cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I thought the RV market might be getting soft. I was wrong.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
And don’t understand why. This economy is more confusing and less predictable than ever.

So decided to dump the ole toy hauler. Thought being if someone wants it more than me, should have no issue getting something at a comparably better price this winter and likely more so next year.
All the RV dealers in this part of the country are full or filling up at the wrong time of the year for that.
So even selling at the “wrong time” I posted ours for sale for what I paid 2 years ago thinking wrong season and the above comments I’d be lucky to get that much.
Granted I got a fair deal in the spring of 2021. About $5k less than most comparable used rigs I figured. When RV inventory was nil and the second round of Covid buyers were pushing prices way up.
Took 3 days. Gone for asking price and have a list of folks who just weren’t as quick as the first dude.
Starting to second guess my decision. 7 years old. Very clean but not without a couple days worth of issues or repairs I needed to do to it. Plus it needs tires and a new converter

To say I’m surprised would be accurate.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold
31 REPLIES 31

nickthehunter
Nomad II
Nomad II
time2roll wrote:
...The negative wealth effect of the stock market dropping will only affect the high end...JMHO
You couldn't be more wrong. Many millions of retired people depend upon their 401K for their income, for the rest of their life. The drop in our 401K means we have to make substantial changes in our lifestyle so that we don't outlive our 401K. And I can assure you, we are not "High End", we are just regular folks trying to enjoy our golden years. The drop is scary and very real for us.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
joebedford wrote:
I have a 2011 Voltage TH 3950 that I'm wondering about selling. Too old?

Too old to sell? Not sure I’m following. But generally all price trends follow each other, newer or older.
And if you believe more people are using them as homes, then one would think low income folks would be snapping up cheaper (older) campers

joebedford
Nomad II
Nomad II
I have a 2011 Voltage TH 3950 that I'm wondering about selling. Too old?

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
Grit dog wrote:
time2roll wrote:
I am keeping mine for now. Things may change by February and possibly not in the way you expect.

You think the demand/price may go up? Honest question.
I hope you’re right, as long as it’s not followed by an even steeper decline than many feel will happen.
I am not sure prices today reflect to full effect of inflation. Demand could drop some and prices still rise. I still think RVs are for some people substituting for a rental apartment and I believe rents and evictions will continue to spike for 6 to 18 months. The negative wealth effect of the stock market dropping will only affect the high end.

The entire world is struggling with issues of inflation and economy. Much of this may continue to have an effect in the US also. Very interesting test going on right now of macro economic models. If it is anything like the '70s it could last 7 to 12 years with great prosperity following. But I don't think this is like the '70s.

Really a hard call so I am staying tight right now. No major moves.

JMHO

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
^To your point, I’m gonna put the boat up for sale too this weekend. Wrong time of year, but been considering upgrading anyways and now have friends with a new surf boat so we can mooch back some rides from them for a year if necessary.
With these stupid high prices it’s silly to not cash out unless some extenuating circumstances or extreme emotional attachment.
I’ve had $20k offers for the squarebody we redid as well. How often do you get unsolicited offers for a not rare semi restored vehicle that are for more $ than you have into them? Not often. And I’m not a good enough painter to claim it’s a $10k paint job…lol

PA12DRVR
Explorer
Explorer
PButler96 wrote:
I think you sold at the right time Mr Grit, perhaps even a little late to the dance. The bottom is going to fall out of the RV market in a huge way. How can it not with where inflation is going? Wait until folks look at the next 401K statement they get. This economic fiasco is just getting started. Folks have a chance in November to possibly change the course, I am not optimistic.

It took almost two years after 08 for the numbers to reflect the RV Industry crash then. The RV Industry is very good at burying the bad numbers as long as possible, and have propaganda arms in the form of the RVIA and RVDA that do just that.

Couldn't agree more...Given the direction of inflation, I simply can't see how depreciating assets (i.e. RV's) will continue the upward pricing trajectory. Been very wrong on predictions before (see the above mentioned point on 401(k)), but nevertheless, I believe we're on the crest of the pricing wave for RV's (..and houses, and, and, and...).

..of course, that being said I just received an offer for someone to buy the ol PA-12 for 150% of what it cost to rebuild it 12 years ago...
CRL
My RV is a 1946 PA-12
Back in the GWN

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
PButler96 wrote:
I think you sold at the right time Mr Grit, perhaps even a little late to the dance. The bottom is going to fall out of the RV market in a huge way. How can it not with where inflation is going? Wait until folks look at the next 401K statement they get. This economic fiasco is just getting started. Folks have a chance in November to possibly change the course, I am not optimistic.

It took almost two years after 08 for the numbers to reflect the RV Industry crash then. The RV Industry is very good at burying the bad numbers as long as possible, and have propaganda arms in the form of the RVIA and RVDA that do just that.

I feel the same. And was gonna hang a sign in it a couple months ago after our summer vacation but had another trip planned for last weekend and it got foiled by the wind. 6pack boats and 10’ seas get along about as well as my truck and a 5th wheel!

Ya last time I recall the real bargains on toys were in 09 and 2010 specifically.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
shelbyfv wrote:
Well heck,it was fun having you here. Hope you get a replacement and come back soon.:)

Can’t run me off that easy!
I still have an enclosed trailer and a tent. Lol

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
time2roll wrote:
I am keeping mine for now. Things may change by February and possibly not in the way you expect.

You think the demand/price may go up? Honest question.
I hope you’re right, as long as it’s not followed by an even steeper decline than many feel will happen.

shelbyfv
Explorer
Explorer
Well heck,it was fun having you here. Hope you get a replacement and come back soon.:)

PButler96
Explorer
Explorer

I have a burn barrel in my yard.

NamMedevac_70
Explorer II
Explorer II
It will all end soon. Cheer up

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
MFL wrote:
Yup, too many buyers waiting in line=sold too low!

Converters are not expensive, easy install.

If you'd have aired the tires to sidewall max, they'd still be good, not needing replaced.

Anyway...you'll get another deal on something, when you're ready! A fifth wheel maybe, but may have to lower the dozer. You could just bag the work truck?

Jerry

Yeah man. Kinda think so. But if it was too low, I’d have felt guilty actually turning a profit on a rolling depreciation box…or I got a batter deal than I thought buying it.
It’s all good. A man isn’t defined by the size of his …camper. Lol
Maybe I should start. “Good bye it’s been fun” thread!
(There’s probably a couple folks who would cheer at that… so I’ll stick around. Hahaha)

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
dedmiston wrote:
Aw man. You sold the hauler already? The ink wasn't even dry on your check yet.

Are you going to get a different hauler or go with something else?

Lemme guess... You didn't like the way it towed without a WD hitch and sway control? :B

Time to move up to a fifth wheel. You've got enough truck, right? Or are you holding out for an EV Class A?

Dude you got me. I started losing sleep over tongue weight and had to make a change in my life….lol.
I’m holding out for a Tesla Super C.

But really, no the brodozer won’t get along with 5vers. If I’m goin to flip the axles on anything I got a Jeep that needs that.
Side note, Been trying to sell the wdh I got with it for half price for 2 summers now. It’s still laying in the shop. Offered it to the buyer for $200 as he hit the auto level button on his F350 w airbags and he said “Thanks, I’m good.”
Will get another camper. In the meantime I got less things on my to do list and more space in my driveway. Wife was a little sad, since I made her get by with a truck camper so long, she was in love with the condo on wheels. But by the looks of things, they’ve made a whole bunch more of em since I looked last. It’s not a collectible!