cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Inflatable cooler

Fizz
Explorer
Explorer
Sometimes you have to wonder what they were thinking.
No way this would last a busy season.

Inflatable cooler

32 REPLIES 32

fj12ryder
Explorer III
Explorer III
All my beer is in bottles so I can't help test the theory. ๐Ÿ™‚ And I don't drink pop.

Okay, there was some almost beer, Coors Lite, in the back fridge left from the Fourth of July. And it floats, like you say, just barely but does float.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

jseyfert3
Explorer
Explorer
JRscooby wrote:
fj12ryder wrote:
drsteve wrote:
Does it float? Could be handy for canoe trips, tubing, and the like.
I think it will float if not very full, but doesn't look like it would if filled.

What are you putting in it? Full of water? Float for sure. Ice will float without the cooler. A can of beer or pop will not float, but I bet the area full of cans would weigh less than the same area full of water, because of the spaces between cans. I bet it would float while full of normal cooler stuff.

My experience is that a normal beer can will float, so presumably a normal soda can will float as well. Certain cans, especially non-normal ones may or may not float, but I don't yet recall a beer in a standard shape 12 oz can that doesn't float. They just barely float, but float they do, nonetheless.

Okay, so after I wrote that first paragraph but before I posted I decided to check soda. We're not big soda drinkers but we had some 7-up. It sank. So I went to get a beer. Apparently we're out. Got a Redds fruit ale instead. It floats. I wonder if it's because the beer/ale foams more while canning so less fits in a can than a can of soda. I will have to get more beer (and soda) to test this further.
Formerly a 2015 Rockwood Mini Lite 2306, burned in a barn fire. Looking at replacements.

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
fj12ryder wrote:
That video proved what I've felt all along, just extra foam, and a better sealing lid, plus that sucker tax that comes when you buy something because of the name.

Marketing at its finest.

that was a cheap POC that he compared to. I don't think there would be that poor a job on the $48 special knockoff. they wouldn't sell as many if they didn't have YETI embossed on them.
bumpy

fj12ryder
Explorer III
Explorer III
That video proved what I've felt all along, just extra foam, and a better sealing lid, plus that sucker tax that comes when you buy something because of the name.

Marketing at its finest.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

drsteve
Explorer
Explorer
Bumpyroad wrote:
speaking of coolers, I have been lusting over a small 26 quart yeti and saw knock offs for about $100. yesterday I saw wallyworld having those reduced to $48. think I will go for it.
bumpy

Speaking of Yetis, have you seen this? Guy runs a Yeti through a big band saw to see just what the insulation difference is.

Yeti Sawed in Half
2006 Silverado 1500HD Crew Cab 2WD 6.0L 3.73 8600 GVWR
2018 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 223RBS
1991 Palomino Filly PUP

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
speaking of coolers, I have been lusting over a small 26 quart yeti and saw knock offs for about $100. yesterday I saw wallyworld having those reduced to $48. think I will go for it.
bumpy

JRscooby
Explorer II
Explorer II
CavemanCharlie wrote:
How well does it keep things cold ???

Air space is a insulator, put a air mattresses on cold ground, it helps, but not as well as a foam pad.
Back in the early '70s I could honk a signal as I passed the roadhouse, pick up another load. Buy the time I got back there would be a 6-pack and a pint in a paper sack half full of ice sitting on the bar, just run in, lay the money down. Water might get on the truck floor, but the beer would be cold, until I finished it.

CavemanCharlie
Explorer II
Explorer II
How well does it keep things cold ???

fj12ryder
Explorer III
Explorer III
It's not a completely new idea, there have been collapsible coolers around for a long time. I've had a couple, and I would imagine this new one has the same shortcomings as the old ones: poor insulating ability. I really can't see that this one brings anything new to the party, except for maybe the fact it floats.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

JAC1982
Explorer
Explorer
I think it's a nice idea for someone with limited storage space (not just RVers). I've lived in some pretty small apartments and no way would I have had the storage space to store a cooler that I'd only use a few times a year. Or, could be nice for the folks who make a day trek to Costco a few hours away... put the cold food in there for the drive home, and then deflate it and store in your trunk.
2020 Keystone Montana High Country 294RL
2017 Ford F350 DRW King Ranch
2021 Ford F350 SRW Lariat Tremor

fj12ryder
Explorer III
Explorer III
JRscooby wrote:
I bet could figure out if it would float; Does it say how many cans it will hold? Weight per can? Now how big is the outside of cooler is, how much would the water in a box that size weigh? If more than the cans, it will float
Really, does it matter? It doesn't even exist yet, if ever. Might as well figure out how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

JRscooby
Explorer II
Explorer II
I bet could figure out if it would float; Does it say how many cans it will hold? Weight per can? Now how big is the outside of cooler is, how much would the water in a box that size weigh? If more than the cans, it will float

fj12ryder
Explorer III
Explorer III
Maybe if it actually goes into production we'll find out. I, for one, don't intend to hold my breath.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

Bobbo
Explorer II
Explorer II
Don't forget that the air cells keeping it inflated are buoyant, as is the empty space in the cooler between the cans. I bet it would float, but be low in the water when full.
Bobbo and Lin
2017 F-150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab w/Max Tow Package 3.5l EcoBoost V6
2017 Airstream Flying Cloud 23FB