cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

How cold is to cold

prier5
Explorer
Explorer
We have a 2006 keystone couger 32rls and are heading to the Reno area. The temps are ranging from the mid 20s at night to the mid 30s at night. Our rig has an enclosed underbelly but no heat there. I am worried that my tanks and or lines will freeze and break. Any advise or recommendations would be appreciated.
14 REPLIES 14

ryanallie1
Explorer
Explorer
Hi All.

For us anyways, the cold isn't the hardest part of Boon-Docking for us. only the "Depth of the Snow" is the only thing that can stop us going.

These Big Old Motorhomes just were not made for any "Deep-Snow. They pretty ,much have to low of a clearance to get to far off road. But what the heck, you have to lose some of the times, as there are always other days ahead.

I'm an "Old Time, OTR Trucker". And yes we do have chains or our Motorhome. The only thing that ever bothers me, is the other Driver, and how good arte their skils with driving in the snow.

Good Luck. Happy Travels. Dan & Jill & our two Small "YORKIE KIDS", who love to travel as much as we do.
1998-34 ft Rexhall, Rexair SL. 460 EFI. F-53. 7.3 MPG. TST TPMS. HWH Levelers. 5.5G Gen. Convection/Microwave Water Purifier/Water Softner. 2 A/C's. Alarm Systems. Honda EU2000i's W/Kit. Steer-Safe. CR-V W/SMI System. FMCA #F414397 Nam-Vet, 66-67-68&70-71

Litch
Explorer
Explorer
Depending on when you leave to head up to Reno, the snow forecast this week here in the Sierra might be a bigger problem. Forecast is for snow to drop to as low as 3000' on the west side with 12-20" on Donner Summit. Chain controls will surely be up on I-80 but it looks like clearing on Tuesday afternoon with unsettled weather all week.
2006 Chevy HD LBZ Duramax/Allison
2006 Holiday Rambler Savoy 30sks

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
prier5 wrote:
Thanks everyone, I feel much better. We will do as recommended and stuff our outside shower with insulation. At these temps is there a need to keep the hot water tank switched on or is this even a good idea in cold weather.
Remove the outside hose and showerhead.
Leave the water heater on.

ryanallie1
Explorer
Explorer
Hi All.

We have lived in some of the coldest stops in Americia. "Fairbanks Alaska", and "Central Oregon", and "Prineville Oregon.

It all breaks dowe to two things. #1. What kind of RV do you have. #2 And most of all, what have you done to your RV to make it so it can stay out in "Extream Weather Conditions".

There is a an alful lot you can do to any RV to make it much warmer than you think you can.

I lived in Prineville, Oregon, the coldest winter on record. We had a whole month or more of more then -40 to -45 "Below Zero". And the oldie but good Travel Trailer I used, didn't even have a real Furance. But rather one of the very old ones, with a Wall Mounted Radient Type Heaters. That and two 1500 watts Heaters on Mediumn.

I built a wall of the "Big Haw Bales" all the way around the entire RV, a 26 ft'er. I used some wood to hold the bales around the windows and stacked the straw Bales up to the roof line, And four foot High of rolls of R-22 Insulation, and covered with a very large tarp, so nothing could get wet. I also used two 100 watt Light Bulbs under the RV. It was still cold, but I managed to hang in therefor the entire winter. That winter I didn't have a choice.

We still do so serious Winter Time Boon_Docking. And our Motorhome is just a Basic Summer, and Fall and a Spring Motorhome.

Its all n how you fix up your Motorhome. We do just as well in the "Winter Time" as we do in the "Summer Time" After 46+ years as "Travlers" and "RV'ers, and most of all, "BOON-DOCKERS. You can pretty well handle anything. We even can very easlygo past our Motorhomes 30 AMP Service with no problems. We don't even bother to use the Motorhomes Furance either.

We have a Oly Wave #6 Propane Heater, with enough Low Pressure Hose to reach from one end of our Motorhome to the other end. Then we have a MR HEATER, "BUDDY" Propane Heater. Then we have a MR HEATER "BIG BUDDY" Propame Heater. I do keep our Motorhomes Furance in good running condition, for just in case of. The Motorhomes Furance is only a 25,000 BTU Furance. All of our Propane Heaters comes to 2,300 BTU'S

Trust us, we have the time of our lives. Good Luck. Happy Travels. Dan & Jill & our two Small "YORKIE KIDS who love to travel and Boon-Dock as much as we do.
1998-34 ft Rexhall, Rexair SL. 460 EFI. F-53. 7.3 MPG. TST TPMS. HWH Levelers. 5.5G Gen. Convection/Microwave Water Purifier/Water Softner. 2 A/C's. Alarm Systems. Honda EU2000i's W/Kit. Steer-Safe. CR-V W/SMI System. FMCA #F414397 Nam-Vet, 66-67-68&70-71

bigwheelsturnin
Explorer
Explorer
we've been in our Fleetwood MH in so many freezin temps..12ยฐ..for 3-4 days atta time...ice storms...this year...the water lines wrapped...the spigots...covered...drip the faucet at nite..no problems ...so far..wind blowin...makes it colder.
we call it...ridin the gravy train...

Deb_and_Ed_M
Explorer
Explorer
Personally, I would drain the black and gray tanks before nighttime, then add about a half-gallon of antifreeze to each. That should protect the gate valve and (exposed) outside plumbing line. The rest should stay warm enough to not freeze. We had single-digit temps as we came home from FLA in January - we were fully winterized at THAT point, using bottled water.
Ed, Deb, and 2 dogs
Looking for a small Class C!

cochise49
Explorer
Explorer
Stayed in Reno during winter of 08/09. filled fresh tank as needed and put an electric heater in utility compartment. Not sure it was needed. Heated holding tanks require the propane furnace so beware of electric heaters or heat pumps. Had the water pump freeze up briefly but all worked well when it thawed. Got down to 0 on at least one night. Single digits on several. In Sparks marina RV Park now. Looking for low 20s in the coming week. I will unhook and drain hose and go on water pump.
Bev& Keith
2014 Winnebago Adventurer 38Q
2013 Honda CRV, Roadmaster Falcon AT, Invisibrake

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
Water heater.......
Better for it to have hot water in it so you can use the hot water than to have cold water in it.

If you aren't going to use it....then bypass it and drain it so no water is in it.

Personally I'd turn it on cause I like hot water especially when it's cold outside
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

Dog_Folks
Explorer
Explorer
Check the brochure if you can. Our 2006 Keystone Outback has indirect tank heating thorough the main heating ducts.

That is, the main heat duct has a hole in it that directs warm air towards the tanks inside the sealed area below the floor.
Our Rig:
2005 Dodge 3500 - Dually- Cummins
2006 Outback 27 RSDS

We also have with us two rescue dogs. A Chihuahua mix & a Catahoula mix.

"I did not get to this advanced age because I am stupid."

Full time since June 2006

prier5
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks everyone, I feel much better. We will do as recommended and stuff our outside shower with insulation. At these temps is there a need to keep the hot water tank switched on or is this even a good idea in cold weather.

donn0128
Explorer II
Explorer II
Besides burning a lot of propane you should be fine. If you have an outside shower, open the door and stuff some insulation in it, Leave any doors open that access water lines.

Dutch_12078
Explorer II
Explorer II
We've spent many nights in our older coach in temps as low as -4 deg F both in comfort and without any significant pipes freezing.
Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate

Fizz
Explorer
Explorer
We have camped out in temperatures like you describe, no problem at all. Disconect the water line and drain it.
My dealer told me to worry only if the temp drop 10 below freezing for more than three days. Haven't run into any frozen pipes yet.

A lot of people here will strongly disagree. Your choice.
Winter started here last October and it's still here, we know what cold is.

Artum_Snowbird
Explorer
Explorer
I had a look at Reno weather and the next two weeks might have only one or two degrees of freezing. If you are living in it while you are there.. you will be fine.

The most sensitive spots are usually outside showers, and dump valves.
Mike
2012 Winnebago Impulse Silver 26QP
2005 16.6 Double Eagle
2018 Jeep Wrangler JK
previously Snowbird Campers,
Triple E Motorhome and Fifth Wheel