cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Industrial Strength Liars

CFerguson
Explorer
Explorer
I gotta tell you guys, i am totally disgusted with the RV industry right now.

We are wanting to buy a new TT for which the last model manufactured was last year (2019). There are some in stock around the country, apparently, but i cant seem to get an answer from anyone that isnt an obvious lie. And not shading the truth, but a boldfaced Lie.

The manufacturer tells me that they dont make them since 2019. The manufacturer's sales rep tells me that there are a bunch of 2020s in stock and here are the dealers around the country that have some on their lots. The internet sites of several additional (but different) dealers have some showing on the website complete with descriptions and serial numbers.

After exhaustive emails with all concerned above, every single piece of info that i have received has proven to be wrong. Every Single Statement. I have dealers telling me they can order me a 2021 model and the factory telling me that isnt possible. None of the factory supplied dealers have Any of my model on the lot nor have they had for some time- didnt i know that 2019 was the end of the model? Some of the dealers that show actual inventory on the website dont actually have what they say they have. Others say they have something the same as what they show, but its a little different. And the rest wont even reply unless i fill out a personal information sheet so that they can harass me in every way possible (email, phone, mailing+home address, etc). All i want to know is Do you have X model on the lot.

Keep it up industry. Times are good now, but the worm will turn again one day.
27 REPLIES 27

rexlion
Explorer
Explorer
CFerguson wrote:
... And the rest wont even reply unless i fill out a personal information sheet so that they can harass me in every way possible (email, phone, mailing+home address, etc). All i want to know is Do you have X model on the lot...
Wow. Is this via internet contact, or are you calling them on the phone? If you're writing to them, try switching to phone calls (and maybe ask for a manager). Every one of those dealerships has a telephone, with which you can explain in no uncertain terms that model xyz7 is the only thing you're interested in.

Maybe I should go into RV sales. Then there would be at least one honest, knowledgeable salesman in the business. ๐Ÿ™‚
Mike G.
Liberty is meaningless where the right to utter one's thoughts and opinions has ceased to exist. That, of all rights, is the dread of tyrants. --Frederick Douglass
photo: Yosemite Valley view from Taft Point

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
Have you gone to a Site like RV Trader and ran a search for your unit?
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

colmbarry
Explorer
Explorer
CFerguson wrote:
Yeah bgum, very true about model years. That adds to the confusion in my post, i realize. I tried to keep my OP under novel length.
The official last model year naming by the manufacturer is 2019. Of course some of those were delivered in 2018 and 2020, i think. I can understand a salesman stretching a bit and calling a 2019 a 2020. But when one tells me he can order me a 2021 to be built to my specs..............well, he wouldnt answer any email after i called him on it.

This guy was with JC Penney selling appliances before he was layed off, now he is a RV salesman. Your doing your homework and now know what you want is not easily available, move on to TT that meets your needs. Less stress that way.

CFerguson
Explorer
Explorer
Yeah bgum, very true about model years. That adds to the confusion in my post, i realize. I tried to keep my OP under novel length.
The official last model year naming by the manufacturer is 2019. Of course some of those were delivered in 2018 and 2020, i think. I can understand a salesman stretching a bit and calling a 2019 a 2020. But when one tells me he can order me a 2021 to be built to my specs..............well, he wouldnt answer any email after i called him on it.

GDS-3950BH
Explorer
Explorer
Depending on the manufacturer, a model year, say a 2021 as an example may have been built as early as late fall of 2019. My brother has a 2017 Flagstaff with a build date of Dec 2015, which he bought in 2016.

Want to make it more confusing? They sometimes will make major changes any time they care to so a 2020 might have 2 or 3 versions, move the dinette to the other side, eliminate a window, change the bathroom layout, etc. That is why they all have the disclaimer that says something to the effect of "During the model year, it may be necessary to make revisions and we reserve the right to make changes without notice, including prices, colors, materials, equipment and specifications as well as the addition of new models and the discontinuance of models."

The entire Industry is mostly a load of shysters, honest folks who are competent are few and far between no matter if it's a manufacturers sales or warranty rep, or a dealer. When you find one you can trust stick with them if you can.

bgum
Explorer
Explorer
It is not unusual for a 2020 model to be built in 2019 and sold in 2019. Wouldn't that fact reduce the number of liars?

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
I will say this my 2005 was actually made, for the most part, in 2004 (At least the chassis was even though it's an O5 Chassis) I remembrer the days of old when Dealers started getting demo models of next year's line about thanksgiving and delivery of customer sold models about mid December. Today it's more like July 4th and mid on the road by August (my chassis was made in August)

But speaking to the subject line "Industrial Strength Liars" and saying no more about it.. I get involved in politics on Facebook.... Salesmen don't even come close ๐Ÿ™‚
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

Powertour
Explorer II
Explorer II
The more things change, the more they stay the same.
2015 Itasca 25b Ford E350 V10

midnightsadie
Explorer II
Explorer II
sounds normal, sales people say anything that sounds good, you should be able to ask the factory where theres a tt of your choice, did this with a speical boat they told me where every boat of my specks was. no problem. made my deal in maryland.

sandblast
Explorer
Explorer
Sounds like somebody is a liar to me

2_many_2
Explorer III
Explorer III
The description "Liar" is okay with me :B

CFerguson
Explorer
Explorer
I guess i'm from an ancient era, Chum. I call em like i see em.
(but i am also smart enough not to give some {spit} lawyer grounds to harass me)

Chum_lee
Explorer
Explorer
In this day and age IMO it is politically incorrect to call someone a liar. IMO it's better to discuss the relative degree of honesty/accuracy they exhibit, even if it's close to zero.

Chum Lee