cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Im in myrtle beach.. hurricane help.

lawrosa
Explorer
Explorer
Hi all. Im from nj but living in myrtlr beach in my camper. Im doing this till i get a stick built home..

The hurricane is supposed to hit here. Im not familiar with hurricanes and best I have seen were 50mph winds during hurricane sandy.

So what I need to ask is I know I should pack up but how far inland do I go?

I was thinking heading west to NC and find refuge at Uwharrie
National Forest.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Uwharrie+National+Forest/@35.1166316,-79.9154956,9z/data=!4m5!3m4!...

Does this seem far enough inland?

Maybe kings mountain state park?

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Kings+Mountain+State+Park/@35.1172037,-81.3410596,12z/data=!4m5!3m...
Mike L ... N.J.

2006 Silverado ext cab long bed. 3:42 rear. LM7 5.3 motor. 300 hp 350 ft lbs torgue @ 4000 rpms
2018 coachmen Catalina sbx 261bh
33 REPLIES 33

3_dog_nights
Explorer
Explorer
as I've told my kids many times, the right decision is rarely the fun decision. glad to see you got out.
Bob & Lynn
2 Chihuahua's, Ella, Gracie

was-2013 Open Range 424RLS,06' Chevy 3500, dually, Duramax/Allison

also was - 2015 Winnebago Adventurer 37F, towing 2003 Jeep Wrangler

now - 2021 NoBo 19.5, 2019 Honda Ridgeline RTL (Talk about downsizing!)

lawrosa
Explorer
Explorer
This storm sucks.. takings its sweet as time.. I went to columbia and am going to ride it out here..
Mike L ... N.J.

2006 Silverado ext cab long bed. 3:42 rear. LM7 5.3 motor. 300 hp 350 ft lbs torgue @ 4000 rpms

wannavolunteerF
Explorer
Explorer
lawrosa, lots of COE's and state parks along route from Atlanta to Columbus.. I would consider one of those if you want to go that far.
2015 FR Georgetown 378TS

lawrosa
Explorer
Explorer
Yes thanks all Iโ€™m going to head south west Georgia. Hopefully weโ€™d morning. Instead of going south 95 to my uncles in Florida I think itโ€™s best to go west. I will follow rt 20 our tiwars Atlanta and turn more south when I get beat there. I have a generator and inverter and can charge batts with truck if needed. I donโ€™t need campground and Walmartโ€™s may be fine. Donโ€™t know till I start driving and get out there.
Mike L ... N.J.

down_home
Explorer II
Explorer II
You need to make it to the mountains, westside, of NC or Ga.if the storm hits the coast in Sc, Ga or NC..
I would not wit until they say get.Roads will be full and accomodations RV Parks filling now. Find and make reservations now two hundred miles in, at least.
My crystal ball is a bit cloudy ut extra caution and measures may be rewarded.

CavemanCharlie
Explorer II
Explorer II
Do you have a sick day at work that you can use so that you can get out a day earlier and avoid the rush? If so that would be good.

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
Where are you in Myrtle Beach. Encore has a campground there.
They also have one in Fair Play just 3 miles from GA via I-85

There are also COE parks in the area and some decent county parks
Search reserve america for "South Cove".
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

riven1950
Explorer
Explorer
If you leave now SW appears to be the best direction. You / we will know more by tomorrow PM or Tues am. According to NOAA (right now) tropical force winds will reach the coast Wedn PM. Remember the cone of (un)certainty stretches from Virginia to Georgia right now so track can change.

We can't leave till Wedn.

johnhicks
Explorer
Explorer
Head over past Columbia to Lexington on Monday. Aside from Barnyard, here's another recommendation: http://mrzsrv.com/

There you can wait to see what happens. It's even been forecast to stall at about the state border or even loop around; that would cause incredible flooding far inland.
-jbh-

w4phj
Explorer
Explorer
I would be headed SW NOW.
2021 Winnebago View 24J
2021 Ram pick up
2015 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara
Ham Radio Extra Class Volunteer Examiner
FAA A&P License

1969 Plymouth Road Runner

afidel
Explorer II
Explorer II
My answer is get West of the Appalachians, no worries about wind or flooding that way. If it turns out to be not as strong as they're thinking then you've lost a few days, if it is as strong as they're thinking then pretty much nowhere in the Carolinas is guaranteed to be safe.
2019 Dutchman Kodiak 293RLSL
2015 GMC 1500 Sierra 4x4 5.3 3.42 full bed
Equalizer 10k WDH

Gdetrailer
Explorer III
Explorer III
Padlin wrote:
5 or 6 hours is about 300 miles with a camper.

When it gets a couple days away I;d make reservations somewhere, just find out what the cancellation policy is. Could be a lot of others doing the same thing.

You haven't been around Myrtle Beach..

Most routes out of there on good days can take an hr to go 10 miles, would hate to see what bad weather causes, mass exit will really slow things down. Traffic through a couple of the towns often gets to a crawl during summer.

Seen that the forecasters are saying it most likely will be a Cat4, I would not think a RV is a good place to be in that type of wind nor would I want to be anywhere near this storm in a RV. Rain can be dealt with, cat4 hurricane winds, not so much.

Since the OP is working a job and may not have the luxury to exit early, perhaps they need to see what kind of local shelters will be close to them just in case things goes sideways and they are not able to move fast enough in time.

johnhicks
Explorer
Explorer
Go at least 200 miles west and squat; farther is better. No trees, especially pines. Beware inland flooding.

We went through this last year when it appeared that a hurricane was coming in from the south to the SC/NC border area, ended up in Demopolis, Ala. We went west, the track shifted west, and it even got a bit nautical in Demopolis.

The moral of this story is to get way outta dodge and do it early.
-jbh-

minnow
Explorer
Explorer
mlburst wrote:
We live in Myrtle beach too.

Depending on the forecast, we usually leave three days before the expected landfall.

We usually reserve a site at Barnyard RV Park a few days before we leave - if you don't have to go, you just loose your deposit.

I don't think that's far enough inland to be safe.

Personally from what we are being told as of now, I'd head for western GA or MS.