cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

How Do I Seal My Roof?

CMunrock
Explorer
Explorer
I'm being a little lazy by not searching the forums on this one, but I will at the same time as I review responses--I promise!

I noticed some floor moisture on our most recent outing on outing. The area was around the master bed on our 5th wheel, near the head of the bed. We stayed in an area with significant humidity and I suspect the dew water is seeping in where the front cap is attached to the roof (since there shouldn't be any water hoses there). The caulk between the rubber roof material and cap is pretty cracked and it's cracked around the entire rubber slab. Recaulking looks like a job that I could do myself, so can anyone walk me through that process or point me to a good post? THanks in advance.
4 REPLIES 4

Tachdriver
Explorer
Explorer
Well this is a good time to ask, when is it a good time to use this product? I have read in forums but no guidelines as to when to apply. I have a 2009 that has a roof in good to great condition.

garyhaupt
Explorer
Explorer
First, you get a .........................

Gary Haupt
I have a Blog..about stuff, some of which is RV'ing.

http://mrgwh.blogspot.ca/

turbojimmy
Explorer
Explorer
Golden_HVAC wrote:
What model year is your RV? At around 10 years old, it might be better to coat a roof that is in 'good' condition, or fair condition, rather than waiting like I did until it was 14 years old and in such poor condition that all the white stuff washed away when I was cleaning it and getting ready to coat it.

Try this stuff. It is as easy to apply as paint on a wall. A lot thicker, and does not run like paint. It took about 8 gallons to coat my 30' long RV.

http://www.epdmcoatings.com/videos_play.php?vid=25

Good luck,

Fred.

That's what I put on mine. It worked great. Mine had been sitting in a tow yard for about 6 years and had developed leaks all over the place. I cleaned the roof and brushed this stuff on around every seam and protrusion through the roof. It's been a little over a year now and it's still as flexible as the day I brushed it on. I did find a couple of spots that I had missed and had to re-do. Putting the stuff in the freezer slows the curing process so you can dig it out later if need be. The warmer it is while you're working with it, the faster it will cure. Read the label to determine how much time you have to work with it once you add the hardener. I would definitely use this stuff again.

I only used a gallon on my 30-foot motorhome, but again just did seams and protrusions. It would have taken a lot more to roll it over the whole roof.
1984 Allegro M-31 (Dead Metal)

Golden_HVAC
Explorer
Explorer
What model year is your RV? At around 10 years old, it might be better to coat a roof that is in 'good' condition, or fair condition, rather than waiting like I did until it was 14 years old and in such poor condition that all the white stuff washed away when I was cleaning it and getting ready to coat it.

Try this stuff. It is as easy to apply as paint on a wall. A lot thicker, and does not run like paint. It took about 8 gallons to coat my 30' long RV.

http://www.epdmcoatings.com/videos_play.php?vid=25

Good luck,

Fred.
Money can't buy happiness but somehow it's more comfortable to cry in a

Porsche or Country Coach!

If there's a WILL, I want to be in it!

I havn't been everywhere, but it's on my list.

Kangen.com Alkaline water

Escapees.com