cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

How to power a 2-way refer while driving?

MartyG2
Explorer
Explorer
The refer that came with our new travel trailer is a two-way, i.e. propane and 120VAC. No ability to run it on 12VDC. Do I dare run it on propane while traveling? Or does one just keep it shut for the day's drive and hope that things stay cool?
61 REPLIES 61

wwest
Explorer
Explorer
Simple way to overcome THAT problem is to use an inverter/charger in combination to keep the TT battery charged underway.

tenbear
Explorer
Explorer
wwest wrote:
tenbear wrote:
wwest wrote:
Buy a cheap Harbor Freight 400W MSW inverter.

When I had a TT I tried this. After about 4-5 hours the battery was drained to the point that the inverter shut off. After this happened a few times I gave up and have been running on propane ever since.

Well, maybe it wasn't a cheap Harbor Freight inverter.:h

OP's key words....while UNDERWAY....Alternator is supplying JUICE!

This is while I was underway. The alternator didn't supply enough juice to the TT. I didn't make any effort to improve the wiring.
Class C, 2004/5 Four Winds Dutchman Express 28A, Chevy chassis
2010 Subaru Impreza Sedan
Camped in 45 states, 7 Provinces and 1 Territory

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
gas or electric 1

gas or electric 2

gas or electric 3
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

wwest
Explorer
Explorer
GMT830 wrote:
MartyG2 wrote:
I've always thought electric heating elements were inferior to a flame for boiling ammonia. Thanks!

A BTU is a BTU, regardless of source.

Well, yes, and NO....

Heat transfer characteristics must be considered.

Plus "flame" temperatures can never rise as high as electric.

wwest
Explorer
Explorer
tenbear wrote:
wwest wrote:
Buy a cheap Harbor Freight 400W MSW inverter.

When I had a TT I tried this. After about 4-5 hours the battery was drained to the point that the inverter shut off. After this happened a few times I gave up and have been running on propane ever since.

Well, maybe it wasn't a cheap Harbor Freight inverter.:h

OP's key words....while UNDERWAY....Alternator is supplying JUICE!

Hybridhunter
Explorer
Explorer
I've got an idea..... Run it on "auto" let the manufacturer who designed and built it decide what is correct!

Dave_H_M
Explorer
Explorer
richardcoxid wrote:
would you rather have Propane or Ptomaine ?

Now there is the answer. Cool

JJnLilly
Explorer
Explorer
Call me "Cheap" but I turn the refer and propane off when travelling. Why waste propane at nearly $5 a gallon when the modern refrigerator will keep things cold and frozen for hours. We've been on the road as much as 12 hours and not melted and ice cube. Then again it is a matter of preference - you can do it either way - on or off and it will not make much difference...except for the possibility of a propane leak and then......
2007 Ram 2500 QC CTD
2020 Passport GT 2210

RGar974417
Explorer
Explorer
We freeze water in milk bottles and put one in freezer and one in fridge.It keeps things cold for at least 8 hours when under way.We also have a cooler filled with ice for our sandwiches and cold drinks so we don't need to open the fridge door.I would never run propane while under way.If you do,you should always turn it off before refueling.

tenbear
Explorer
Explorer
When you first turn your refer on it is going to take several hours to cool down, whether you use electricity or propane. The little bit longer it may take for electric to start boiling the ammonia is a nit.
Class C, 2004/5 Four Winds Dutchman Express 28A, Chevy chassis
2010 Subaru Impreza Sedan
Camped in 45 states, 7 Provinces and 1 Territory

richardcoxid
Explorer
Explorer
would you rather have Propane or Ptomaine ?
2017 GMC Denali 3500 4x4 Duramax
2019 Outdoor RV (ORV) Timber Ridge 24RKS

MartyG2
Explorer
Explorer
GMT830 wrote:
MartyG2 wrote:
I've always thought electric heating elements were inferior to a flame for boiling ammonia. Thanks!

Yes, of course. But it seems to me a direct flame to the boiling chamber will provide an immediate effect, rather than the electricity-to-heating coil-to-boiler contact that takes a while to warm up.

GMT830
Explorer
Explorer
MartyG2 wrote:

Lena - 02 Yukon XL Denali
TT - Wilderness 29L

kennethwooster
Explorer
Explorer
dealer taught me to run on propane about 11 years ago, and have been ever since. Current fridge runs auto when unhooked and when we plug in it auto switches to shore power. Can be taken off auto and run manually. We love the auto feature.
kenneth wooster- retired farmer. Biblical History Teacher in public HS, and substitute teacher.
wife Diana-adult probation officer, now retired.
31KSLS Full Body paint Cameo
Ford F350 2014 DRW 4X4 King Ranch.
20K B&W Puck mount hitch

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
Mine is a Prosine 2.0 (2,000 watts true sine wave) and the RV is a motor home so there is much better communication between alternator and house batteries.

Same result, about 3 hours to shut down.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times