cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Keeping Ants Out of My Rv!

precioustime
Explorer II
Explorer II
Got a 34 foot motorhome, class A and would like to know how to keep ants from entering my rv and my kitchen cabinets. And what poison would be best to place around the compartments for them to eat.
23 REPLIES 23

dodge_guy
Explorer II
Explorer II
The best so.ution is to not forget "sweet" things in the RV. Like, oh, let's say a bottle of syrup!!! Funny how they can sniff that out!
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

CavemanCharlie
Explorer II
Explorer II

CavemanCharlie
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have a couple of questions ?

First, what do the ants look like ? Big black ones, smaller red ones, or tiny bitty little red ones ?

Second, Are you parked at a permanent site ? If the answer to that is Yes, then the ants are in the ground outside the camper and just the worker ants are coming in to eat and take the food back home. In that case Terro works the best because the ants take it back to the nest and eventually it kills the queen. Spraying for that type of ant does no good. You are just killing the workers. You have to kill the queen and Terro works good for that but, it takes a little time to work.

MrWizard
I usually use the max raid bait stations
They work for me,
Might try the Terro brand next time
I move a lot, keeping Ants out is next to impossible,
Putting out bait stations control the problem
They do come in, but they check out permanently
Until the next batch arrives
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

Dave_H_M
Explorer
Explorer
X3 on the home defense

kellem
Explorer
Explorer
Live in the mountains where ants have always been an issue......until I tried TERRO.

rav
Explorer
Explorer
X3 on Diatomaceous Earth, works great and is not poisonous to kids or animals. We full time and prefer it to the liquid sprays, both need to be reapplied after a rain. I put some in a mustard squeeze bottle and can give a dusting anywhere inside and out.

TurnThePage
Explorer
Explorer
I'm also a fan of Terro for those already infested areas. And as mentioned, the Ortho Home Defense spray works great for all the parts of the RV that touch the ground.
2015 Ram 1500
2022 Grand Design Imagine XLS 22RBE

rexlion
Explorer
Explorer
Around my house I use the diatom earth some, and it's great if you can treat every ingress point. But when I can't see where they are coming from and they're not crossing the powder, a quick shot of Terro Ant Killer (spray can) shuts down the intrusion and the effect lasts for a couple weeks or so.
Mike G.
Liberty is meaningless where the right to utter one's thoughts and opinions has ceased to exist. That, of all rights, is the dread of tyrants. --Frederick Douglass
photo: Yosemite Valley view from Taft Point

Dick_B
Explorer
Explorer
Try cayenne pepper and sprinkle around everything that touches the ground.
Terro Liquid ant baits works for us. Initially more ants will appear because they got the word that food is available BUT in a day or so they will disappear.
Dick_B
2003 SunnyBrook 27FKS
2011 3/4 T Chevrolet Suburban
Equal-i-zer Hitch
One wife, two electric bikes (both Currie Tech Path+ models)

freetime58
Explorer
Explorer
Diatomaceous earth needs to be kept dry to be effective.........one draw back of using it outside.

rdhetrick
Explorer
Explorer
navegator wrote:
Go to home despot and purchase a product "home defence" by Ortho, spray this arround every item that touches the ground, arround tires, jacks, hoses, electric cables etc.

Also spray inside if needed, it will last about 3 months inside and at least one month outside depending on how much rain you have, it is harmless to pets and does not smell at least I do not smell it.

navegator

X2
Rob - Solo Full Timer
2017 Winnebago Travato 59G
Former 2006 Mandalay 40E

BarabooBob
Explorer III
Explorer III
I agree that the Terro ant baits work. I also apply Home Defense under my carport where the TT is stored. Since doing this, no ants.
Bob & Dawn Married 34 years
2017 Viking 17RD
2011 Ford F150 3.5L Ecoboost 420 lb/ft
Retired

MrWizard
I had some of that In my chemistry set when I was a kid,
Don't remember what experiments it was used for
That was 60 years ago,
Did not know about the usage for ants
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service