cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Is 70 the age to stop towing

Supercharged
Explorer
Explorer
I think maybe if you drive a motorhome at 70 you are safe, but pulling anything behind it is not safe.
So big a world, so little time to see.
373 REPLIES 373

mr__ed
Explorer
Explorer
rhagfo wrote:
Has more to do with overall health than age. If your reactions are still good, mind sharp, and vision decent I would say continue on.

X2. I was nearly 70, full timing and in great shape until a stroke took me out of the equation. I had planned to fulltime much longer since I had no issues whatsoever pulling my fiver and setting up camp. Not living in my RV is a bummer which is hard to get used to.
Mr. Ed (fulltiming since 1987)
Life is fragile. Handle with prayer.

2007 Hitchhiker II LS Model 29.5 LKTG (sold)
2007 Dodge Ram 3500/6.7 CTD/QC/4X4/SB/SRW/6-speed man/Big Horn edition (sold)

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
This is a fact.. I'm 65, I've been "Estimated" at 55 by POLICE no less, had to show 'em my license to convince 'em of my age."
Some folks 45 look older than me. And some folks 45 ARE older than me when it comes to sharpness of mind and strength of body (But then I'm a Coffee holic)

I have a friend who just celeberated his birthday 2 days ago. Most folks think he is younger than I. he's not.

Many things: HE (And I) both have/had jobs we enjoy for the most part. We are not big Boozers, not smokers, Both Singers, same vocal range in fact.

We both know the LYRICS to Stars and Stripes forever.

Others have jobs they hate, Spend half their pay check at the bar.. Basically remind me of the phrase "Road hard and put away wet" (Horse talk).

THe bottom line is it is not possible to say XX is too old to tow. or drive a class A. however I can say 150 is likely too old.. but then .. Nobody that old.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

John_Joey
Explorer
Explorer
Supercharged wrote:
John&Joey wrote:
WOW 13,797 reads for Supercharge... wonder if it's his personal best.
I think it will hit 15,000.

Yeah, but you cheated!!!! Brought it back from the dead is what you did!
Thereโ€™s no fool, like an old fool.

full-timer
Explorer
Explorer
I'll be 80 my next birthday and will quit towing when all these young "whipper snappers" quit having accidents.
An Indian and a Gypsy

Joe and Nancy
2002 34 foot Georgetown double slide Ford V-10
towing 2004 Chevrolet Cavalier 4 Down

jeepfreak
Explorer
Explorer
My father quit towing his 35 ft airstream at 89. He's 93 now and I'll still ride with him!
2007 Allegro 34wa Workhorse 8.1, Allison 6-speed. Bow Tie powered 79 CJ-7 Toad or 2014 Jeep Unlimited Rubicon Toad

Edd505
Explorer
Explorer
I suspect when you say "OH Sh_T, I should not have done that" and call your insurance company, it's time to quit.
2015 F350 FX4 SRW 6.7 Crew, longbed - 2017 Durango Gold 353RKT
2006 F350 SRW 6.0 crew longbed sold
2000 F250 SRW 7.3 extended longbed airbags sold
2001 Western Star 4900EX sold
Jayco Eagle 30.5BHLT sold, Layton 24.5LT sold

IBcarguy
Explorer
Explorer
I'm glad everyone says no to this....I'll be 70 in a few months.

Supercharged
Explorer
Explorer
wd wrote:
You notice he made a blanket statement and deserted the post. Lol

No, I'm here reading and thinking about everyone of you that are over 70.

Supercharged
Explorer
Explorer
John&Joey wrote:
WOW 13,797 reads for Supercharge... wonder if it's his personal best.
I think it will hit 15,000.

fj12ryder
Explorer III
Explorer III
A good indication is the when the number of people gesticulating at you increases and you wonder why. ๐Ÿ™‚
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

mowingman
Explorer
Explorer
A person should have enough sense to know when it is time to stop towing, based on their abilities. I have a friend who turns 80 this year. He and his wife just took delivery of a brand new 39' fifth wheel, and plan to continue full timing for as long as their health allows. He told me that common sense will let him know when he needs to give up towing.

Supercharged
Explorer
Explorer
atwowheelguy wrote:
Heavens! I've only got 14 months left until age 70. Does that mean I have to give up my dirt bike, too? It's harder to handle than the trailer.

As long as you ride in the woods, but riding on the road after 70 is hit and miss, you are the hit.

atwowheelguy
Explorer
Explorer
Heavens! I've only got 14 months left until age 70. Does that mean I have to give up my dirt bike, too? It's harder to handle than the trailer.

2013 F150 XLT SCrew 5.5' 3.5 EB, 3.55, 2WD, 1607# Payload, EAZ Lift WDH
Toy Hauler: 2010 Fun Finder XT-245, 5025# new, 6640-7180# loaded, 900# TW, Voyager wireless rear view camera
Toys: '66 Super Hawk, XR400R, SV650, XR650R, DL650 V-Strom, 525EXC, 500EXC

pnichols
Explorer II
Explorer II
Hmmm ..... a backseat driver is probably the best one to judge whether or not a 70-on-up year old should even drive ... let alone drive a towable RV.

In my case ... that would be the DW, who is the passenger in our RV and at all times knows and says how I'm doing in my driving. She hasn't asked me to stop driving it ... yet!
2005 E450 Itasca 24V Class C

kennethwooster
Explorer
Explorer
NO!! I'm 72!and definitely not ready to quit. I had aerobic valve changed out last summer, and missed our rip. Can't wait to get going again.
kenneth wooster- retired farmer. Biblical History Teacher in public HS, and substitute teacher.
wife Diana-adult probation officer, now retired.
31KSLS Full Body paint Cameo
Ford F350 2014 DRW 4X4 King Ranch.
20K B&W Puck mount hitch