cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Kayak hooked to ladder?

DesertHiker
Explorer
Explorer
Has anyone rigged up a kayak to the back ladder of your trailer or motorhome for transport? Advice?
DesertHiker
home base is Bend, Oregon
7 REPLIES 7

DesertHiker
Explorer
Explorer
Second Chance wrote:
am1958 wrote:
If the ladder is rated for 300 pounds and the kayak weighs 33 pounds then you would require a 9G jolt/bounce to approach your ladder's limit. That is about where a fighter pilot in a G Suit typically passes out in flight. So if you're putting (G stress in your RV on a regular basis I'd be more worried about the RV as a whole than a kayak on your ladder.

Our inflatable kayak weighs more than 33 lbs. and our son's 2-person kayaks weigh a lot more. I wasn't expecting a kayak that lite.

Rob

I donโ€™t know quite what that means, but I think I will stay with my 2-piece kayak that will fit inside, or purchase a rack designEd for the task! Thanks.
DesertHiker

Second_Chance
Explorer II
Explorer II
am1958 wrote:
If the ladder is rated for 300 pounds and the kayak weighs 33 pounds then you would require a 9G jolt/bounce to approach your ladder's limit. That is about where a fighter pilot in a G Suit typically passes out in flight. So if you're putting (G stress in your RV on a regular basis I'd be more worried about the RV as a whole than a kayak on your ladder.

Our inflatable kayak weighs more than 33 lbs. and our son's 2-person kayaks weigh a lot more. I wasn't expecting a kayak that lite.

Rob
U.S. Army retired
2020 Solitude 310GK-R
MORryde IS, disc brakes, solar, DP windows
(Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
2012 F350 CC DRW Lariat 6.7
Full-time since 8/2015

am1958
Explorer
Explorer

DesertHiker
Explorer
Explorer
Second Chance wrote:
How much does the kayak weigh? Most RV ladders are rated for a max of 300 lbs. static. The kayak bouncing down the road is going to put several times its weight on whatever it is mounted on. I have seen, however, several examples of kayak racks made specifically for that purpose with supports welded to the frame rails underneath - much safer setup.

Rob

Hmmm, yes, that is good counsel, I know I can do an independent rack. Maybe not a perfect idea. The kayak weighs 33 pounds.
DesertHiker

Oasisbob
Explorer
Explorer
Kayak weight would not be anb issue. Wind resistance mayt be. I would put opening facing back and give it a try
Oasis Bob
Wonderful wife 3 of 4 kids at home. 1 proudly serving in USAF
2018 Ford Explorer
2001 Bantam Trail Lite B-19

HAPPY TRAILS:)

Second_Chance
Explorer II
Explorer II
How much does the kayak weigh? Most RV ladders are rated for a max of 300 lbs. static. The kayak bouncing down the road is going to put several times its weight on whatever it is mounted on. I have seen, however, several examples of kayak racks made specifically for that purpose with supports welded to the frame rails underneath - much safer setup.

Rob
U.S. Army retired
2020 Solitude 310GK-R
MORryde IS, disc brakes, solar, DP windows
(Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
2012 F350 CC DRW Lariat 6.7
Full-time since 8/2015