cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Have You Ever Tripped the 50 amp Breaker at the PED ?

Water-Bug
Explorer
Explorer
Just wondering if anyone has ever tripped the 50 amp breaker at the ped under conditions other than a low line voltage in the park or mower hitting the anaconda. 50 amp service seems like a way overkill for an RV. Grandma's house only had 50 amp single leg service.
13 REPLIES 13

john_bet
Explorer
Explorer
Yip, it was caused by a direct short in the RV wiring. Did not show while on 30 amp.
2018 Ram 3500 SRW CC LB 6.7L Cummins Auto 3.42 gears
2018 Grand Design 337RLS

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
Water-Bug wrote:
50 amp service seems like a way overkill for an RV.

Keeping in mind also that so-called "50 amp" RV service is really 100 amp service in total because it's delivered as 50 amps per leg across two legs, ergo 12,000 watts vs 3,600 watts for "30 amp" RV service. BIG difference. :E
2012 Silverado 1500 Crew Cab
2014 Coachmen Freedom Express 192RBS
2003 Fleetwood Yuma * 2008 K-Z Spree 240BH-LX
2007 TrailCruiser C21RBH * 2000 Fleetwood Santa Fe
1998 Jayco 10UD * 1969 Coleman CT380

JoeH
Explorer III
Explorer III
Yes--- old worn out breaker- went to the office and told them it needed to be replaced, they came over , swapped it out and all was good.
Joe
2013 Dutch Star 4338- all electric
Toad is 2015 F-150 with bikes,kayaks and Harley aboard

Roadpilot
Explorer
Explorer
Yes, I've tripped a 50 amp breaker. Sometimes because I drew more then 50 amps on a leg and sometimes because the campgrounds breaker was old and needed to be replaced.
Tiffin Wayfarer 25TW
15 Mini Cooper S

Water-Bug
Explorer
Explorer
Dtank wrote:
Water-Bug wrote:
Just wondering if anyone has ever tripped the 50 amp breaker at the ped under conditions other than a low line voltage in the park or mower hitting the anaconda. 50 amp service seems like a way overkill for an RV. Grandma's house only had 50 amp single leg service.

No.

Not overkill.

Grandma probably had post and tube wiring also, ROTFL..:B

As a matter of fact she did. ๐Ÿ™‚

Water-Bug
Explorer
Explorer
Everything except the washer and dryer would operate at the same time off of a 10 amp inverter.

portscanner
Explorer
Explorer
Grandma didnt have:
3 Computers
1 Cable modem
Wireless box
2 TV's per room
Washing machine
Dryer
20 iPhones plugged in recharging
One beautiful wife
Mattie and Trooper the furcampers
2019 Dodge 4500 with 2008 Lance 1181
2015 Jeep Wrangler toad w/ ReadyBrake/Brute
Web Site

Dtank
Explorer
Explorer
Water-Bug wrote:

No.

Not overkill.

Grandma probably had post and tube wiring also, ROTFL..:B

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
GF tried......
A/C ON
Water heater ON
Fridge ON
Converter/charger ON
TV ON
Radio ON
Oscillating Fan ON
Microwave ON

Then plugged in Hair Dryer.......bathroom GFI tripped

See even with all that stuff ON...never exceeded 50A on either leg

Now 30A pedestal breaker......oh yeah!
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

donn0128
Explorer II
Explorer II
Yup. It had been under water once and ao it was basically toast. 10 dollars and all was well again

Dutch_12078
Explorer
Explorer
We have tripped a 50 amp pedestal breaker, but since it occurred almost immediately after hooking up with a minimal draw, I was sure it was a faulty breaker. I reported it to the office, and since it was late in the day, I told them we were ok for the night using the 30 amp outlet. The next day the breaker was replaced, and we had no further issues.
Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate

Ivylog
Explorer III
Explorer III
And she could not have a $300/month power bill, but big MH can when it's hot out. While that may not trip two 50 amp services, I've seen one leg on mine come close with two AC's, dryer running, AquaHot on electric and the micro and induction cook top all going at once, but NO in ten years.
This post is my opinion (free advice). It is not intended to influence anyone's judgment nor do I advocate anyone do what I propose.
Sold 04 Dynasty to our son after 14 great years.
Upgraded with a 08 HR Navigator 45โ€™...

BB_TX
Nomad
Nomad
Is suppose it could be done if you had some combination of an AC, microwave, water heater, clothes dryer, electric skillet, hair dryer, etc. all wired on one hot leg and on at the same time. But highly unlikely I would guess. Can't remember anyone ever saying they did trip one.