cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Information Discussion for Gate Guards

mdbass
Explorer
Explorer
Thought I'd start a new topic for Gate Guards to use for comments. Like the moderator suggested-keep technical stuff, recipes, mechanical, etc. where they belong. Lets hear from everyone sucking down that caliche dust.
Mark Bass
1,262 REPLIES 1,262

maineiak
Explorer
Explorer
jimmyfred wrote:
Ajones42 wrote:
jimmyfred wrote:
...........Just too clarify......My (4) listed items were....NOT....specifically referenced too any Particular company , Some workers just don't care and so someone is going to receive poor service , from time to time . , jf

Have you worked for any of the Big 3 gate guard companies?

...........Yes , and all GG companies are different ! Some want to micromanage and some have enough sense too allow their hires too use their own common sense and creativity when solving problems . , jf

maineiak
Explorer
Explorer
Don/Shar wrote:
We had to have work done on 1 air conditioner. I know there has been searches for reliable repair men by some of our fellow Gate Guards. Well I am very happy to report that there is a very good and reliable RV Service repair man in the area. I asked how far east he would go and he said as far as a good job wants him to. He will go to Tilden, Three Rivers, and George west I know because I asked him. He replace a motor and fan in my front air total for labor, service call and parts $367. My air never sounded this quiet before. He also has new air conditioners on hand should anyone want a new one put in.
RV/ Camper Repairs
Norman Chasten
Carrizo Springs
830-255-9515
He is good, quick and on time and very reasonable.

Thank-you, This is gonna be very helpfull in the future

Don_Shar
Explorer
Explorer
Well pretty busy for the last two days....rig is all gone, they just finished moving the last out at 6 tonite. We are all alone on this ranch. They are coming in to work on a new pad Monday, meanwhile no-one all weekend. 10 more days and we are leaving for a couple of months.
The company man told us he would gives us two days off to celebrate our 50th but then we had to get back ready to work.LOL
Don / Sharon Smith
8th year fulltiming
1 high school sweetheart bride of 52 yrs. Sharon
1 long haired mini dauchound...Jake
1997 Beaver Patriot DP
2004 Jeep Rubicon
http://s168.photobucket.com/albums/u189/smithster_photos/

Ken_and_Di
Explorer
Explorer
Howdy, I have read about a third of the posts in the thread and gleened some good info and have peaked my interest.

I will be driving from Houston to San Angelo the last week of June on business and was curious as to if I will be passing near by any of you. I would love to stop in to chat and get more info on the real deal of this work..

Also, anyone ever do this type work in a big truck camper?

Thanks,

Ken

mdbass
Explorer
Explorer
The Texan wrote:
The work prospects here in the Texas oil patch, now stretch well into the 22nd century. If allowed to recover this resource, our energy prices should remain stable throughout our lifetime.
For those looking for employment, they are holding job fairs weekly in the south Texas area and the jobs go begging, as few want to work. Truck drivers pay is in the $29.50/hr range to start, with local runs only and NO ONE wants to work. Certified rig workers, who only work 6 months a year, are making $100k to $200k annually and no one wants to work.....:?
The operative phrase is if allowed. Let's see what the pinky salamander and the snowy egret crowd have to say. Or the "sky is falling" frac=earthquake crowd. Sorry, I am in a kind of pessimistic mood today. BTW, a pipe welder in our RV park said he's making $75 an hour. WOW!! I keep hearing rumors of gates in the $200 a day range-we'll see. It's interesting that the gate guard companies would rather put service folks on a gate rather than raise pay to attract new blood. I know personnel shortages happen every summer; but it appears especially acute this year.
Mark Bass

The_Texan
Explorer
Explorer
I had to laugh today. Last year we were talking about the "new" discovery under the Eagle Ford Shale buddha and how it would extend work into the next century. Several called me on it and said I had no idea what I was talking about......Well, guess what, the petroleum industry finally announced the existence of the Pearsall shale, under the Eagle Ford and the fact that it is almost 2X the size. Just so folks understand how big the industry is here in Texas, there is also a 3rd shale formation under the Pearsall, that they are still mapping, but is already larger than both the Eagle Ford and the Pearsall formations combined.

The work prospects here in the Texas oil patch, now stretch well into the 22nd century. If allowed to recover this resource, our energy prices should remain stable throughout our lifetime.

For those looking for employment, they are holding job fairs weekly in the south Texas area and the jobs go begging, as few want to work. Truck drivers pay is in the $29.50/hr range to start, with local runs only and NO ONE wants to work. Certified rig workers, who only work 6 months a year, are making $100k to $200k annually and no one wants to work.....:?

Bob & Betsy - USN Aviation Ret'd '78 & LEO Ret'd '03 & "Oath Keeper Forever"

2005 HR Endeavor 40PRQ, '11 Silverado LT, Ex Cab 6.2L NHT 4x4, w/2017 Rzr 4-900 riding in 16+' enclosed trailer in back.
Where the wheels are stopped today

Don_Shar
Explorer
Explorer
We had to have work done on 1 air conditioner. I know there has been searches for reliable repair men by some of our fellow Gate Guards. Well I am very happy to report that there is a very good and reliable RV Service repair man in the area. I asked how far east he would go and he said as far as a good job wants him to. He will go to Tilden, Three Rivers, and George west I know because I asked him. He replace a motor and fan in my front air total for labor, service call and parts $367. My air never sounded this quiet before. He also has new air conditioners on hand should anyone want a new one put in.
RV/ Camper Repairs
Norman Chasten
Carrizo Springs
830-255-9515
He is good, quick and on time and very reasonable.
Don / Sharon Smith
8th year fulltiming
1997 Beaver Patriot DP
2004 Jeep Rubicon

The_Texan
Explorer
Explorer
straycat59 wrote:
What is a gate keeper?
Most of us work in the oil fields, checking in/out vehicles. The main purpose is so that there is a record of persons in the site, if there is a catastrophic event. We are called Gate Guards, but in reality, 90% of the time, you guard nothing. If you are interested in a canned response to the job, PM me and I have a 2 part response I will send you.

2005 HR Endeavor 40PRQ, '11 Silverado LT, Ex Cab 6.2L NHT 4x4, w/2017 Rzr 4-900 riding in 16+' enclosed trailer in back.

straycat59
Explorer
Explorer
What is a gate keeper?

john_and_terry
Explorer
Explorer
jetboater454 wrote:
And I thought in the 90's was hot.Even the pool is kind of warm.Think if I was there I'd put one of those blue ice things under my hat.:B

It would last about 5 minutes. At least you'd be cool for 5 minutes though. :B
Full Timing In Our 1996 Winnebago Brave (P30/454)
...Check Out Our Gate Guarding Blog HERE!
TOAD - 2010 Nissan Cube
With 2 Fairly Well Behaved Diggities
Venus And Midnight

jetboater454
Explorer
Explorer
And I thought in the 90's was hot.Even the pool is kind of warm.Think if I was there I'd put one of those blue ice things under my hat.:B
2011 Toyota Tundra DC Long Bed
2001 Harley Dyna Lowrider

The_Texan
Explorer
Explorer
Yesterday ours had 105ยฐ on the dial, but today, it only got to 102ยฐ. Yep, it is hot and when you add in the humidity, it is 6ยฐ to 10ยฐ higher....

Don_Shar
Explorer
Explorer

Folks please be careful out there on them gates....drink plenty of water.
Don / Sharon Smith
8th year fulltiming
1997 Beaver Patriot DP
2004 Jeep Rubicon

DianneOK
Explorer
Explorer
Moderator note....this topic is for gate guard information. Any personal attacks will be deleted with no explanation and the poster reported to Administration.

Thank you to all who have kept this topic on track. I appreciate it.

DianneOK, moderator
Dianne (and Terry) (Fulltimed for 9 years)
Donnelly, ID
HAM WB6N (Terry)
2012 Ford F350, diesel, 4x4 SRW, crew cab, longbed
2009 Lance 971 Truck Camper, loaded

Life Member Good Sam
Geocache..."RVcachers"
RV net Blog

[COLOR=]Camping, nature's way to feed the mosquitoes

mickhold
Explorer
Explorer
My husband Woody and I are the couple Mark took over for when Woody was admitted to the hospital. I have been talking with Mark - trying to help with his current problem. He took over a 24hr gate solo to help us and our company SiteWatch out. so count us in. Mark helped me get our motorhome ready for a friend and our son to drive back to Killeen. So count us in.