cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

How big of a window air conditioner will a Honda 2000 run?

noteven
Explorer III
Explorer III
Thinking about using a window a/c unit for cooling an enclosed trailer.

Will a Honda 2000 run a Walmart sourced "6000 btu" unit?

thanks
10 REPLIES 10

noteven
Explorer III
Explorer III
mr_andyj wrote:
Easy, easy. Will that unit cool your trailer is the bigger question. Consider a little bigger unit.

I have a 2200 watt inverter generator that runs a 9200 BTU AC just fine.

This generator ran the Coleman Mach 8 rooftop unit on my last camper fine. It for sure did not "soft start".

The beauty of the Coleman is it was so loud you didn't annoy anyone with the Honda running .... The Coleman drowned it out.

noteven
Explorer III
Explorer III
Lwiddis wrote:
The A/Cโ€™s starting amps?

I haven't bought one yet. As you can see I have no experience with them...

More background - I have an enclosed trailer. It's inner wall lining is attached by real screws not projectile fasteners so the lining can be removed and reinstalled. So I plan to insulate the trailer, install a couple windows etc.

Thanks for the info so far everyone.

mr_andyj
Explorer
Explorer
Easy, easy. Will that unit cool your trailer is the bigger question. Consider a little bigger unit.

I have a 2200 watt inverter generator that runs a 9200 BTU AC just fine.

mobeewan
Explorer
Explorer
A 6000 BTU A/C will normally pull 400 - 500 watts.

KD4UPL
Explorer
Explorer
As long as the window AC has a normal 15A 120v plug it's very likely your Honda 2000 watt will run it.

theoldwizard1
Explorer
Explorer
There are a FEW "window shakers" that use inverter motors. These typically have built in "soft start" capability, meaning they limit the amount of power being drawn as they ramp up to speed over several seconds. They are more expensive but a second bonus is they are much quieter !

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Yes
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

jdc1
Explorer II
Explorer II
Up to about 10,000 btu's without a soft-start capacitor.

Lwiddis
Explorer II
Explorer II
The A/Cโ€™s starting amps?
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

bgum
Explorer
Explorer
Yes