Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

In a pinch and need to make a fire...?

d3500ram
Explorer III
Explorer III
Happen to just come across this:

Start A Fire With A Pencil
Sold the TC, previous owner of 2 NorthStar pop-ups & 2 Northstar Arrows...still have the truck:

2005 Dodge 3500 SRW, Qcab long bed, NV-6500, diesel, 4WD, Helwig, 9000XL,
Nitto 285/70/17 Terra Grapplers, Honda eu3000Is, custom overload spring perch spacers.
25 REPLIES 25

seaeagle2
Explorer
Explorer
In junior high our shop teacher told us you can weld with a car battery, jumper cables and the carbon rod out of a D cell battery. It's been about 40 years and I've never tried it yet, but you never know.....
2014 F 250 Gasser
2019 Outdoors RV 21RD
"one life, don't blow it", Kona Brewing
"If people concentrated on the really important things in life there'd be a shortage of fishing poles" Doug Larson

navegator
Explorer
Explorer
In California you do not need to start any fires, there are enough idiots that start the whole forest on fire, just remember to bring the Marshmallows.

navegator

Horizon170
Explorer
Explorer
Old-Biscuit wrote:
Neat idea.

As a Boy Scout we used 'D' batteries and Steel Wool

Yep, steel wool and a 9volt battery will do good for backpackers.
Marvin

2010 Coachman Freelander 22TB on a
2008 Sprinter/Freightliner chassis
1995 Geo Tracker (Toad)

AJBert
Explorer
Explorer
Normally, if I need to build a fire I am no where close to my vehicle, let alone jumper cables and a pencil. This is why, when I'm off the beaten path, which is fairly often, I carry two or three ways to start a fire the easy way.

And, yes, a Bic lighter is one of those ways.

Neat out of the parlor trick, though!

dave54
Explorer III
Explorer III
Lynnmor wrote:
He said to connect the red to positive, but he didn't say which was the positive end of the pencil. :?

Depends upon where the pencil was made -- southern or northern hemisphere.

If the car battery is dead you can connect the jumper cables to a currant bush, as long as it is a DC currant bush.
=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=
So many campsites, so little time...
~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~

qtla9111
Nomad
Nomad
I always have a pencil and pen in the glove box not to mention in the trailer. Somebody always wants to write down something. Hard to give someone your cellphone when they don't have their handy but the information on a piece of paper has worked for quite a few centuries.
2005 Dodge Durango Hemi
2008 Funfinder 230DS
Living and Boondocking Mexico Blog

CavemanCharlie
Explorer II
Explorer II
Humm, Because I live in MN I always have Jumper Cables. ( I think it is a law here ) I may try this at the park someday just for fun. I could even hook the cables to my TT batteries.

Lynnmor
Explorer
Explorer
Boon Docker wrote:
Lynnmor wrote:
He said to connect the red to positive, but he didn't say which was the positive end of the pencil. :?

Try it one way, if it don't work just switch the cables around. :B

I was afraid that I might get frost bite if it was connected backwards. :h

Boon_Docker
Explorer II
Explorer II
Lynnmor wrote:

Try it one way, if it don't work just switch the cables around. :B

Lynnmor
Explorer
Explorer

NYCgrrl
Explorer
Explorer
I'll remember this for when the zombie apocalypse comes;).

Boon_Docker
Explorer II
Explorer II
mike-s wrote:
I just keep a few of these around. Works great. They're available at lots of places, and are cheap. They're small, you you can store one almost anywhere. And, one of them will start hundreds, if not thousands, of fires. I'm surprised people here aren't familiar with them.

Wow, thanks for the heads up, never knew they existed.

Tom_Barb
Explorer
Explorer
jfkmk wrote:
gbopp wrote:

Good point. If you're going to carry pencils, it would be easier to carry matches or a lighter.

But, it is a neat idea. You can impress the kids and G/kids. :C

Or, if you're going to remember a pencil, lighter, matches, jumper cables.....you might want to remember to gas up before your trip!:)

Cool video, though!

I love it ๐Ÿ™‚
2000 Newmar mountain aire 4081 DP, ISC/350 Allison 6 speed, Wrangler JL toad.

Cloud_Dancer
Explorer II
Explorer II
I insist on Ticonderoga pencils, the best (that's still available).
Willie & Betty Sue
Miko & Sparky
2003 41 ft Dutch Star Diesel Pusher/Spartan
Floorplan 4010
Blazer toad & Ranger bassboat