cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Inflatable Kayak questions

pasusan
Explorer
Explorer
We are thinking of getting an inflatable kayak to take with us while traveling. We have a regular hard canoe, but aren't happy with the options to bring it with us (adding a rack to the top of the TV). So, I was thinking an inflatable that we could stow in the back of the truck.

What do you do to dry it before packing it up? Does it take a long time? Is it sort of like a pop up trailer where you can pack it up wet, then get it out to dry later?

Thanks for any insight...

Susan & Ben [2004 Roadtrek 170]
href="https://sites.google.com/view/pasusan-trips/home" target="_blank">Trip Pics
33 REPLIES 33

goducks10
Explorer
Explorer
JMO but I wouldn't own an inflatable kayak. I think they have there place but unless you never want to beach it then you'll constantly be worrying about punctures. We have a couple el cheapos from Dicks sporting goods. We can beat the crud out of them an not worry about leaks. We can run right up on the shore and not worry about a puncture. It takes way less time loading and unloading them off the truck than pumping up and deflating and repacking a couple inflatables.
We actually bought a couple from REI. They were the Advanced Elements model. We inflated one up at home and after further inspection an pondering we decided that @$799.00 for one that it was way cheaper to go with two $300.00 Dicks sporting goods kayaks. Took them back for a refund.
After 2 seasons with them we are barely satisfied but that's only because we new going in that for $300.00 you're not getting anything special in a kayak.
At our annual family this year all the grandkids played with them. We didn't have to worry about them puncturing the kayaks as we would with inflatables.
I think inflatables have their place no doubt, but as far as durability they can't compare to a hard plastic kayak.

The money we saved on the el cheapos we bought a Thule roof rack for the truck. I only need one because I have a DIY headache rack that supports the other end of the kayak.

Artum_Snowbird
Explorer
Explorer
We have this model Advanced Elements 1007 and really like it.

I use a battery powered air mattress inflater to get most of the air in, and then have to use the more high powered manual pump to harden it up. I also have converted the wheels and frame from an old fertilizer spreader by removing the bucket and gears, and we tie the kayak onto that and with only a little weight on the bow, we pull it to the lake, then strap the carrying framework onto the back while we paddle.

So, yes, we like to dry it out. Our model comes apart into floor, tubes, and outer canvas. It does take some time to dry it out, but it's so fun to paddle about on nice days. We usually spread the parts over a picnic table or even a rope between trees, then re-assemble it before folding it up. If we stay for a few days it just slips underneath the rig on a 9 by 12 tarp diagonally.
Mike
2012 Winnebago Impulse Silver 26QP
2005 16.6 Double Eagle
2018 Jeep Wrangler JK
previously Snowbird Campers,
Triple E Motorhome and Fifth Wheel

Shearwater
Explorer
Explorer
Here is a source for info on folding and inflatable canoes and kayaks in case you haven't seen it already.

http://www.paddling.net/

We have an Innova inflatable kayak and it is a pretty reasonable little boat. We generally just dry it off with a towel - that seems to be adequate.

Manual air pumps are slowwwww. We use an electric and then get final pressure with the manual foot pump. Some models require pretty high pressures (more than 5 lbs pressure). This gives you a more rigid craft, but must be harder to pump up.

Flat-bottomed boats are almost impossible to steer in a wind. If the boat doesn't have rounded or shallow V-shaped hull, then a rudder or skeg is necessary.

Kayaks can pick up a lot of water from the paddles. It is nice to have raised seats or to add seats to keep from having to sit in a puddle.

A fully inflated boat can over-pressurize and even pop in a hot sun. It's a good idea to depressurize when you are not using it.
Advanced RV Sprinter

prichardson
Explorer
Explorer
I have a two person one from West Marine that we have used for years. Folds up to suitcase size. Depending on the climate; it takes a couple to several hours to completely dry the fabric portions. Wiping the inside with a towel speeds things up. If I anticipate using again in a day or so and it is still damp I will go ahead and fold it up and stow it.