Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

It's Time To Go Shopping! :)

wishin_andhopin
Explorer
Explorer
At least, I hope so.

We just got an offer on our house and as soon as the inspection and appraisal are done, we are going to go looking for our new (to us) RV to live in full-time. We are going used and my intent is to get something that is 2 to 10 years oldish.

I would love to take all of you guys with me shopping (that'd be funny to watch :B ). The collective knowledge on here is invaluable.

For starters, I have some questions.

We are going to be living in the Boise area, for the most part. It can get pretty cold in the winter and I was wondering if there are any must have/do as far as insulation packages/upgrades? If yes, can it be done after the purchase?

Are there professional RV inspectors? I think we could do a pretty good job inspecting it, but I'd feel better if someone who really knew there stuff could do it.

There seems to be a lot fewer for sale right now and they seem to be higher priced than they were a few months ago - even on Craigslist. Maybe I just remember wrong on the prices. It seems like there were decent, used 5th wheels in the $15,000 to $20,000 range, but I can't find any now. So now I'm looking at travel trailers. Is it my imagination or has the market changed in the last couple of months?

For convenience of selection, I think we are probably going to go to a dealership and will be paying all cash. I hate dickering, but I know I'm going to have to. How much from the posted price do dealers normally come down?

Do RV dealerships try to do the same thing as some car dealerships where they pass you off to some guy in a room that tries to get you to buy a bunch of extra stuff with hard sells?

I'm in southern Nevada and my husband is currently in Boise. I've seen, although I don't remember where, advertisements for RV dealerships that have a huge inventories and we don't mind traveling a bit to shop. If you have a suggestion for a dealership in the southwest or northwest that has a great inventory, I'd like to know.

BTW, we have owned an RV before and we know it can be a bumpy transition to go from a regular house to full-time RV living. We are going to do everything we can to make it work and if for some reason we end up hating it, we still have other options.

Thank you for any advice or info.
25 REPLIES 25

wishin_andhopin
Explorer
Explorer
Actually, I think I was wrong to think I couldn't get what I wanted from a private seller. After reading everyone's posts, I went on Craigslist and looked for used 5th wheels around Boise and sent my husband a list. He's been looking at them this weekend and has seen some very nice ones.

dcason
Explorer
Explorer
We are currently in vegas visiting son who bought a fifth wheel to live in while working in vegas. $10,000 for 37 feet....from private individual. It did need some work and cleaning up...but nothing major. The pricing started at $14,000 but they wanted to get rid of it so....$10,000 for a year 2000.

Keep looking. There is info online on prepping your rv for winter.
Donna

ncrowley
Explorer
Explorer
I would not restrict yourself to private or dealers. the key is to know what you are looking at and what the price should be. I hired an RV consultant and he was a tremendous help. He charged an hourly rate to consult and to inspect. There are a lot of RVs for sale in the Phoenix area - a lot more than where I lived. We talked with him first to talk about brands and options. We then spent a lot of time looking locally and test drove some Class As. We then had a real good idea of what we were looking for. Since we could not find one locally, we looked at RVs in Phoenix and if one looked good, we sent him to look. He eliminated a number of them and saved us a lot of time. We found one and then drove out ourselves. It worked out well for us.
Nancy
Newmar Northern Star

Mountain_Mama
Explorer
Explorer
Check out rvtrader.com Put in the mileage you're willing to travel to look @ units. You can also choose to see units offered by individuals, dealers or both. It will give you an idea about what's out there and prices being asked plus you can link directly to dealer website if you choose.
2003 Holiday Rambler Alumascape 34RLT

Roy_Lynne
Explorer
Explorer
wishin'andhopin' wrote:

Those of you who have purchased from dealerships (used), what has been your experience? How much did they come down on the sticker price? We are paying cash. We may go to Oregon to avoid sales tax.

Living in WA let me tell you that is easier said than done. To buy a vehicle (car, motor home, etc.) you need to prove your residency in Oregon. Some people were buying $600,000 motor coaches and trying to save the sales tax they'd have to pay in their home states. Oregon said that's a no no. So before you buy you need to set up residency, get ID and an address.
I would think that the best idea would be to north and right now and see about bargains.

DianneOK
Explorer
Explorer
Better rethink buying in Oregon to avoid sales tax........
Dianne (and Terry) (Fulltimed for 9 years)
Donnelly, ID
HAM WB6N (Terry)
2012 Ford F350, diesel, 4x4 SRW, crew cab, longbed
2009 Lance 971 Truck Camper, loaded

Life Member Good Sam
Geocache..."RVcachers"
RV net Blog

[COLOR=]Camping, nature's way to feed the mosquitoes

wishin_andhopin
Explorer
Explorer
I don't like the idea of dealerships either and for the same reasons you all don't, but we want certain qualities that are non negotiable and it will increase the likelihood of finding a tt with them with a large selection.

I really like the idea of a 5th wheel too. I think they are going to be easier to handle and they just seem nicer, in general. I don't like losing the bed of the pick up. We may ultimately go that way, though.

I have been reading a lot on increasing the efficiency of whatever type of unit we decide on.

Apartments really are out. I have a large breed dog that is on banned breed lists. The CG we will be at will allow her. She is being trained as a service animal, so, ultimately, it really won't matter regardless.

Those of you who have purchased from dealerships (used), what has been your experience? How much did they come down on the sticker price? We are paying cash. We may go to Oregon to avoid sales tax.

bsinmich
Explorer
Explorer
If you are looking at motorhomes some of the top line ones are much better insulated than others. Newmar is one company that actually lists their insulation values (R) rating.
1999 Damon Challenger 310 Ford

DianneOK
Explorer
Explorer
I cannot advise you on dealers. We bought our Teton from the factory, but it is not in business any more. We have dealt with several dealers in the Treasure Valley and all have been good.

The suggestion to rent an apartment for a while may be the best yet. You can then take your time looking. Winter is settling in here in Idaho, and it can be a challenge if you have never experienced it. Then again, you may be able to find a good deal by not rushing things.
Dianne (and Terry) (Fulltimed for 9 years)
Donnelly, ID
HAM WB6N (Terry)
2012 Ford F350, diesel, 4x4 SRW, crew cab, longbed
2009 Lance 971 Truck Camper, loaded

Life Member Good Sam
Geocache..."RVcachers"
RV net Blog

[COLOR=]Camping, nature's way to feed the mosquitoes

Me_Again
Explorer II
Explorer II
Roy&Lynne wrote:
I would also suggest a 5th Wheel. They are easier to maneuver, and better insulated. My Dream RV
I like the idea of 2 bathrooms and two exits. I wouldn't need the bunks so I would use that area for an office or more wardrobe.
But go wander around a sales yard and look at TT, and 5th and check the skins, and you will see the difference right away.
Congrats on selling your house Its going to be a great adventure for you and hope you keep on posting to let us know how your doing.

Take those rose colored glasses or sleeping blinders off for a minute and Look at some of the numbers.

36'9" trailer with a GVWR of 12192 lbs equals really light construction.

Now fill the grey and black water tanks and the 2382 very small carrying capacity is reduced by 1328 lbs.

All of this on 15" tires!!!!!!!

Judging by those numbers this appears to be an very basic entry level trailer.

Chris
2021 F150 2.7 Ecoboost - Summer Home 2017 Bighorn 3575el. Can Am Spyder RT-L Chrome, Kawasaki KRX1000. Retired and enjoying it! RIP DW 07-05-2021

Roy_Lynne
Explorer
Explorer
I would also suggest a 5th Wheel. They are easier to maneuver, and better insulated. My Dream RV
I like the idea of 2 bathrooms and two exits. I wouldn't need the bunks so I would use that area for an office or more wardrobe.
But go wander around a sales yard and look at TT, and 5th and check the skins, and you will see the difference right away.
Congrats on selling your house Its going to be a great adventure for you and hope you keep on posting to let us know how your doing.

Me_Again
Explorer II
Explorer II
I would much rather deal with a private party any day vs a stealership! Dealers always want more and get it most of the time, as they are in bed with the lenders and can get a car, truck, boat or RV financed for a higher amount. Walking in with cast means little to them, unless it is the end of the month and they want to move units! There are pluses for them to get you to finance from "their" lender!

Find a MS or Teton from a private party, your cash deal will buy you a lot more with a private seller. When one lays down 80 percent of an asking price with money under the sellers nose, it is really hard for them to not pick it up!

Personally I would go rent an apartment there for 6 months and feel things out, and then start your RV adventure in the late spring or summer, giving you lead time to figure out the winter living thing. Doing it now would be like jumping in a near frozen lake without a life jacket!

Chris
2021 F150 2.7 Ecoboost - Summer Home 2017 Bighorn 3575el. Can Am Spyder RT-L Chrome, Kawasaki KRX1000. Retired and enjoying it! RIP DW 07-05-2021

wishin_andhopin
Explorer
Explorer
I don't want to quote and post for every single post (there's no multi-quote here), but thank you all for your suggestions on how to properly prepare for the coldest months. It's not a question of if we are going to do it; we are going to do it. Like I said earlier, if we hate it, we still have options.

I would like some feedback on the other questions I asked, if anyone is feeling so inclined. My husband and I have both worked at car dealerships so we don't exactly relish the idea of dealing with dealerships. Any suggestions for purchases would be great.

RFCN2
Explorer
Explorer
Our motorhome is well insulated. Our roof is R20 and we have thick insulated walls. We have been in temps down to about 20F. That was pretty easy for our rig. Below that you may start to have problems with things in the basement freezing up. Our basement storage area is heated by our furnace, but we don't always leave our furnace on at night. We usually just turn on an electric heater.

I have heard that Triple E coaches from Canada handled the cold really well and also Teton 5th wheels.

Like others I would suggest moving south in the winter.
RFCN2
Country Coach
Jeep Wrangler Unlimited