cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Jack Kerouac, How many have even heard of him?

Water-Bug
Explorer
Explorer
In the 50s or 60s, he wrote the book "On the Road." It was a hippie guide book but he wasn't a hippie but rather a true free spirit. He defined a hippie as someone who could find a marijuana joint on any street corner in America. The road was his world and he loved evety minute of it.
32 REPLIES 32

Roy_Lynne
Explorer
Explorer
Aging hippy here and OF COURSE I've heard of him and read him.

Gjac
Explorer III
Explorer III
Having grown up in the 50's yes I have heard of him. He influenced a lot of people my age. Now that I am almost 70 I don't see what the fascination was all about. He drank himself to death before he turned 50. I am not sure that is "freedom".

Carb_Cleaner
Explorer
Explorer
puttd wrote:
... Natalie Merchant song about him too.

It was written by Natalie Merchant and Robert Buck, a fellow band member. Originally on the album "In My Tribe", by 10,000 Maniacs, released 1987. It's a good album and I have it on vinyl, but it's not a very good song, IMHO. Three-chord, mellow rock on acoustic guitars. Un-inspiring. Almost, Muzak-like.
Edit: I've never bothered to read his works. I was too busy living the life of a Free Spirit and hanging out on street corners, I guess. LOL
'13 F250XL SC gas 4x4 8', Camper & Plow packages, StableLoads, LT285/65R-18 Goodyear Wrangler A/T Adventure, 18x9 Ultra Motorsports "Phantom" wheels
'12 Wolf Creek 850 TC Coleman Polar Cub 9.2k A/C, 90 watt solar, dual propane & batteries, Maggie Rack

RKW
Explorer
Explorer
2gypsies wrote:
Do young people even read a book nowdays?

I'm not young, but I average about 3/month. DW sez, 'you know how much you spend on books every year?'.
Ryan

• 2015 Ford F250

• 2015 Rockwood Signature Ultralite 8280 WS

• Dual Honda EU2000i Generators

The wages of sin are death; but after they're done taking out taxes, it's just a tired feeling.

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer
Do young people even read a book nowdays?
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

NYCgrrl
Explorer
Explorer
ReadyToGo wrote:
William Least Heat-Moon's Blue Highways and
John Steinbeck's Travels With Charley in search of America
are much better travel books for most RVers.

Still haven't read Steinbeck's "Travels with Charley" but so very much enjoyed William Least Moon's "Blue Highways". Never really thought of it as a travelers' book per se but yanno what? You're right:).

zigzagrv
Explorer
Explorer
"Johnny had a patch on his a$$" Nope, never heard of him.

Ron

2003 Gulf Stream Ultra Supreme 33'
F53 Class A
2013 Ford Edge toad

Vulcaneer
Explorer
Explorer
Crowe wrote:
He's a very familiar person around here due to his living in Lowell. Half hate him, half love him. Half think he was just a drug addict, half think he was a free spirit.

http://www.nps.gov/lowe/historyculture/kerouac.htm

As a kid growing up, I felt the beatniks and hippies were a bunch of crackpots that did their best to avoid real work, or be real productive members of society . But as I matured, I found that regardless of how people look, they all can offer some provacative perspectives on things. And I learn from them.

The hippie, the druggie, the homeless, the criminal, the panhandler, the hobo, the free spirit, the politician, the CEO. I enjoy speaking to all of them with respect. Might not alway like the person, but you can learn something from anyone.

I do have to admit though that the politician usually has me leaving and scratching my head. Would much rather speak with all the others. They don't upset me nearly as much.
'12 F350 SB, CC, SRW, 6.7 PSD, 3.55 RAR, 6 spd auto
2015 DRV 38RSS 'Traditions'
Pullrite Super Glide 18K

Retirement = It's all poops and giggles....UNTIL someone Giggles and Poops.

Water-Bug
Explorer
Explorer
ReadyToGo wrote:

Having grown up on the central coast of California and currently alternating between northern Michigan and Florida, I'm torn between Steinbeck and Hemingway as favorites. ๐Ÿ™‚

IndyCamp
Explorer
Explorer
Jim Irsay paid big bucks for the original manuscript.
2018 Grand Design Reflection 315RLTS
2014 RAM 2500 6.4L HEMI

Water-Bug
Explorer
Explorer
darsben wrote:
Funny you misspelled his name on this thread but spelled it correctly earlier.
Apparently you do well on the street corner yourself.

If everyone who misspelled something on this forum were standing on a street corner, traffic wouldn't be going anywhere.

Crowe
Explorer
Explorer
What no ambivalent people in your

You obviously don't understand a New England Yank very well. It either is or it ain't. :B

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be

Douglas Adams

[purple]RV-less for now but our spirits are still on the open road. [/purple]

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
Jack Kerouac, I've heard of him but didn't know much about him.

ReadyToGo
Explorer
Explorer