cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Health Insurance/Domicile State

Wolf3gang
Explorer
Explorer
I had to apply for health insurance via the Health Insurance Marketplace because I have been denied insurance due to high BP. Prior to choosing a plan, I called the company and explained that I was a FTmr. Was told this was okay. Paid my first premium. Today received a letter requesting 2 forms of documentation of residency of 9 months or more to continue coverage. This is my domicile state, SD. Now no insurance. Have filed a formal complaint with the state. Has this happened to anyone else. Thank you in advance for responses.
14 REPLIES 14

orfsotr
Explorer
Explorer
I am assuming that since you are a full timer you are not tied to any particular location. So is there a reason you cannot go reside in SD for the required number of months? Unfortunatley while this would get you coverage there it sounds like it will not help with your health care (other than emergency) while traveling.

Wolf3gang
Explorer
Explorer
Same state. Health Insurance Marketplace referred me to SD State Dept. of Insurance to file a formal complaint.

docj
Explorer
Explorer
Stickbender wrote:
We received our letter requesting proof of residence today from South Dakota, Sanford Health plan, they request 2 forms of proof that we have been residence for 9 months. We do our banking , have drivers license , register 3 vehicles and still cant meet the 2 requirements, unless we basically move to South DAKOTA. Any suggestions on a affordable company w can go with in S.D.?

Out of curiosity, what sorts of things are they asking for?
Sandie & Joel

2000 40' Beaver Patriot Thunder Princeton--425 HP/1550 ft-lbs CAT C-12
2014 Honda CR-V AWD EX-L with ReadyBrute tow bar/braking system
WiFiRanger Ambassador/RVParkReviews administrator
Follow our adventures on Facebook at Weiss Travels

Stickbender
Explorer
Explorer
We received our letter requesting proof of residence today from South Dakota, Sanford Health plan, they request 2 forms of proof that we have been residence for 9 months. We do our banking , have drivers license , register 3 vehicles and still cant meet the 2 requirements, unless we basically move to South DAKOTA. Any suggestions on a affordable company w can go with in S.D.?

hotpepperkid
Explorer
Explorer
tahiti16 wrote:
Most of us that have an HMO have always only had care at home with emergency when outside the area, an exception is Kaiser since they are all over but still have limits.

All over where?? Kaiser did really well this summer for us. We were in IA and the wife felt some numbness on one of her hands and face and tongue. We went to the closest ER in Cedar Falls and they xfered us to Allen in Waterloo IA and after half the night and most of the next day doing test discovered one of her carotid arterys were 80% plugged. We opted to have the surgery there. The hospital took care of all the communications with Kaiser. A couple of days later we were back in camp and the following week the Doc released her to go on our way. Kaiser took care of all of the expences except $440
2019 Ford F-350 long bed SRW 4X4 6.4 PSD Grand Designs Reflection 295RL 5th wheel

docj
Explorer
Explorer
Wolf3gang wrote:
Sorry, Domiciled in August to SD. Forgot to update my info. Prior to applying to the insurance company, verified they had physicians nationwide and I would be covered.

Unfortunately, you forgot to do all the things which help prove, not just to the insurance company, that you have really established a new domicile. Your former domicile state might go after you for income taxes charging that you never really left the state. Not having gotten a new drivers license is something they will have record of.
Sandie & Joel

Wolf3gang
Explorer
Explorer
Sorry, Domiciled in August to SD. Forgot to update my info. Prior to applying to the insurance company, verified they had physicians nationwide and I would be covered.

tahiti16
Explorer
Explorer
Most of us that have an HMO have always only had care at home with emergency when outside the area, an exception is Kaiser since they are all over but still have limits.
Ray, Cheryl & of course Miss Molly the four-legged child

2006 Dolphin 36' F53 V10 5 speed auto 2 slides 7.5 KW genset

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
docj wrote:
Old-Biscuit wrote:

Any medical coverage/treatment outside the state of SD is cash out of your pocket....on your own---no coverage.

I've never seen a medical insurance plan that didn't at least provide emergency treatment outside your own network. Do you have evidence that none of the SD plans have even this minimal level of coverage?

My apology for using the word 'Any'
Emergency care......probably.
But any thing other than emergency.....in state only unless you happen to live in a multi-state plan AND have signed up/enrolled in that plan.

This is for those in the ACA. Not Medicare/medicaid/VA etc.

FTrs typically use SD, TX and FL as domicile state.
SD and FL are NOT states that have insurers that provide a multi- state plan.

The multi-state plan is SUPPOSE to be extended to all states (and DC) over the next 4 yrs.
19 states currently do NOT have multi-state plans

Check out the link provided.
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

docj
Explorer
Explorer
Old-Biscuit wrote:

Any medical coverage/treatment outside the state of SD is cash out of your pocket....on your own---no coverage.

I've never seen a medical insurance plan that didn't at least provide emergency treatment outside your own network. Do you have evidence that none of the SD plans have even this minimal level of coverage?
Sandie & Joel

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
Domicile in SD
So you have your SD drivers license, you have your SD vehicle registration(s), you have your SD vehicle insurance, your SD voters registration, all the mail that is sent to your SD address.

Should be able to prove your SD domicile.

Course SD does not participate in the Multi-plan Program within the Health Insurance Marketplace.
Meaning that the medical insurance coverage you have via ACA using SD as domicile is only good for medical coverage within the state of SD.

Multi-Plan Program.........LINK
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

Happytraveler
Explorer
Explorer
We found out we had no medical insurance for the month of December. The only way we new this is because of a trip to the ER and one night stay in the hospital Dec.31st. I spent Jan. 2nd on the phone trying to straighten all this mess out. It ended up being a typo error between human resources and Blue Cross.

Obamacare patients socked with huge cash bills flee hospitals
Charlie, a male Soft Coated Wheaten Terrier
Katie, a female Soft Coated Wheaten Terrier

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
I too would go with federal documents like the Social Security statement, and phone bills, and the rent for your PO box and of course your Driver's license (photo of it) and registration.

We really need to establish a 51st state (Might as well call it the state of confusion) that would be for full time RVers.. Basically all e would need is senators, a representive or two, and a DMV. oh, and the Office in Chicago. (That part is half joke.. Many states have offices in Chicago).
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

docj
Explorer
Explorer
What kind of documentation were they requesting? As a full-timer I can provide several years of cell phone bills as well as Social Security and pension statements all of which show my domicile address in SD. I also have a driver's license dated more than two years ago and a voter registration card. In order for your domicile to be taken seriously you need to transfer your affairs to that address.
Sandie & Joel