cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Hauling bikes with camper or rv....

lolab15
Explorer
Explorer
Hi Everyone, I am new to this forum and hope that I am posting this in the right section. I have noticed that with my camper I don't have much for options with a system in which I can bring upto 5 bikes behind the Van or SUV and have the camper or RV hitched onto a ball mount. Is there such a system, a complete unit. Basically one complete system that hauls your bikes behind the vehicle, can fold down / pivot to gain access to the back of the vehicle with the bikes still on but also hauls the camper or trailer at the same time.

Thanks,
Lolab15
14 REPLIES 14

mkirsch
Nomad II
Nomad II
Agreed. Nothing out there to handle 5 bikes AND tow. Heck I don't think there's even a bike rack to carry 5 bikes alone!

It's all about leverage. Even though the weight may be within the SUV's capacity, it is hanging way off the back, putting excess leverage on the SUV's receiver hitch. The effect will be of a trailer that's way over your SUV's capacity.

You need to put the bikes on the trailer or on the roof of the SUV, or both because you have so many.

In all likelihood you are close to maxxed out with your SUV just with the kids and the trailer. The bikes are going to make things a little interesting. If you'd managed to mount them to the rear of the SUV, it would make things VERY interesting.

Putting 10-ply tires on half ton trucks since aught-four.

bikendan
Explorer
Explorer
there is nothing out there that'll carry 5 bikes on the back of your vehicle and still be able to tow.
and your Pilot will probably have its hitch weight max exceeded.

a roof mounted bike rack is the best solution for that many bikes.

if you have a popup, then get a popup roof rack system. that'll solve the space issues and hitch weight issues.
Yakima or Thule would be my recommendation.
Dan- Firefighter, Retired:C, Shawn- Musician/Entrepreneur:W, Zoe- Faithful Golden Retriever(RIP:(), 2014 Ford F150 3.5 EcoboostMax Tow pkg, 2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255 w/4pt Equalizer and 5 Mtn. bikes and 2 Road bikes

atreis
Explorer
Explorer
I carry 3 bikes on the roof of the minivan, and the other 2 inside the trailer. You can also get tongue mounts for bikes, but have to watch the effect on tongue weight.
2021 Four Winds 26B on Chevy 4500

drsteve
Explorer
Explorer
It's a popup? Just put a roof rack on the camper and call it good.
2006 Silverado 1500HD Crew Cab 2WD 6.0L 3.73 8600 GVWR
2018 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 223RBS
1991 Palomino Filly PUP

C_B_
Explorer
Explorer
Another option.

I've only got 2 on top but you could put 3.
Other two could go inside with other camping stuff.

C.B.
CBVP2004~FORD~F350~CC~LARIAT~SRW~SB~4X4~6.0D~
AUTO~PULLRITE 16K SUPERGLIDE~DEMCO GLIDERIDE~
PRODIGY CONTROLLER~C-BETR MIRRORS~EMS-HW50C~

Butch/Barb=2013-Cedar Creek 36CKTS
Kris/Katy=2006-Cherokee 32B

SoCalDesertRid1
Explorer
Explorer
I would mount bike racks on the roof of the popup trailer and carry them there, or mount rack on roof of SUV/Van and carry them there.
01 International 4800 4x4 CrewCab DT466E Allison MD3060
69Bronco 86Samurai 85ATC250R 89CR500
98Ranger 96Tacoma
20' BigTex flatbed
8' truck camper, 14' Aristocrat TT
73 Kona 17' ski boat & Mercury 1150TB
92F350 CrewCab 4x4 351/C6 285 BFG AT 4.56 & LockRite rear

carringb
Explorer
Explorer
lolab15 wrote:
Hi Everyone, thanks for all the responses. I think miscommunicated my intentions. I have a foldout camper, I would like to place the bikes, upto 4 at a time, behind my Honda Pilot SUV. Basically in-between my SUV and the Camper. I was hoping there was something already in the market that is a one system unit i.e. can carry my bikes and at the same time can connect my camper to the hitch mount.

Doubtful you have enough rear axle capacity on the Honda to add 200+ pounds of hitch weight to the setup. This will also push the trailer back, which will make the effective tongue weight even higher.
2000 Ford E450 V10 VAN! 450,000+ miles
2014 ORV really big trailer
2015 Ford Focus ST

M_A_S_H
Explorer
Explorer
Sounds like something like this possibly is close: Curt clamp on hitch

Only holds 3 though. I have one of these for the kids bikes and doing the following for my wife's and my larger (also nicer) bikes, as well as the half wheeler: Dinette rack
2003 Excursion 6.0
2010 Passport 290bh

Dick_B
Explorer
Explorer
By foldout if you mean popup put four of the bikes on top of the RV. Put the smallest bike in the back of the truck. Also look at Dahon's if you need to buy any bikes in the future. They fold up to suitcase size.
Dick_B
2003 SunnyBrook 27FKS
2011 3/4 T Chevrolet Suburban
Equal-i-zer Hitch
One wife, two electric bikes (both Currie Tech Path+ models)

lolab15
Explorer
Explorer
Hi Everyone, thanks for all the responses. I think miscommunicated my intentions. I have a foldout camper, I would like to place the bikes, upto 4 at a time, behind my Honda Pilot SUV. Basically in-between my SUV and the Camper. I was hoping there was something already in the market that is a one system unit i.e. can carry my bikes and at the same time can connect my camper to the hitch mount.

boshog
Explorer
Explorer
If you go with a bike carrier on the back of your RV be sure to get one rated for RV use. They are designed to handle the additional lateral forces.

I just went through this, spend several weeks trying to find the best way to haul two bikes along with the fifth wheel. I finally settled on adding a 2" receiver to the front of the truck and a RV rated platform bike rack. Now I have the option of carrying the bike on the front of the truck, rear of the truck, or on the back of the fiver.

mbopp
Explorer
Explorer
There's the option of installing a receiver hitch on the front of the SUV for bikes.
2017 Grand Design Imagine 2650RK
2019 F250 XLT Supercab
Just DW & me......

scbwr
Explorer II
Explorer II
Depending on the design of the frame of your trailer, you could have a receiver welded to the frame of your trailer. This may involve welding additional material for the receiver to be welded to. Then you could use a bike carrier designed for use with receivers. But you also have to pay attention to the fact that the weight of bikes carried at the rear of the trailer will reduce hitch weight.

A partial solution may be to use some folded bikes which can be very easy to carry. We have a pair of folding Dahon bikes which have been excellent. Greenzonebikes.com and 2ksilver.com carry some decent low priced folding bikes.

It may help in getting suggestions if you tell us what kind of rig you have.
Welcome to the forum!!
2012 Newmar Bay Star 3302
Blue Ox Avail
BrakeBuddy Advantage
2015 Malibu

"Get busy living, or get busy dying."
Andy Dufresne, The Shawshank Redemption

ChooChooMan74
Explorer
Explorer
5 bikes and a trailer will be nearly impossible the way you would like to do it. I am going to suggest with that many bikes, you will want to utilize both the roof and the tongue of the trailer. Although I have a truck, this is how I carry 4 bikes.
http://www.rv.net/forum/index.cfm/fuseaction/thread/tid/28939990.cfm
I do not have the longest bars with the 65 inch bars that I have. They also make a 78" bar, and I could probably squeeze 5, or possibly 6, with the 78" bars.

If you can do only 3 or 4 bikes on your roof, I would also suggest a tongue mounted bike rack. They can get expensive, but are a very safe alternative.
Great American Anti-Towing Conspiracy
2015 Ram Truck 1500 Ecodiesel Tuned By Green Diesel
2006 Jeep Liberty CRD Tuned By Green Diesel (Retired to Daily Driver)
2015 Rockwood Roo 183
Stop on by and read my Camping Blogs
Nights Camped in 2015 - 19 and Winterized