cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Key west Fla.

elidodge
Explorer
Explorer
We are going to the Keys for my retirement trip. What are some of the places to make sure we don't miss? We are staying at Sugar Loaf Key K.O.A. I turn 65 in March ,we are going in mid March!
Bobby
38 REPLIES 38

holstein13
Explorer
Explorer
twyand wrote:
Head towards Mallory Square and visit Fat Tuesday's for whatever frozen drink you can imagine, then rent a jet boat (NOT a jet ski) at one of the resorts
I would reverse the order of these suggestions.
2015 Newmar King Aire 4599
2012 Ford F150 Supercrew Cab
-------------------------------------------------------------
`

twyand
Explorer
Explorer
Take the bridge on Key West towards the shrimp boat docks. Eat shrimp steamed in Heineken and conch chowder at the Half-shell Raw Bar. Say hello to my brother and sister Coast Guardsmen right next door. Head towards Mallory Square and visit Fat Tuesday's for whatever frozen drink you can imagine, then rent a jet boat (NOT a jet ski) at one of the resorts (I can't remember the name) next to the Square. 2 hours is plenty. Make it back to watch the real show that is sunset at Mallory Square. After that, visit Sloppy Joe's if you love crowds ( I prefer Fat Tuesdays so I can walk around) or another bar if you want to sit. Everyone is easy to talk to; just ask a question and enjoy!
Like to fish? Stop in Islamorada and do a charter, inshore of offshore. Shark fishing is great, best place for hammerheads I ever saw.
twyand
2001 Ford/LA West conversion van

elidodge
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for all the great Ideas. We are so lookink forward to this trip and the retirement,been driving a tanker truck for 40 yrs.Now its time for the R.V.
Bobby

dieharder
Explorer
Explorer
The trolley tour around Key West was pretty good too.
1999 Itasca Sunrise

steveh27
Explorer
Explorer
Wadcutter wrote:
I hate to recommend this for a retirement party but be sure to visit the Key West Cemetery and read the headstones. The memorial to the USS Maine. People who were instrumental in making Key West. The residents of Key West have a different view on life and they carry that view into death. That's where you'll find the headstone with "I told you I was sick" plus others.

X2, Did that this Feb.

LBL_1206
Explorer
Explorer
and eat a meal, any meal, at the Blue Heaven Restaurant. it's not everyday you get too eat with the chickens instead of eating the chicken...great place. might want to check Honda State Park for camping. it's a nice place.

scrubjaysnest
Explorer
Explorer
To hot in March but enjoy the trip even if it is just another tourist trap.
Axis 24.1 class A 500watts solar TS-45CC Trimetric
Very noisy generator :M
2016 Wrangler JK dinghy
โ€œThey who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.โ€ Benjamin Franklin

dieharder
Explorer
Explorer
Parasailing in Key West is incredible. Turquoise water all around, just an awesome view.
1999 Itasca Sunrise

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
#1 Enjoy the DRIVE! The drive south once past Key Largo is GREAT, it is the shortest 150 miles from Miami I have ever driven.
Yes, the Schooner Wharf Bar. Skip the scooters unless you ride anyway. That an don't pass up on Conk Fritters, great bar snack.
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

LynnandCarol
Explorer
Explorer
Noname Pizza on Noname Key. Lots of Key Deer there also if you drive around. In KW west the Schooner Warf bar in the harbor.

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
Visit the Hemmingway House, see the six toed cats.
Eat Key Lime Pie

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

Kentucky_Rambl1
Explorer
Explorer
We stay at the KOA also. We love it there. Love the swimming pool and the bar. And don't forget to have dinner across the street at Mangrove Mama's, great local place.

Chowan
Explorer
Explorer
there are only 2 things to do in key west. Go to bars and rides scooters through town. Have fun

Wadcutter
Nomad
Nomad
I hate to recommend this for a retirement party but be sure to visit the Key West Cemetery and read the headstones. The memorial to the USS Maine. People who were instrumental in making Key West. The residents of Key West have a different view on life and they carry that view into death. That's where you'll find the headstone with "I told you I was sick" plus others.
Camped in every state

holstein13
Explorer
Explorer
X2 on Fort Jefferson in the Dry Tortugas. I'd take a sea plane instead of boating, but that's my preference. Be sure to do a sunset cruise from Mallory Square. Don't miss the Hemingway house and the little white house.

If you like to drink, you'll be in heaven in Key West. Lot's of bars.

Keep in mind that there are very few beaches in Key West. The only decent one I know of is Fort Zachary Taylor at the very end.

I've stayed at the Sugar Loaf Key KOA several times and will be there on January 14th for a trip with friends. Then I'm off to Blue Water. Personally, I like the KOA. Yes, it is tight, but they have a nice swimming pool and I like to fish off the nearby bridge.
2015 Newmar King Aire 4599
2012 Ford F150 Supercrew Cab
-------------------------------------------------------------
`