cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Horrible smell on Awning

slarsen
Explorer
Explorer
With three years of camping in a 5th wheel, this is my #1 problem. Stinky mold on my awning. I tried thoroughly cleaning it one fall, but the stink was there the next time I opened it up. And on my first trip this spring, water streamed out of the awning from the heavy rains, which just shows how difficult it is to keep the water out.

Despite my awning's being 3 years old, it looks new because I don't use it much. Keeping it rolled up keeps the stink confined.

So how do I keep the water out? And how do I get rid of the odor so that it'll stay away for awhile?

Any help would surely be appreciated.
8 REPLIES 8

slarsen
Explorer
Explorer
I got my new Trailer Life magazine today, and in it is an ad for a product from awningpro-tech.com. They offer some nice covers that take care of the whole length of the awning and permit travel with it installed. I'm thinking of ordering a set. For my 16ft. awning, it's $100, add $20 for each additional 4 ft, or subtract in the same way.

As they show it, for transporting, it wouldn't cover the end of where the fabric is, so my expectation is that it would let water in. But I can see where a little modification would accommodate the issue. I'm real tempted. I bought some pipe at a lumber yard and was going to rig up something to just cover the ends to keep the water out, but admittedly that wouldn't stop the UV ageing. And it would be a hassle. This would be better. I think. Guess I have some stuff to return to Home Depot.

fivecodys
Explorer
Explorer
Bleach and laundry detergent have worked very well for us.
Also Tilex Mold & Mildew.
Spray it on the awning, roll it up for 30 minutes and then roll out and rinse. Looks like new!

I use two 2 liter soda bottles that I have modified to cover up the ends of the awning to help keep water (rain) from sneaking in on the ends.
It looks like this. Clicky

This has really helped.

Bill
2007 Tundra DC 5.7L V8
SuperGlide 14K
Prodigy Brake Controller
2009 Flagstaff 8528RKSS Ultralight Series
Air Lift 5000

We have enough youth.......... how about a fountain of "smart"? :S

2012Coleman
Explorer
Explorer
slarsen wrote:
I like that idea, Coleman. It isn't just getting rid of the smell, as that is temporary. It's trying to stop water from wicking between the layers and sitting there, supporting a new generation of mold or whatever. I'm going to take measurements and pictures and try to come up with the best idea I can, to keep water away from the ends of the awning.
I've lived in Michigan so I know about condensation issues in the spring. If the rain is getting to it then your going to have trapped water. If you encase it in a plastic bag, you will still have moisture from condensation which means mold/mildew. I'm planning on doing the mod in the link myself as it will sufficiently keep the rain off. The person posting the mod did it for sun exposure. Maybe you can PM him to ask about water ingress. Good luck.
Experience without good judgment is worthless; good judgment without experience is still good judgment!

2018 RAM 3500 Big Horn CTD
2018 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS

slarsen
Explorer
Explorer
I like that idea, Coleman. It isn't just getting rid of the smell, as that is temporary. It's trying to stop water from wicking between the layers and sitting there, supporting a new generation of mold or whatever. I'm going to take measurements and pictures and try to come up with the best idea I can, to keep water away from the ends of the awning.

2012Coleman
Explorer
Explorer
Open it up and give it a good cleaning, then let it dry. Then make a cover for it out of a plastic gutter. See this post

Time to move on the #2 problem.
Experience without good judgment is worthless; good judgment without experience is still good judgment!

2018 RAM 3500 Big Horn CTD
2018 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS

TecheMan
Explorer
Explorer
Not an expert on this matter but if it were mine I would open it up spray it down with a good awning cleaner with mildew cleaner and scented dish washing liquid on Both sides and scrub where I could get to with a hard bristled broom as best I could. Then rinse it out , let it air out on a good sunny day. Make sure it and everything else is totally dry before rolling it up. Then store under a cover and if that option is not available open after each rain on real sunny days even if it means moving the rv to a different spot in the yard to get the sun on it.
1997 24' coleman Sun Ridge Pop-up
1998 F-150 crewcab:E

downtheroad
Explorer
Explorer
The only way I have found to keep it dry is keep it covered. Store your rig inside - like a garage or storage building.

Soak your awning with a mixture of bleach and water in a pump sprayer..then roll it up and let it sit for an hour, unroll and rinse.

There are also commercial awning cleaners available (basically dish washing soap and bleach)

Get the mold and mildew off of it and it won't stink anymore (until next time it gets moldy and mildewy.
"If we couldn't laugh we would all go insane."

Arctic Fox 25Y
GMC Duramax
Blue Ox SwayPro

skipnchar
Explorer
Explorer
Bleach is the gold standard for removing/preventing mildew.
2011 F-150 HD Ecoboost 3.5 V6. 2550 payload, 17,100 GCVWR -
2004 F-150 HD (Traded after 80,000 towing miles)
2007 Rockwood 8314SS 34' travel trailer

US Govt survey shows three out of four people make up 75% of the total population