marilyn w/ Joe, 2016 Class C Sunseeker 2430 SF, often pulling a Ranger bass boat. Traveling with Trigger
Smudge & Gizmo are waiting at the Rainbow Bridge

welsteach
Explorer
Explorer
That is neat! And so much cheaper than the prefab models. Only concern is tippable. Maybe a cookie tin would be lower. . . . oh, yeah, I can see myself in the garage puttering until this weather gives up. Thanks for the idea.

JimBollman
Explorer
Explorer
Not sure if this belongs here, but why not. I have a small slide it truck camper. I wanted a small fire bowl/pit that would pack in the bed of the truck, beside the camper, for small evening fires. I also wanted it small because I didn't want to haul a lot of wood. Everyone I found for sale was to big.

Here was last years prototype.

It is a generic 60s stainless hubcap. I can burn wax log chunks or small wood scrapes with or with lava rocks to fill in around the fire. Worked well but it was a little shallow.

I picked up this late 30s V8 Ford hubcap at a flea market for $3 last fall.

After some cleaning, dent removal and painting with high temperature paint.

Here is a test run of the new and improved deign.

It will get a field test in about a week.

I also tried it with alcohol over lava rocks.

Makes a real nice clean fire but burns to fast, I need to have something under the lava rocks to contain and control the alcohol burn.

When we used the prototype last summer we found that a 5 gallon pail of wood scraps from under the saw was good for several evening wires. I also carry two large coffee cans one with chunks of wax log and one with lava rocks.

A bonus is I found a grill grate that fits the new design perfect if we decide to do a little cooking.

Jim...

PGR_Skye
Explorer
Explorer
Bump!
Darrell & Madonna
Furkid, GSD Sigfried
2001 Patriot Thunder by Beaver
Jeep Grand Cherokee