cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Help with California gun laws related to RVs?

Thunder_Mountai
Explorer II
Explorer II
Please, please keep your political views to yourself. I'm asking for very specific information/Internet links to answer my questions.

I have read the California gun laws from their .gov website. I understand that CA doesn't recognize any other state's CC permit. I can only carry my unloaded pistol in the trunk or in a locked box in the car.

My question revolves around the following statement from the CA website as applied to my motorhome: Unless otherwise unlawful, any person over the age of 18 who is not prohibited from possessing firearms may have a loaded or unloaded firearm at his or her
place of residence, temporary residence, campsite or on private property owned or lawfully possessed by the person

When the motorhome is in motion, I assume that a pistol would need to be in a lock box. Second, I assume that while in an RV park or campsite the residence statement would apply and allow the loaded pistol to be nearby inside the RV. Please comment on these two assumptions and keep your responses on topic.
2016 Winnebago Journey 40R
2018 Rubicon
1982 FJ40 Toyota Land Cruiser
2020 Keystone Outback 327CG
2020 Dodge Ram 2500
Polaris RZR XP 1000
4 Cats
3 Dogs
1 Bottle of Jack Daniels
Two old hippies still trying to find ourselves!
20 REPLIES 20

beemerphile1
Explorer
Explorer
DownTheAvenue wrote:
beemerphile1 wrote:
I would understand the law as when on the road the MH is a vehicle and when parked it is a residence.

This is the most logical, and while the courts are sometimes not what most people would consider logical, your statement would be a great base for an argument to present in court and, without doing research, I think there would be plenty of case law in any state to support this opinion.

I would qualify my earlier statement about when parked. If in a store parking lot the MH would probably still be considered a vehicle even if parked. This could be a bit of a gray area. At an overnight stop/parked it would be a residence.
Build a life you don't need a vacation from.

2016 Silverado 3500HD DRW D/A 4x4
2018 Keystone Cougar 26RBS
2006 Weekend Warrior FK1900

big_bird_2
Explorer
Explorer
I live in CA and own guns. I just happen to have a car with no trunk and a truck with, can you believe it, no trunk. I believe the police in CA do not know the CA gun laws and licensed gun safety instructors know less. I contacted the Calif. Attorney Generalโ€™s office, who govern gun ownership and handling in CA, and they say an RV is your home and you may have a loaded gun in your home for self defense. They encouraged me to keep it locked unloaded and in a secure place in the RV. They are reluctant to answer questions and repeatedly referred me to the CA gun laws!
I keep a loaded pistol, 10 shell hollow point magazine, ready at home at all times. When I travel with the pistol to a shooting range it is locked with a cable lock, in a case and in a zipper locked knapsack in the back seat. The ammo is in a separate compartment in the knapsack. Most of the shooters at my indoor range are police and no one has ever said a thing to me. Remember no one will say anything until something bad happens, and then it is too late.
Big Bird 2

dave54
Explorer III
Explorer III
California is really two states in one.

Depends upon the county.

In the urban counties gun law enforcement is very strict -- SF, LA, et al. They will fabricate some excuse to prosecute you, even if they have to dig deep into the codes to find some trivial obsolete offense. You may eventually prevail in court, but your life will be hell until charges are cleared.

In the rural counties LE will largely not care. You could haul a loaded howitzer in the back of your pickup and get a friendly wave from the local cops. That is an exaggeration, but as long as you are not a felon or blatantly doing something stupid local LE will not make an issue of how you carry a weapon in your RV.
=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=
So many campsites, so little time...
~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
My concern is this: The way I read this no permit is needed to have a gun in the house (motor home).. Ok, I won't comment on that other than to say I can respect it.

But this is California.....

Recalling an episode of Bonanza where Hoss left home and set out on his own... Well he got into this town and wound up being sheriff.. There was a gang of notorious bank robbers there but they had never done anything bad in California, IN fact they banked their stolen money in that town's bank.. Hoss "Faked" a bank robbery, Got them to join the possie, and then chased the bank robbers.. Finally he ran into his Dad along with a collection of others including the local Sheriff.. Seems Hoss had led them over the state line to a state where they were wanted men.. hoss road back to town and the show continued, IT was a very funny eipsode for other reasons I won't spoil it.

My concern is this.. You are going from point A, in california, to point B, also in california, but your path leaves the state,, And you find yourself in a state where PERMITS ARE NEEDED to have a gun in your possession... Now what?

I'm not a legal expert, nor a firearm owner (my guns shoot solder, hot air, Beams of light, or Lubricants) so I'm not worried, But I think this might just be a talking point.

Bottom line... Is up to you folks for reasons just stated (does not affect me).
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

DownTheAvenue
Explorer
Explorer
beemerphile1 wrote:
I would understand the law as when on the road the MH is a vehicle and when parked it is a residence.

This is the most logical, and while the courts are sometimes not what most people would consider logical, your statement would be a great base for an argument to present in court and, without doing research, I think there would be plenty of case law in any state to support this opinion.

DownTheAvenue
Explorer
Explorer
Edd505 wrote:
DownTheAvenue wrote:

All states have different laws, and case law, both at the state and federal level has probably already defined when a motorhome is a vehicle and when it is a residence.

I am retired LE from another state with a very similar law. Read similar law, I also taught Law to new officers. Technically, read the definition of motorhomes /campers in the CA MV law and you'll have a definitive answer. I'll bet it defines both as RESIDENCES. Break into one is BURGLARY.

Done with the issue........

I beg to differ with your response. Since I have a law degree, I think I may just have a better handle on the topic. Your very narrow perspective is from a lay person. One concept lacking in your response is the issue of case law, which is individual Court rulings that further define or even expand existing legislation. Case law can be at the individual state level, federal courts from the same district as the contested issue (which would carry more influence) or from a different federal district, or even a Supreme Court ruling.

Example: most states would have in their laws a definition of a motor vehicle as well as a residence. The definition may be very clear what a residence is and a motor home probably would fit that criteria. Likewise with a vehicle. So which is which? Absent legislation which defines when a motorhome is a vehicle and when it is a residence, one would look to cases that have been adjudicated for examples. Those cases that where courts have ruled can be referred to as definitive.

So, even though legislation can have one written law, the intent of the legislation will be interpreted by the courts via case law and establishes, in essence, new law.

beemerphile1
Explorer
Explorer
Build a life you don't need a vacation from.

2016 Silverado 3500HD DRW D/A 4x4
2018 Keystone Cougar 26RBS
2006 Weekend Warrior FK1900

path1
Explorer
Explorer
I'm asking for very specific information/Internet links to answer my questions.

Best and most current I could find. Maybe somebody else has better link or something newer?

https://oag.ca.gov/sites/all/files/agweb/pdfs/firearms/pdf/cfl2013.pdf
2003 Majestic 23P... Northwest travel machine
2013 Arctic Fox 25W... Wife "doll house" for longer snowbird trips
2001 "The Mighty Dodge"... tow vehicle for "doll house"

Old-Biscuit
Explorer II
Explorer II
Lived in CA for 30 yrs.
Competed in Cowboy Action Shooting for 20 yrs CA and other States

While in transit rifles/shotguns unloaded and stored completely separate of ammo
While in transit handguns unloaded in lock box and stored completely separate of ammo

With a MH.....transit
weapons unloaded inside.....ammo in one of the outside compartments
With MH.......parked
weapons and ammo can co-mingle
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

J_herb
Explorer
Explorer
In the spring of 2014 I had to transport 6 long guns and 3 pistols from Redding Ca. to Medford Oregon for safe keeping for friends.
I went to the California Hwy Patrol office in Redding to see how to take them to Oregon, they came out to see my truck and told me to empty all guns and put the long guns in the back seat of my truck and than lock the amo in the camper. Than they told me to get a lock box and put the pistols in it unloaded and lock it and put it in the back seat floor and lock the amo in the back. The CHP were very nice and glad that I checked with them. Go to or call a CHP office and ask them about your wanting to have them in your MH and they will give you the answers you need to transport your firearms.
J herb

Ed_Gee
Explorer II
Explorer II
Some of the information stated in this thread could get you into trouble! In California, as in many other states, you need to keep your firearm UNLOADED AND LOCKED up in a lock box or other lockable container/cabinet, ... and the ammunition separate from that locked container.
Additional, if your RV is on a public road, you ARE a vehicle - NOT a home. You are not camped until parked - jacks down, power hooked up, etc. at which time you are in your home and laws governing possession of firearms in your home then apply.
As previously stated by another here, California also has many regulations regarding the TYPE of firearm, drop safety ratings, ammunition, and magazine capacities. You need to know where your firearm fits into these laws.
My comments are primarily regarding handguns. There may be some legal differences with regards to long guns.
Ed - on the Central Oregon coast
2018 Winnebago Fuse 23A
Scion xA toad

starcraft69
Explorer
Explorer
You are correct I have a whole family in law enforcement in CA. When moving you are transporting (lock box) camping and rv park ( your home ). Just obey traffic laws and no worry. We have crappy gun laws but a great state enjoy CA and have fun!!!!!!!
2007 chevy 2500 HD 6.0 longbed
2015 Eagle HT 28.5 5th wheel
tucker the fishing dog

aguablanco
Explorer
Explorer
I travel to CA frequently and I suggest you do further reading regarding magazines,how the ammo & firearms must be transported and finally check out the federal safe passage provisions of the Firearms Owner Protection Act. Then look up how that act is interpreted by state law enforcement agencies. Taking firearms into CA is, at best, a risky endeavor. Good luck.
RichH
2017 Ram 1500 EcoDiesel
8 Speed Transmission
2010 Dutchmen 24 FB-SL
Curt 10,000# WDH
Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

Edd505
Explorer
Explorer
DownTheAvenue wrote:

All states have different laws, and case law, both at the state and federal level has probably already defined when a motorhome is a vehicle and when it is a residence.

I am retired LE from another state with a very similar law. Read similar law, I also taught Law to new officers. Technically, read the definition of motorhomes /campers in the CA MV law and you'll have a definitive answer. I'll bet it defines both as RESIDENCES. Break into one is BURGLARY.

Done with the issue........
2015 F350 FX4 SRW 6.7 Crew, longbed - 2017 Durango Gold 353RKT
2006 F350 SRW 6.0 crew longbed sold
2000 F250 SRW 7.3 extended longbed airbags sold
2001 Western Star 4900EX sold
Jayco Eagle 30.5BHLT sold, Layton 24.5LT sold