cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Just booked a new adventure...

Desert_Captain
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have a birthday {67} coming up on Friday and have been looking for something different to do so...

The local forecast is calling for a fast-moving cold front rolling into southern Arizona that should bring snow to 5K' and above on Thursday night/through Saturday morning. For years I have talked about doing a quick trip up to Fool Hollow Lake Campground in Show Low {6,600'} for a couple of nights of cold camping.

Got online and sure enough, a great site with 30 amps was available so I locked it down for Thursday and Friday nights. Just topped off the LP tank on our 24' Class C and Nexus builds them like an insulated thermos {I have a 35,000 BTU furnace}. Will arrive with our LP fire pit and a load of firewood and lots of warm clothes, a couple of movies and lots of refreshments.

Told my bride if she elects to pass I will still go but she sounds guardedly optimistic, we'll see.

:B
29 REPLIES 29

BarabooBob
Explorer III
Explorer III
The weekend before Thanksgiving I was deer hunting with 3 of my daughters. We had about 4 inches of snow and temps around 10 degrees (f) The girls all informed me that this is now an annual event so I have to plan on taking the TT every year. I usually camped in my deer hunting camper, a Scamp, by myself but I guess I have company from now on.
They loved sitting around the wood stove in the picnic shelter during and after meals together. None of their husband want to go so they go without them. Gotta love strong willed, independent daughters.
Bob & Dawn Married 34 years
2017 Viking 17RD
2011 Ford F150 3.5L Ecoboost 420 lb/ft
Retired

Trekkar
Explorer
Explorer
Let us know how it turns out!
2014 Dodge Ram 1500
2021 Salem SFX 167RBK

CavemanCharlie
Explorer II
Explorer II
Sounds like Fun !!

Veebyes
Explorer II
Explorer II
And I sit here grumbling about the temp going into the low 60s tonight.
Boat: 32' 1996 Albin 32+2, single Cummins 315hp
40+ night per year overnighter

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR
2006 Chevy 3500 LT, CC,LB 6.6L Diesel

Ham Radio: VP9KL, IRLP node 7995

Last_Train
Explorer
Explorer
That's part of what makes RV'ng fun! Have a great time. Sounds like you are prepared for what you will get in to.

But even if not, it can still be a bit of an adventure. Eg. a couple of years ago we decided at the last minute to set up just north of San Antonio in the Texas Hill Country. We knew it would be cold, and our Freedom Express 192 RBS is not rigged for really cold weather. Turns out, as will sometimes happen in Texas weather, temps got lots colder than forecast for where we were - for two successive nights we had 15 & 16 degrees overnight. We were prepared for some freezing temps, but not that low! But we scrambled over to a nearby Home Depot and grabbed some additional needed gear & made some common sense decisions for inside and outside . . . and nobody died! We actually had a great time and now have a story to tell.

Still love the blessing of being able to go just about whenever and wherever we want.

Hope you enjoy your trip this time.
2016 Coachmen Freedom Express 192RBS
2018 RAM 1500 Ecodiesel

73guna
Explorer
Explorer
One of the best camping trips I ever had was the day after a snow storm and we had 20* temps and 20+ mph winds.
My son and I had the campground to ourselves.
2007 Chevy Silverado Crewcab Duramax.
2016 Wildwood 31qbts.

ppine
Explorer II
Explorer II
Extending the camping season is one of the great things about owning an RV. I just returned from a local trip to the woods last week. I was the only person in a campground that is always full in summer. I spent the first evening with my dog around a fire with only a Great Horned Owl for company. The next night some friends came down from town for dinner. It was about 20 at night, since we were in a warming trend.

Merrykalia
Explorer
Explorer
We just winterized our fifth wheel on Sunday, but we camped all last week in snow showers, cool daytime temps (50s) and 20s at night. We stayed warm, set up a large completely enclosed tent outside to visit with friends, had a propane heater in there with us. Fed 28 on Thanksgiving day and had a blast.

Happy Birthday and enjoy.
2017 Ford F350 Crew Cab 6.7L 4x4 DRW

azdryheat
Explorer
Explorer
We're booked for Fool Hollow in January. Have no idea what weather to expect.
2013 Chevy 3500HD CC dually
2014 Voltage 3600 toy hauler
2019 RZR 1000XP TRE

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
Sounds like a lot of fun and a new great adventure! Have LOTS of fun. And... the best part of cold-weather camping is the "snuggling" in bed.

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
Wish we could join ya - have a great time!

b17drvr
Explorer
Explorer
Sounds like fun!

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
Enjoy your adventure and happy birthday.
I like cold weather camping as long as it's above 65 degrees F. ๐Ÿ™‚

2edgesword
Explorer
Explorer
Enjoy!

CFerguson
Explorer
Explorer
Sounds like a good trip- I love snow camping (tho not the coming and going in it). And happy birthday in advance!