cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Information Discussion for Gate Guards

mdbass
Explorer
Explorer
Thought I'd start a new topic for Gate Guards to use for comments. Like the moderator suggested-keep technical stuff, recipes, mechanical, etc. where they belong. Lets hear from everyone sucking down that caliche dust.
Mark Bass
1,262 REPLIES 1,262

Blondie_Girl
Explorer
Explorer
Don/Shar, love the picture of your "visitor". Now that would be a wonderful sight to see! All we have seen are some cows, coyotes, a jackrabbit and the farm dogs from down the road.

Blondie_Girl
Explorer
Explorer
Is GGS putting people on the Marathon gates now? Does anyone know where the Marathon gates are located? The last I heard was that Marathon was still in the process of obtaining official possession of the leases, but that was a week or so ago. It sounds like GGS has a lot of people wanting jobs. At least the Marathon gates will put some of them to work.

SlickWillie
Explorer
Explorer
The Texan wrote:
SlickWillie wrote:
Blondie Girl wrote:
Yesterday there were 4 at the Whisett yard waiting for gates, but I heard there are Pioneer gates available. From what I hear Pioneer will occasionally do drug, alcohol, firearms searches and this includes the Gate Guard's RV...

Seems such searches will only add to the fire with the law suit GG, Inc is involved in. My 2 cents worth, but these jobs being "contract employment" has a limited lifespan.
I guess I don't understand what one has to do with the other....ANY company has the right to test employees or sub contractors and to set the rules for conduct on their property.

I was not arguing the fact they request to search your RV, although I know your RV is considered your home in TX. IIRC, the DOL is saying by being required to be on the gate as the guards are, they are employees, not contractors. JMHO, but requiring one to submit to a search of their home, will only support the DOL's position farther.
Will
2013 Chevy CC D/A 3500 4X4
2012 Rushmore 38CK

Don_Shar
Explorer
Explorer
I am jealous...we haven't seen a snake yet.
Don / Sharon Smith
8th year fulltiming
1 high school sweetheart bride of 52 yrs. Sharon
1 long haired mini dauchound...Jake
1997 Beaver Patriot DP
2004 Jeep Rubicon
http://s168.photobucket.com/albums/u189/smithster_photos/

The_Texan
Explorer
Explorer
Our only visitors at this gate, so far, are coyotes and snakes. The rancher sprayed his pastures beside us 2 days ago and the snakes are on the move....LOL.

Bob & Betsy - USN Aviation Ret'd '78 & LEO Ret'd '03 & "Oath Keeper Forever"

2005 HR Endeavor 40PRQ, '11 Silverado LT, Ex Cab 6.2L NHT 4x4, w/2017 Rzr 4-900 riding in 16+' enclosed trailer in back.
Where the wheels are stopped today

Don_Shar
Explorer
Explorer
We are on a gate for Swift Energy by Artesia Wells about 3 mile east of I-35. Just thought I would post a picture of our latest visitor.

Don / Sharon Smith
8th year fulltiming
1997 Beaver Patriot DP
2004 Jeep Rubicon

The_Texan
Explorer
Explorer
SlickWillie wrote:
Blondie Girl wrote:
Yesterday there were 4 at the Whisett yard waiting for gates, but I heard there are Pioneer gates available. From what I hear Pioneer will occasionally do drug, alcohol, firearms searches and this includes the Gate Guard's RV...

Seems such searches will only add to the fire with the law suit GG, Inc is involved in. My 2 cents worth, but these jobs being "contract employment" has a limited lifespan.
I guess I don't understand what one has to do with the other....ANY company has the right to test employees or sub contractors and to set the rules for conduct on their property.

2005 HR Endeavor 40PRQ, '11 Silverado LT, Ex Cab 6.2L NHT 4x4, w/2017 Rzr 4-900 riding in 16+' enclosed trailer in back.

SlickWillie
Explorer
Explorer
Blondie Girl wrote:

Will
2013 Chevy CC D/A 3500 4X4
2012 Rushmore 38CK

The_Texan
Explorer
Explorer
gktsuda1956 wrote:
Please enlighten me: Gate Guards?? What are you guarding?? Is this like Workamping??
PM sent.

Not applicable
Please enlighten me: Gate Guards?? What are you guarding?? Is this like Workamping??
Glenn
Retired Navy Saturation Diver
2011 230RKS Wind River - Outdoors RV
2011 F-350 Crew Cab 6.7L Diesel Short Box
Longview, WA

mdbass
Explorer
Explorer
wingerphil wrote:
Will arrive at the Whitsett Tx GGS yard tomorrow and hope to get a gate by the first of the week (if not before). We are rookies and looking forward to the experience. We have been following several blogs and have asked for and received help from some of you. Thanks!

Feel free to send me a PM if you have questions.
Mark Bass

Don_Shar
Explorer
Explorer
We got a little wind, we got a lot of rain......2 truck loads every day. Swift does a really good job taking care of us. They sent a crew to cut weeds and bushes around our site down, not that they were close, George said he wanted us to feel comfortable. This is a hunting ranch and we need to keep the gate closed unless we are sitting right there. We have seen Havalina, a beautiful 10 point buck, several does, roadrunner everywhere, and about a mile back I saw a big couger. His tail alone had to be 6' long.
Don / Sharon Smith
8th year fulltiming
1997 Beaver Patriot DP
2004 Jeep Rubicon

The_Texan
Explorer
Explorer
We didn't get any rain, just wind and dust. The water truck was here at the crack of dawn today and all is nice, right now.

Two options for an inside bell. We bought a remote electronic driveway monitor at Harbor freight for under $15 on sale, but we also slid the bell hose under the bottom slide out seal and have it inside the RV.

There are 6 Marathon gates available, but yes, Pioneer will come to your RV with their K-9 and ask to search the RV. Your option, but a no sends you packing. Talked to Butch Brazell, a retired Texas Ranger and one of their security officers this week. He tells me that they are so strict about the no firearms policy, that they don't even allow their own in house security folks carry on site. ALL personnel on site are subject to drug & alcohol screening and that has already happened once this week. A van showed up, went to the office, picked up 10 workers and transported them to Corpus Christi for testing. Marathon will have 5 more gates available the end of Nov and 2 every month after that. These are all new gates, not replacements.

EDIT***
Changed company gates available to Marathon, from Pioneer.
EDIT***

Blondie_Girl
Explorer
Explorer

mdbass
Explorer
Explorer
We had some pipeline workers who watered occasionally; but they're gone now. Thank goodness we got rain last nite. It's chilly and overcast here this a.m. We are having to work two 12 hour shifts because we get an occasional vehicle at nite. We haven't figured out how to hear the bell when we're sleepimg. Or we're just afraid we'll miss it.
BTW-anyone able to get the spell check to work here?
Mark Bass