cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Information Discussion for Gate Guards

mdbass
Explorer
Explorer
Thought I'd start a new topic for Gate Guards to use for comments. Like the moderator suggested-keep technical stuff, recipes, mechanical, etc. where they belong. Lets hear from everyone sucking down that caliche dust.
Mark Bass
1,262 REPLIES 1,262

The_Texan
Explorer
Explorer
mimi55 wrote:
does sitewatch pay by w-2 or 1099?
GGS, Loma and J&G by 1099. SiteWatch, Timekeepers and all others that I am aware of, by W-2. However, please talk to a tax attorney that is familiar with the ongoing law suit, prior to going with one of the companies that pay by 1099. Tax implications are being generated by the Federal law suit as how it may impact those being paid by 1099, on the day it is settled, are starting to surface. I won't go into all of what we were told, but just make sure, in your mind, you are ready for all possible IRS scenarios and a whopper of a tax bill.

Bob & Betsy - USN Aviation Ret'd '78 & LEO Ret'd '03 & "Oath Keeper Forever"

2005 HR Endeavor 40PRQ, '11 Silverado LT, Ex Cab 6.2L NHT 4x4, w/2017 Rzr 4-900 riding in 16+' enclosed trailer in back.
Where the wheels are stopped today

mimi55
Explorer
Explorer
does sitewatch pay by w-2 or 1099?

Ajones42
Explorer
Explorer
The Texan wrote:
H345 wrote:

waywardwinds ,

Several GG companies have recently suggested that the activities of their guards not be public knowledge . If you have specific questions , privately email or pm individuals .

LOL...No suggestion about it. GGS threatened them with their job if they posted any info on a public forum and made them sign a Non-disclosure statement. The rest of us are still here and still posting, just not any GGS employees.....:(

By the way, GGS is now the lowest paying gate guard company in Texas. ALL of the others have increased their pay.

GGS actually went so far as to contact some of the guards with active blogs via telephone and ask them to remove content. Must have worked because the gate guard blogs have all but disappeared.

In all fairness, some of the blogs were disclosing way too much information about their site and what the oil companies were doing. Not the way to do business in the oil patch.
Fulltiming in a 2010 Puma 30RKSS
1993 Dolphin 32D -> Destroyed by hail April 2013
Gate Guards in the South Texas Pucker Brush
My Old RV
Oil Field Gate Guard Forum

jimmyfred
Explorer
Explorer
H345 wrote:

waywardwinds ,

Several GG companies have recently suggested that the activities of their guards not be public knowledge . If you have specific questions , privately email or pm individuals .

............Knowledge is power when it comes too publishing the level of pay , in general , without necessarily posting explicit pay levels specific too any one company !
............The more knowledge beginning GG's have the better they will fare when it comes too choosing which companies too work for !!! , jf
2003 Chevy 8.1 Dually 2Wdr.
1999 Travel Supreme , 33 RLSS
20K Reese , Prodigy etc.

The_Texan
Explorer
Explorer
H345 wrote:

waywardwinds ,

LOL...No suggestion about it. GGS threatened them with their job if they posted any info on a public forum and made them sign a Non-disclosure statement. The rest of us are still here and still posting, just not any GGS employees.....:(

By the way, GGS is now the lowest paying gate guard company in Texas. ALL of the others have increased their pay.

2005 HR Endeavor 40PRQ, '11 Silverado LT, Ex Cab 6.2L NHT 4x4, w/2017 Rzr 4-900 riding in 16+' enclosed trailer in back.

H345
Explorer
Explorer

waywardwinds ,

waywardwinds
Explorer
Explorer
what happen this thread was great till we joined then it went dead.
john and carol
2000 holliday rambler class a 2 slides
and a lab

Southern_Nights
Explorer
Explorer
Here is an interesting blog of a single woman who gate guards. Reading her blog the gates sound pretty easy and very little traffic.

http://whatsupwithsusanandcompany.blogspot.com/

You need to go back a few weeks in her blog to find the gate guarding experiences. I think she left her last gate at the beginning of Sept.
Larry and Samantha
Fur kids-Duchess,Mesa and Sweetie

jimmyfred
Explorer
Explorer
Mfar1234 wrote:
Yes, the 5th Wheel will have a larger fridge and I plan on placing a smaller deep freeze in the unit - as well as a washer/dryer.

I figured it would be hectic as single -- however, I;ve heard that there are some gates for singles and some w/ a third person because of the work load...

My thought process is to "get in the door" and in time get a slower gate alone or work as a third at another.

Have any other knowledge to pass along?

Thanks for responding
Mark

..............Texan , Bob , knows more about GGing than anyone else around ! You should PM him for knowledgeable advise with any questions you might have !
..............I reread my post and it sounds harsh but I really didn't intend for it to come out that way ! I just wanted you too realize , that without any actual experience , a single working on a 24\7 gate is a very tough introduction to a Job that can be very enjoyable as long as you are properally prepared ! , jf
20K Reese , Prodigy etc.

Ajones42
Explorer
Explorer
Mfar1234 wrote:
Yes, the 5th Wheel will have a larger fridge and I plan on placing a smaller deep freeze in the unit - as well as a washer/dryer.

I figured it would be hectic as single -- however, I;ve heard that there are some gates for singles and some w/ a third person because of the work load...

My thought process is to "get in the door" and in time get a slower gate alone or work as a third at another.

Thanks for responding
Mark

Hey Mark,

There are some gates that are 12hr gates where a single might JUST get by. There are also some gates that are manned by a team and a single but please understand these are the exception to what is usual and customary.

You might try and see if anyone has a position up around Ft Worth. Some of those gates in the city up there are mandated to be 7am - 7pm because of there close proximity to subdivisions etc.
Fulltiming in a 2010 Puma 30RKSS
1993 Dolphin 32D -> Destroyed by hail April 2013
Gate Guards in the South Texas Pucker Brush
My Old RV
Oil Field Gate Guard Forum

Mfar1234
Explorer
Explorer

Thanks for responding
Mark
:C
Mfar1234
40' 2002 Alpine Coach, 400 ISL Cummings/3000 6sd Allison
2006 Dodge Ram 4x4
Brodie - Lab Mix and Baylee - Border Collie

Blondie_Girl
Explorer
Explorer
Before you jump into gate guarding, you need to think about how you will obtain groceries and do laundry. You will be working 24/7 and each well takes 3-4 weeks. So you would need enough groceries and clean clothes for at least a month at a time. You could even be assigned to a gate that might last several months.
It sure would be a hectic job for a single person.

The_Texan
Explorer
Explorer
We have been doing this since 2007 and I have worked a gate as a single for up to a month.......No thanks, there is no way I would ever consider taking a full time gate by myself.

If you have any specific questions, feel free to send a PM.

jimmyfred
Explorer
Explorer
Mfar1234 wrote:
Hello All; I'm about to venture off into the world of full time RV living. I'd sure like to spend a few months unwinding in the Gate Guard community - bank a few more $'s - while I put together my plans.
Can anyone give me some good insight and tell me how easy it is to get a gate? I'm a single fella - hard work isnt an issue!

Chime in

.............Much of what happens on a day to day basis depends , on the company you work for , the attitude of the Company man , the weather , the quality of the support trailer which includes generator-fresh water and septic , the knowledge and attitude of support personnel when your genny quits at noon when it's 105f , etc .
..............Understand , IF you are on a gate by your lonesome you're NEVER going to crawl into bed for 8 hours of continuous sleep , you'll be lucky if you can find time too shower and fix a sandwich without someone coming through your gate . You will become 'Zombieized' too some extent depending on the amount of sleep you can "do without" !
..............Don't take it for granted you'll get hired or beable too 'handle' the working conditions of gateguarding . Those singles who've earned their stripes , are dedicated and actually enjoy their work know that it's the $$$ in your savings acct at the end of the first year that offsets all the discomfort they've put up with that motivitates them too keep on working ! And , analyzing and responding correctly too a complex safety issue will overwhelm those who haven't prepared themselves for such ! , jf
20K Reese , Prodigy etc.

ol_Bombero-JC
Explorer
Explorer
Mfar1234 wrote:
Hello All; I'm about to venture off into the world of full time RV living. I'd sure like to spend a few months unwinding in the Gate Guard community - bank a few more $'s - while I put together my plans.
Can anyone give me some good insight and tell me how easy it is to get a gate? I'm a single fella - hard work isnt an issue!

Chime in

Hmmmmmm . .
maybe just "backtracking" and *reading* the posts in this thread would help!.

The Search feature is handy too.