cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

How do you secure your bikes while camping?

dee74
Explorer
Explorer
Our family just upgraded from Walmart bikes to new better quality bikes that we will take camping. I am a little concerned about the bikes getting stolen from the campsite, this has happened to people we know. I am looking for ideas to secure our bikes, any ideas are appreciated.
54 REPLIES 54

texfx4
Explorer
Explorer
I had never worried about the bikes walking off when we had WalMart specials. But after I upgraded to Trek, I carried a cable lock with us on the first camping trip. Unloaded the bikes and leaned them against the picnic table while setting up in the dark. Walked out of the camper to see a teenager headed straight for the bikes, he spun around and froze in the shadows, then headed back away the way he came. Bikes were immediately locked to the frame of the trailer and remain that way anytime we aren't riding them now. This was in a very large campground and where our site was he had no reason to be headed to other than to take the bikes.

DarthMuffin
Explorer
Explorer
Cable to the tongue or one of the stabilizer jacks (depending on campground configuration). Use a straight home depot cable and not the curly dedicated bike lock types that are a b*tch to manage.

dee74
Explorer
Explorer
Campfire Time wrote:
I've left all sorts of valuable things out and have never had anything touched. As said by some others, maybe it's where you camp? We bought new bikes last year too, and they weren't cheap, but I still don't worry when we're camping.

I do however use a cable when hauling them in the back of the truck.

Dave H M wrote:

The beauty of not having designer bikes. :W

Designer bikes? :h

No just well made bikes. Huge difference between the fit, finish, and ride quality from the Wal-mart specials. I'm betting your riding consists of short tours around the CG. We ride for hours at a crack.

I agree I buy higher quality bikes because I want years of use. The last low quality bike I bought I spent most of my time repairing things that broke. I switched to a Trek and put ten years of trouble free normal maintenance. I have had a Raleigh for the last seven years with good results and now switched back to a Trek comfort as I am getting older and most riding is on pavement now. None of these bikes are cheap but I get ten plus months a year of use from them.

mlts22
Explorer
Explorer
If at a CG, even a basic lock is good enough -- it keeps the skulkers at bay and the honest people honest.

On the road, if it is one bike, I have a mount on my truck where it goes in, the front wheels goes inside the rear cab, and I then use a heavy duty security chain to ensure that if someone loosens the bike from the mount, it won't go far. For two bikes, I'd do the same thing. That way, if a thief wanted to ride off, they would have to steal the wheels from in the truck as well as break the locks on the outside.

Once I make the jump to a motorhome, there are hitch mounted bike racks (no, not the bumper, since that is asking for the bumper to become de-welded, taking the bikes with it. If I go for an enclosed cargo trailer, that definitely solves the bike security issue as well.

hawkeye-08
Explorer III
Explorer III
I use a long cable and secure bikes and even loop through the handle on the kayak to keep it from just walking off... I picked up a couple of padlocks that use the key from the truck so I don't have to carry extra keys.

Dave_H_M
Explorer
Explorer
Campfire Time wrote:
I've left all sorts of valuable things out and have never had anything touched. As said by some others, maybe it's where you camp? We bought new bikes last year too, and they weren't cheap, but I still don't worry when we're camping.

Dave H M wrote:

No just well made bikes. Huge difference between the fit, finish, and ride quality from the Wal-mart specials. I'm betting your riding consists of short tours around the CG. We ride for hours at a crack.

i am busted, but you did not say up front the purpose of having upscale bikes. I wil stay in my corner now on this one.

colliehauler
Explorer II
Explorer II
cyntdon2010 wrote:
5 years of camping, we have never locked a bike on a camp ground.

call me a Fool but the only time something has been stolen is shrimp out of a cooler..Racoons
I'm more concerned about the store parking lot on the way to a campground. People there can grab and go.

cyntdon2010
Explorer
Explorer
5 years of camping, we have never locked a bike on a camp ground.

call me a Fool but the only time something has been stolen is shrimp out of a cooler..Racoons
2010 lacrosse T.T 318 bhs 34 ft,blue ox-tow bar,2005 FORD F-150 larait super crew,Firestone ready rite-air bags lift kit

BubbaChris
Explorer
Explorer
Ace Hardware had a 3-pack of cable locks that share the same keys. We use them for our generator, loungers, etc. Just looking to slow down the opportunistic/unplanned thief.

The TT's frame up by the tongue seems to work the best for us in most campsites if it is something we'll need more than once during a trip.
2013 Heartland North Trail 22 FBS Caliber Edition
2013 Ford Expedition EL with Tow Package

Shot-N-Az
Explorer
Explorer
I've been trying to get someone to steal mine so I have an excuse to get a new one. No luck yet after three years of leaving it totally unsecured.

colliehauler
Explorer II
Explorer II
Cable and lock to tongue of trailer. I use a BBQ cover (heavy waterproof materials) to cover.

Out of site out of mind.

Campfire_Time
Explorer
Explorer

Dave H M wrote:

Chuck D.
โ€œAdventure is just bad planning.โ€ - Roald Amundsen
2013 Jayco X20E Hybrid
2016 Chevy Silverado Crew Cab Z71 LTZ2
2008 GMC Sierra SLE1 Crew Cab Z71 (traded)

Deb_and_Ed_M
Explorer
Explorer
I also cable-locked the bikes while on the bike rack (looping through the bike frames and catching the hitch safety-chain loop) - figuring if there was some sort of failure with the rack itself, at least the bikes weren't loose to create a vehicle accident behind us. Granted, the bikes would get dragged/destroyed... but I've never had any problems.
Ed, Deb, and 2 dogs
Looking for a small Class C!

dodge_guy
Explorer II
Explorer II
In the 12 years of RV`ing I`ve only ever locked up the bikes once. that was at a questionable campground. otherwise I have never locked them. but when I did I used a long cable and locked them to the A-frame. sometimes I`ll even loop the safety chains through the bikes!
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

Ski_Pro_3
Explorer
Explorer
Not only lock them, as has been suggested here, but cover them too. I use a fitted bed sheet. Yes, you can tell there are bikes under there, but you can't tell if they are the Walmart specials or of higher value.

Recently I got a water resistant cover that was for a quad. It's big enough to put a few bikes under, or just one. Put other stuff under there too, like my genny, BBQ, camping chairs, firewood, etc... It's also elastic all round the edge and has a storage duffle bag to toss it in when traveling. I got it on Cabela's website in their bargain cave for about $15.