cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Information Discussion for Gate Guards

mdbass
Explorer
Explorer
Thought I'd start a new topic for Gate Guards to use for comments. Like the moderator suggested-keep technical stuff, recipes, mechanical, etc. where they belong. Lets hear from everyone sucking down that caliche dust.
Mark Bass
1,262 REPLIES 1,262

GGup
Explorer
Explorer
SlickWillie wrote:
You know that Gov. Perry just signed in a new law where you can have a weapon in your vehicle in a company parking lot if you have a concealed carry permit. I'm thinkin' that should trump any company policy.

I was reading this in the NRA Rifleman Issue and sort of think you might have the right idea. Several States passed this but only the general idea was covered and not the law. So probably need to read the law. I am not sure with the Castle Law that one would have to have the CC License. Someone will find out on this I am sure.
RUBY 2, 04' Born Free 24RB
37 CKSLS Cameo by Carriage
'08 Ford F450 Crew Cab 4x4 Dually 6.4Diesel
4.88 Gears AT, SCTLivewire
B&W Companion hitch
I'm a BSG'er!! Only 3 RULES:
Have a "B", Had a "B", or Want a "B"!!

Ajones42
Explorer
Explorer
I guess I am about the only one up here in the Barnett Shale and we are WAY up --right on the Red River.

I have mucho info re: gate guarding and 'industrial boondocking' on my blog in my signature.

Also just started an online forum with an emphasis on the gate guarding lifestyle at this link:

Gate Guard Online Forum
Fulltiming in a 2010 Puma 30RKSS
1993 Dolphin 32D -> Destroyed by hail April 2013
Gate Guards in the South Texas Pucker Brush
My Old RV
Oil Field Gate Guard Forum

llallerstedt
Explorer
Explorer
Who does your friend next to you work for? I would be with my husband, but he is unable to work. I would love a chance to work as a "single", but of course, have him with me.
Linda

Don_Shar
Explorer
Explorer
gktsuda1956 wrote:
Thanks all for the responses. I've been following several blogs. Thanks all that take the time to do that, also. It's very enjoyable reading. I'm just kicking this around now. I run a business that is very successful but I'm feeling restless. I haven't run this across the DW yet, but I don't think she would be coming along. She'd stay back here and hold down the fort. I could either sell the business or take a hiatus for a year or so. I'm thinking of being down there next summer. But then again it will so he can go to town.depend on what I find out about gate guarding by yourself.

We are 12 miles south of Cotulla and the gentleman next gate over is by himself. He don't check anybody in after 7 PM. Has a person that comes out to relieve him so he can go to town.
Don / Sharon Smith
8th year fulltiming
1 high school sweetheart bride of 52 yrs. Sharon
1 long haired mini dauchound...Jake
1997 Beaver Patriot DP
2004 Jeep Rubicon
http://s168.photobucket.com/albums/u189/smithster_photos/

Not applicable
Thanks all for the responses. I've been following several blogs. Thanks all that take the time to do that, also. It's very enjoyable reading. I'm just kicking this around now. I run a business that is very successful but I'm feeling restless. I haven't run this across the DW yet, but I don't think she would be coming along. She'd stay back here and hold down the fort. I could either sell the business or take a hiatus for a year or so. I'm thinking of being down there next summer. But then again it will depend on what I find out about gate guarding by yourself.
Glenn
Retired Navy Saturation Diver
2011 230RKS Wind River - Outdoors RV
2011 F-350 Crew Cab 6.7L Diesel Short Box
Longview, WA

wingerphil
Explorer
Explorer
Blondie Girl wrote:
You definitely need satellite for TV. It's your choice on Dish or Direct TV.
We have AT&T for internet..used to have HughesNet, it was too much hassle.
Landowners usually do not want fires on their property..the wind constantly blows, so the fire danger is high.
Mud boots...Yes!!
Raincoats...Yes!!
Mosquitoes are a problem in some areas.
Mousetraps are needed..you will be most usually sitting in a pasture.
I've never heard of two RV's on a gate..you would only be making 1/2 the daily rate. Some companies will only hire couples for gate guards. Some gates are very busy 24/7 and one person could not handle it properly.

Agree with all of the above and might add it's best to have some sort of cell phone booster with external antenna as well. We have a Wilson unit we purchased at Best Buy. We are 13 miles from Cotulla right now and only have 1 bar of AT&T w/o the booster, 4-5 with.
We have a Virgin Mobile pay as you go internet (MiFi) and is working well here with the booster. Virgin is owned by Sprint and uses their towers.

Antenna is mounted on a pole to the ladder of the rig. Was a little worried about it in the winds we got last night but came through just fine.
Phil
Our Blog
2002 Winnebago Journey
2007 Dodge Dakota "Toad"
2010 Harley Davidson Ultra Classic

Blondie_Girl
Explorer
Explorer
gktsuda1956 wrote:
With all this corporate knowledge/experience, what advice/recommendations do you have for someone getting ready to join the gate guard ranks?

What is the standard equipage you should try to have when arriving?
Satellite dish (direct/dish)?
Cell phone internet card service? Hughes satellite?
Fire pit? Allowed? Not allowed??
Tiki torches? Allowed? Not allowed??
Bug spary? Mosquito repellant??
Rubber mud boots??
Rain jackets?
Mosquito/fly netting??

Do they ever put 2 RV's together if single people?

You definitely need satellite for TV. It's your choice on Dish or Direct TV.
We have AT&T for internet..used to have HughesNet, it was too much hassle.
Landowners usually do not want fires on their property..the wind constantly blows, so the fire danger is high.
Mud boots...Yes!!
Raincoats...Yes!!
Mosquitoes are a problem in some areas.
Mousetraps are needed..you will be most usually sitting in a pasture.
I've never heard of two RV's on a gate..you would only be making 1/2 the daily rate. Some companies will only hire couples for gate guards. Some gates are very busy 24/7 and one person could not handle it properly.

GGup
Explorer
Explorer
What Internet service is available around Big Well? I am wondering if Hughes Net would do an install and if anyone has a portable Hughes net service? I see in the RV Park that a person has Direcnet dish on a tripod. We will be somewhere out of Big Wells next week.
RUBY 2, 04' Born Free 24RB
37 CKSLS Cameo by Carriage
'08 Ford F450 Crew Cab 4x4 Dually 6.4Diesel
4.88 Gears AT, SCTLivewire
B&W Companion hitch
I'm a BSG'er!! Only 3 RULES:
Have a "B", Had a "B", or Want a "B"!!

Not applicable
With all this corporate knowledge/experience, what advice/recommendations do you have for someone getting ready to join the gate guard ranks?

What is the standard equipage you should try to have when arriving?
Satellite dish (direct/dish)?
Cell phone internet card service? Hughes satellite?
Fire pit? Allowed? Not allowed??
Tiki torches? Allowed? Not allowed??
Bug spary? Mosquito repellant??
Rubber mud boots??
Rain jackets?
Mosquito/fly netting??

Do they ever put 2 RV's together if single people?
Glenn
Retired Navy Saturation Diver
2011 230RKS Wind River - Outdoors RV
2011 F-350 Crew Cab 6.7L Diesel Short Box
Longview, WA

mdbass
Explorer
Explorer
Anybody near Gillett or Nixon? We'll do the swap thing. Send a p.m. BTW I know some of the Marathon Gates are near Karnes City-not a bad gig-Wally World is right around the corner.
Mark Bass

The_Texan
Explorer
Explorer
GGup wrote:
Maybe we can meet for lunch sometime in one of the towns. Some of us did this last Spring at McDonalds just so we knew each other. Might help that when one of us needs a spell or break and someone is "resting' waiting for a gate they can spell each other.
Anyone that is within 30-45 minutes of us, just south of Three Rivers, that wants to swap a couple of hours, so you can go out to eat together, let us know, we'll be more than happy to help. We did that last year a couple of times and it was great.

Bob & Betsy - USN Aviation Ret'd '78 & LEO Ret'd '03 & "Oath Keeper Forever"

2005 HR Endeavor 40PRQ, '11 Silverado LT, Ex Cab 6.2L NHT 4x4, w/2017 Rzr 4-900 riding in 16+' enclosed trailer in back.
Where the wheels are stopped today

dgood
Explorer
Explorer
We went to a Marathon site today by Karnes City Nothing going on yet

The_Texan
Explorer
Explorer
SlickWillie wrote:
I still think searching your RV falls into an illegal search tho....heck, the Border Patrol doesn't even do that.
I guess you have never watched the Border Patrol do a search and then demolish the vehicle with a sawzall? The wife and I have just last spring on 281 south of us here and thought it was funny. Yes, the Border Patrol have the authority to search the interior of any vehicle, with out a warrant, within 300 miles of the border, since 9/11. Prior to that, they were restricted to 50 miles from the border.

Bob & Betsy - USN Aviation Ret'd '78 & LEO Ret'd '03 & "Oath Keeper Forever"

2005 HR Endeavor 40PRQ, '11 Silverado LT, Ex Cab 6.2L NHT 4x4, w/2017 Rzr 4-900 riding in 16+' enclosed trailer in back.
Where the wheels are stopped today

SlickWillie
Explorer
Explorer
The Texan wrote:
SlickWillie wrote:
GGup wrote:
SlickWillie wrote:
I have a friend that went to GG in Corpus a few days ago. He was told there are about 30 ahead of him. Also, there has been a change in getting whatever security clearance one needs for the job.

What are the changes? By the State or GG?

We are waiting but hope it will be late next week before we get a gate. Should be soon, I think.

I do not see the tie in of employee vs. contract for the search by the leasing company!

I'll have to talk to the neighbor again; don't want to provide the wrong info. He told me something in the testing has changed.

You may be correct in the searches not effecting the employment status. However, I just can't see illegal searches holding up here in Texas, with the gun laws we have. I'd almost call BS on the searches. [COLOR=]Would like to hear from someone who has actually had their RV searched.
The change he made reference to was probably when they stopped the online testing this year and went back to a paper trail.

As far as the search holding up, what you forget is this is contract work and part of their contract says, "no weapons, drugs or alcohol" allowed on the work site. As I said, you are allowed to refuse the search, but you will be replaced within a couple of hours, IAW the contract. Yes, we have had several searched and in a couple of cases, they were removed from the gate within hours. You are made aware of these rules prior to going with that company, so there is NO surprise. I have a national carry permit, supposedly valid in all 50 states, but the policy of company you work for, trumps most scenarios when it comes to being armed on company property, even here in Texas.

You know that Gov. Perry just signed in a new law where you can have a weapon in your vehicle in a company parking lot if you have a concealed carry permit. I'm thinkin' that should trump any company policy. Oh well, I'm not gonna do the gate guard thing, so I'm not gonna worry about it. I still think searching your RV falls into an illegal search tho....heck, the Border Patrol doesn't even do that.
Will
2013 Chevy CC D/A 3500 4X4
2012 Rushmore 38CK

SlickWillie
Explorer
Explorer
gktsuda1956 wrote:
But from what I understand, this part of the country, south Texas, is not heavens gate. Hot, hot, hot, HOT summers. Hell, I hear, 80's in the winter. When the rain comes, the mud clings to your feet and by the time you get back to your rig, you're walking on 6" of mud clinging to the boots. I'm not sure $125/day sounds fair. Seems $200/day is more appropriate. Maybe all the RV'ers need to get together and stand together for higher pay. I mean, we're talking the OIL INDUSTRY$$$$$$$. You know what kind of money they pay those roughnecks on the rigs? Granted they are doing a more laborous/dangerous job, but still, the money is there to throw around. Gate guards should see some of it also.

Ain't gonna happen...folks are standin' in line for those jobs.
Will
2013 Chevy CC D/A 3500 4X4
2012 Rushmore 38CK