cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Honda CRV.

Pop-Pop_C
Explorer
Explorer
Do I need a brake buddy on a Honda CRV behind a 40' DP?
Thanks.
28 REPLIES 28

willald
Explorer II
Explorer II
moparmaga2 wrote:
$0. That is what I pay insurance premiums for.....Your insurance company represents and defends you..........

Again, if you have sustained actual damages due to my negligence, your insurance company and my insurance company will work out a settlement where you will be made whole.

If you have $$$ in your eyes for a "civil suit", complete with pain and suffering and emotional stress, you are going to have to get your own lawyer and pay upfront. My insurance company will will still represent me for free. This is America and the courts can prevent someone from blowing their own money. Even if you win more than my Liability limit, I don't have millions, so you will still get peanuts + have a boatload of bills.

Again Bumpy, big $$$ Civil Suits are only if you are trying to get money out of someone VERY wealthy. (EG Bill Gates, 1990's OJ Simpson, etc etc) If the person you are suing is not extremely wealthy, you would be remiss to waste $$$$ for the shirt off Grandpa's back.

..Well said, mopar. ๐Ÿ™‚

Will
Will and Cheryl
2021 Newmar Baystar 3014 on F53 (7.3 V8) Chassis ("Brook")
2018 Jeep Wrangler JK ("Wilbur")

moparmaga2
Explorer
Explorer
Bumpyroad wrote:
how much is it going to cost you up front for that lawyer to defend you in a civil suit?
bumpy

$0. That is what I pay insurance premiums for.....Your insurance company represents and defends you.......... That is part of the .....wait for it.....LIABILITY INSURANCE

Again, if you have sustained actual damages due to my negligence, your insurance company and my insurance company will work out a settlement where you will be made whole.

If you have $$$ in your eyes for a "civil suit", complete with pain and suffering and emotional stress and other BS, you are going to have to get your own lawyer and pay upfront. My insurance company will will still represent me for free. This is America and the courts can't prevent someone from blowing their own money. Even if you win more than my Liability limit, I don't have millions, so you will still get peanuts + have a boatload of bills.

Again Bumpy, big $$$ Civil Suits are only if you are trying to get money out of someone VERY wealthy. (EG Bill Gates, 1990's OJ Simpson, etc etc) If the person you are suing is not extremely wealthy, you would be remiss to waste $$$$ for the shirt off Grandpa's back.
2015 Jayco Greyhawk 31DS
2013 Ram 1500 Laramie Hemi
2008 Yamaha FJR Sport Touring Bike in the bed of the truck

rondeb
Explorer
Explorer
You should have a braking system for the CRV. MHO I'm not saying you need a braking system for all Toads (we had a brake buddy for our Mazda Miata but never used it once due to how light it was), but we have a CRV and you will need a braking system for sure.

willald
Explorer II
Explorer II
Bumpyroad wrote:
how much is it going to cost you up front for that lawyer to defend you in a civil suit?
bumpy

..Same amount it will cost you ANY time you are sued because of an accident, regardless whether or not you have a supplemental braking system. ๐Ÿ˜‰

Will
Will and Cheryl

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
bumpy

willald
Explorer II
Explorer II
Bumpyroad wrote:
I think the point is, that if you slam into somebody, your toad doesn't have brakes, your MHs manual says that you should/must have them, and the lawyer in a civil suit will read that section to the jury and you will be hung out to dry. and there is such a thing as contributory negligence. look it up.
so take your chances if you are feeling lucky.
bumpy

Understood, but we could go on all day with possible things that a lawyer COULD possibly use against you, if you are in an accident and hurt somebody. And, we could go on JUST as long with ways that your lawyer could shoot down and refute every one of them.

Bottom line is if you're in an accident thats your fault, someone gets hurt, and you get sued, you're in deep doo-doo regardless. Thats what we have insurance for.

Whether or not one decides to invest in a supplemental braking system should be based on cost vs. just how much added safety is achieved. Obviously several factors enter into that decision as well, but horror stories about what might could possibly happen (but nobody has ever shown one instance of it ever happening in the past)....Really should not enter much into one's decision process.

Will
Will and Cheryl

moparmaga2
Explorer
Explorer
Bumpyroad wrote:
I think the point is, that if you slam into somebody, your toad doesn't have brakes, your MHs manual says that you should/must have them, and the lawyer in a civil suit will read that section to the jury and you will be hung out to dry. and there is such a thing as contributory negligence. look it up.
bumpy

UMMMM, Again this is what you have insurance for... I swear that everyone here tries to play Judge and Jury based on what they see on daytime TV. Your state requires a MINIMUM amount of LIABILITY Insurance. If you are found LIABLE, your insurance company will pay out.

Bumpy....A Civil Suit... Please..You know as well as I do that most people do not have 20K to their name. I guess you could get a 25 million judgement against 75 year old Grandpa. Good Luck collecting on that. Good Luck even finding a lawyer to represent you, unless you have $100k sitting in your checking account.

This is why lawsuits such as this are almost always for the maximum amount of Liability that you have on your insurance. Funny how that works.

Unless you get Lucky and get hit by Bill Gates' Prevost, get these delusions of a get rich quick scheme out of your head. Not going to happen. If you want a get rich quick scheme, try suing Wal Mart or AT&T. Leave Grandpa alone, he will be like sucking blood out of a turnip.
2015 Jayco Greyhawk 31DS
2013 Ram 1500 Laramie Hemi
2008 Yamaha FJR Sport Touring Bike in the bed of the truck

Crazy_Ray
Explorer
Explorer
A KISS answer. YES
RET ARMY 1980,"Tiny" furkid, Class A, 2007 Bounder 35E, Ford V10 w/Steer Safe, 4 6V CROWN,GC235,525W Solar Kyocera, TriStar 45 Controller,Tri-Metric 2020,Yamaha 2400, TOW CRV. Ready Brake. "Living Our Dream" NASCAR #11-18-19-20- LOVE CO,NM,AZ

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
bumpy

willald
Explorer II
Explorer II
Yes, this is always a very volatile subject. One of the reasons being, it frequently results in a lot of misinformation, urban myths, etc. getting spread. Those that know better then feel like they need to speak up.

A previous post here is a prime example of that:

...If you have an accident, realize not having a supplemental braking system is a good excuse for the insurance company to deny your claim.

..This is a very common urban MYTH, that has been proven to be false over and over and over, yet some folks still insist on spreading this myth. Really wish folks would stop propagating this myth.

Your insurance may well raise your rates, or even cancel your policy after paying on a claim, where something like this happens. However, they are NOT going to be able to deny coverage, just because you exceed a manufacturer recommendation like GVWR, GCWR, braking capacity, etc. If that were the case, they could weasel out of paying ANY and EVERY claim in one way or another. Insurance would be worthless. That whole idea is ludicrous, and just needs to die, haha.

Oh, and here's another one:

...Also leaves another opening for a lawsuit because you did NOT do all you could have to be safe..

LOL, using that 'you didn't do all you could have to be safe' logic, leads down a ridiculously slippery slope, and proves nothing.

You COULD have also spent a ton more $$, and upgraded the brakes on your MH, 'to do all you could to be safe'.
You COULD have also just not towed the vehicle at all, drove it separately 'to do all you could to be safe'.
You COULD have also just rented a car at your destination and not brought another vehicle on the road 'to do all you could to be safe'.
You COULD have also just sold the MH, drove a much safer car, stayed in hotels, 'to do all you could to be safe'.
You COULD have also spent $1M on a Prevost bus conversion MH with air brakes, 'to do all you could to be safe'.

(..You see how ridiculous this 'you didn't do all you could have to be safe' argument really is?)

...Anyway, to answer the original, specific question: No, you do not necessarily need a Brake Buddy for your CRV. There are several other brake systems to chose from, some of which are a much better choice. I highly, highly recommend a Readybrake system over Brake Buddy.

As to the more broad question, of whether you need a braking system of some kind with a CRV behind a 40' DP: Check with the laws of the states you'll be towing in, see if they require braking on a towed vehicle. If so, you'd best be adding a brake system. Doubtful you'd get stopped and ticketed for such, but still not a good idea to be ignoring laws like that.

If the laws where you will travel do NOT require such, then its really a personal decision that you have to make, based on how much $$ you want to sink into it, vs just how much increased safety you think you'll get. No doubt you'd be safer and could stop quicker with a braking system added. However, that doesn't necessarily mean you'll be a ticking time bomb on the road just waiting to kill a bus full of nuns without the supplemental braking system either, hahaha. ๐Ÿ™‚ People towed cars with MHs for years and years without issue, long before there ever were toad supplemental braking systems.

Regardless whether you chose to get a braking system or not, you should seriously consider getting some kind of break-away setup. I personally recommend a Readybrake system, with their Readystop breakaway unit. Simple cable-operated system, works great, no electronics to mess with or foul up, nothing to have to put in and take out every time you travel, and costs a LOT less than all the other systems.
Will and Cheryl

lanerd
Explorer II
Explorer II
Check the law for your state and use that for a minimum. Just remember even a 40' DP will stop faster in an emergency situation if the toad has brakes than it will if the toad doesn't have brakes. You be the judge.

Brake Buddy is just one of many different supplemental brake systems out there. Research before you buy.

Good luck

Ron
Ron & Sandie
2013 Tiffin Phaeton 42LH Cummins ISL 400hp
Toad: 2011 GMC Terrain SLT2
Tow Bar: Sterling AT
Toad Brakes: Unified by U.S. Gear
TPMS: Pressure Pro
Member of: GS, FMCA, Allegro

RETIRED!! How sweet it is....

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
check out what your owner's manual for the RV says about towing a toad. if it says that anything over XXXX lbs. should have a braking system, you may not read that section but the lawyer for the people you hit will have read it. and I think there should also be a breakaway system installed.
bumpy

daverich
Explorer
Explorer
Will the DP stop it? Probably. HOWEVER, if you have an accident, realize not having a supplemental braking system is a good excuse for the insurance company to deny your claim. Also leaves another opening for a lawsuit because you did NOT do all you could have to be safe.

I can't even tell my toad is back there but I have a supplemental braking system to protect me from lawyers.

rr2254545
Explorer
Explorer
Let the fun begin, if you did a search on here this is prehaps the most volitale subject ever

If you value your own saftey the answer is yes. Also required by law in some states.
2012 Winnebago Journey 36M Cummins 360
2014 Jeep Cherokee
492 Campgrounds,107K miles driven in our Winnebago motor homes and 2360 nights camping since we retired in July 2009, 41 National Parks