cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Information Discussion for Gate Guards

mdbass
Explorer
Explorer
Thought I'd start a new topic for Gate Guards to use for comments. Like the moderator suggested-keep technical stuff, recipes, mechanical, etc. where they belong. Lets hear from everyone sucking down that caliche dust.
Mark Bass
1,262 REPLIES 1,262

mdbass
Explorer
Explorer
We smoked fish today in our Masterbuilt smoker. Wow it was good! The smoker was recommended by Andy (www.myoldrv.com)and we are very happy with it. Gate guarding is perfect for experimenting with a smoker.
Mark Bass

john_and_terry
Explorer
Explorer
Texasauction48 wrote:
Well looks like we are going to have to come off our gate early, wife nearly did a header off the steps and now her neck is hurting. (disc deterioration) Gate is with Hunt and Nabors drilling, good people. Gate has to be watched or closed. Job should be here for another month.. don't know if anyone is waiting or has something ending and needing a new gate. Calling Jamie Monday morning so if anyone is interested drop me a PM. Gate is outside Poth, tx.

Sorry to hear about her mishap! Hope all heals well!!
Full Timing In Our 1996 Winnebago Brave (P30/454)
...Check Out Our Gate Guarding Blog HERE!
TOAD - 2010 Nissan Cube
With 2 Fairly Well Behaved Diggities
Venus And Midnight

Don_Shar
Explorer
Explorer
Well very quiet here this morning, I went to Laredo to do a little shopping. On the way around to the WalMart I saw this Osprey. Beautiful bird.
Don / Sharon Smith
8th year fulltiming
1 high school sweetheart bride of 52 yrs. Sharon
1 long haired mini dauchound...Jake
1997 Beaver Patriot DP
2004 Jeep Rubicon
http://s168.photobucket.com/albums/u189/smithster_photos/

Texasauction48
Explorer
Explorer
Well looks like we are going to have to come off our gate early, wife nearly did a header off the steps and now her neck is hurting. (disc deterioration) Gate is with Hunt and Nabors drilling, good people. Gate has to be watched or closed. Job should be here for another month.. don't know if anyone is waiting or has something ending and needing a new gate. Calling Jamie Monday morning so if anyone is interested drop me a PM. Gate is outside Poth, tx.
2003 Teton Laramie 36 ft
Mor Ryde IRE Installed by Teton
KVH TracVision R4SL
Mor Ryde Wet Bolt System
Arctic Package
Chevy Silverado Crew Cab Dually, Duramax and allison 6 speed

Don_Shar
Explorer
Explorer
Wish we could get a gate like that, not been so lucky. We are on a County Road, not inside the property, 150 + per day, one rig, one frack, and rework rigs. Dust constantly in our face and trailer, it has been difficult to get them to water down. Our prior gate was very busy as well.

Anytime we got to getting dust pretty bad we ask the company man and he would get the road watered. One time they watered the road every other day for 3 weeks. Talk to your company man. Swift is real good about taking care of the gate guards.
Don / Sharon Smith
8th year fulltiming
1997 Beaver Patriot DP
2004 Jeep Rubicon

mimi55
Explorer
Explorer
Is anyone working for Loma? If so, what is your opinion of the organization.

mimi55
Explorer
Explorer
"I had a friend from back home e-mail me and asked what gate guarding was like. I told him it is not for everyone but we were really enjoying it. We set at a gate (the same one since October) and write down name, company, license, time in and time out. We average about 30 trucks a day starting abot 5:30 AM and ending about 6 PM. may have one or two straglers around midnite(depends if anybody goes out to drink) We get to meet a lot of new people, I can not count the new friends I have made. I have about 35 caps given to me by venders, coffee, cookies, bag of oranges, pop, water(course the company man gives us all the fresh water we need)all in all tyhe life of a gate guard is very had and strenous"

Wish we could get a gate like that, not been so lucky. We are on a County Road, not inside the property, 150 + per day, one rig, one frack, and rework rigs. Dust constantly in our face and trailer, it has been difficult to get them to water down. Our prior gate was very busy as well.

Don_Shar
Explorer
Explorer
kcstepp1992 wrote:
Hey Don, what are the black things at the base of your pop up there in that picture? Are they some sort of an anchor?

Yes they are weights made to fit over the legs. They weigh 5 lbs each. I got them at Dick's Sporting Goods, but you could probably find them anywhere that sells the easy-up type canopies.
Don / Sharon Smith
8th year fulltiming
1997 Beaver Patriot DP
2004 Jeep Rubicon

kcstepp1992
Explorer
Explorer
Hey Don, what are the black things at the base of your pop up there in that picture? Are they some sort of an anchor?

Blondie_Girl
Explorer
Explorer
Jimmy was over today. We had a great visit with him and his wife. He looks good and says he is feeling good. He has had his throat surgery and he goes back the 1st for his lung surgery.

There is a benefit being held Sat. March 31st in Three Rivers to help them with their expenses. There will be brisket dinners being sold in the parking area at the city building. This will be the SW corner at the stop light where you turn to go to the Super S grocery store. It starts at 11am until sold out.

llallerstedt
Explorer
Explorer
Love the picture. Now if I could find a gate like that for a single (me) and a special husband who can not work(on disability)!

Don_Shar
Explorer
Explorer
I had a friend from back home e-mail me and asked what gate guarding was like. I told him it is not for everyone but we were really enjoying it. We set at a gate (the same one since October) and write down name, company, license, time in and time out. We average about 30 trucks a day starting abot 5:30 AM and ending about 6 PM. may have one or two straglers around midnite(depends if anybody goes out to drink) We get to meet a lot of new people, I can not count the new friends I have made. I have about 35 caps given to me by venders, coffee, cookies, bag of oranges, pop, water(course the company man gives us all the fresh water we need)all in all tyhe life of a gate guard is very had and strenous....see picture.

Don / Sharon Smith
8th year fulltiming
1997 Beaver Patriot DP
2004 Jeep Rubicon

DianneOK
Explorer
Explorer
Moderator note

Y'all have the option to block PMs.

LivinGood is not welcome on the forums I moderate, but I can do nothing to block his pms.....I suggest you notify Admin when you get these....Admin would be very interested, to say the least :B

DianneOK, moderator
Dianne (and Terry) (Fulltimed for 9 years)
Donnelly, ID
HAM WB6N (Terry)
2012 Ford F350, diesel, 4x4 SRW, crew cab, longbed
2009 Lance 971 Truck Camper, loaded

Life Member Good Sam
Geocache..."RVcachers"
RV net Blog

[COLOR=]Camping, nature's way to feed the mosquitoes

mdbass
Explorer
Explorer
There is a saying that goes something like this. If we/they didn't like you, we/they wouldn't talk about or say things about you. I believe this topic is popular and has generated a lot of interest. Consequently we have those folks that want to "stir the pot". Additionally, the gate guard community knows whose comments deserve attention. Too bad we can't block some folks comments like their PM's.
Mark Bass

Don_Shar
Explorer
Explorer
coolbikeman1 wrote:
Oh yeah, forgot to mention that I also had a derogatory PM from the "Livin Good" character about my canopy question. I believe he said something to someone else here recently also that wasn't very nice. Just letting you all know. It said something like "just remove the canopy from the frame and would you like me to change your diaper too?" I don't think I would need any advice on taking off the canopy during high wind conditions, that is common sense;) But he must get a rush from these PM's

LivinGood is just a very unhappy person that sends PM to try to upset someone I blocked him from sending me PM's. He wants to make nasty comments but doesn't have the guts to do it in public. He must live a pretty lousey life.
Don / Sharon Smith
8th year fulltiming
1997 Beaver Patriot DP
2004 Jeep Rubicon