cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Kind of interesting on mold

NanciL
Explorer II
Explorer II
My wife happened to notice that our parked trailer had mold growing on the cabinets and factory wood paneling and decided to wash it all down.
Since we have had the trailer, I have built a lot more cabinets and installed them every where there was empty space along with other modifications using matching wood work and panels.
I finished all my work using polyurethane, and she found that every thing that had my finish did not have any mold and all of the factory stuff did.
Needless to say I am adding to my "to do list" to polyurethane all the factory panels.

Jack L
Jack & Nanci
13 REPLIES 13

NanciL
Explorer II
Explorer II
rockhillmanor wrote:
NanciL wrote:
2012Coleman wrote:
The "factory woodwork" is particle board covered with vinyl that has a woodgrain pattern. I'd be surprised if the doors were made of rel wood. I'm not sure you'd want to apply polyurethane over that.

All the factory cabinets, except for the frames are made from 1/8" plywood with the wood grain pattern over it, and yes you can polyurethane over it. I already have done it on some of them with good results.Jack L

All my doors are solid oak wood and the drawers and frames are all hard wood. Which is one of the reasons I choose my RV.:C

Must be a heavy sucker !

Jack L
Jack & Nanci

rockhillmanor
Explorer
Explorer
NanciL wrote:
2012Coleman wrote:
The "factory woodwork" is particle board covered with vinyl that has a woodgrain pattern. I'd be surprised if the doors were made of rel wood. I'm not sure you'd want to apply polyurethane over that.

All the factory cabinets, except for the frames are made from 1/8" plywood with the wood grain pattern over it, and yes you can polyurethane over it. I already have done it on some of them with good results.Jack L

All my doors are solid oak wood and the drawers and frames are all hard wood. Which is one of the reasons I choose my RV.:C

We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned,
so as to have the life that is waiting for us.

NYCgrrl
Explorer
Explorer
Your thread interests me so I did a bit of research.
Firstly, yes, mold can grow on any type of aftermarket wood product, painted, polyurethaned or unfinished. Guess we all knew that but nice to have it reaffirmed in print. On finished wood(painted or "polyed") it starts on the surface and if caught early can readily be cleaned off with products such as Simple Green or even a vinegar solution.

It is unusual that your original RV cabinetry is mildewing but the custom work is not so I checked to see if green or overly humid wood will accept a finish but exhibit signs of mold after. I see nothing that points in that direction.

Which leads me to a different thought: could your mods be in a less humid area? Say not in the kitchen or bathroom?

Intriguing problem that I hope never to have;).

NanciL
Explorer II
Explorer II
2012Coleman wrote:

All the factory cabinets, except for the frames are made from 1/8" plywood with the wood grain pattern over it, and yes you can polyurethane over it. I already have done it on some of them with good results.

Jack L
Jack & Nanci

coolbreeze01
Explorer
Explorer
Sounds like the imported sheet rock problem, just different material.
2008 Ram 3500 With a Really Strong Tractor Motor...........
LB, SRW, 4X4, 6-Speed Auto, 3.73, Prodigy P3, Blue Ox Sway Pro........
2014 Sandsport 26FBSL

Lantley
Nomad
Nomad
I would be more concerned with the source of the mold. If there is adequate ventilation than there is an excess moisture source coming from somewhere.

You need to fix/find the source of the moisture vs. finding a solution for the effect of the moisture.
19'Duramax w/hips, 2022 Alliance Paradigm 390MP >BD3,r,22" Blackstone
r,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps, Enduraplas25,Pedego
BakFlip,RVLock,Prog.50A surge ,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan, Sailun S637

2012Coleman
Explorer II
Explorer II
Experience without good judgment is worthless; good judgment without experience is still good judgment!

2018 RAM 3500 Big Horn CTD
2018 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS

NanciL
Explorer II
Explorer II
NYCgrrl wrote:
NanciL wrote:
My wife happened to notice that our parked trailer had mold growing on the cabinets and factory wood paneling and decided to wash it all down.
Since we have had the trailer, I have built a lot more cabinets and installed them every where there was empty space along with other modifications using matching wood work and panels.
I finished all my work using polyurethane, and she found that every thing that had my finish did not have any mold and all of the factory stuff did.
Needless to say I am adding to my "to do list" to polyurethane all the factory panels.

Jack L

I know you said you polyurethaned your wood cabinets but just want to check if it was water based or oil based. I find that sometimes people use the term interchangeable.

I agree that you prolly need more/better ventilation.

It is oil based

Jack L
Jack & Nanci

NanciL
Explorer II
Explorer II
BuckBarker wrote:
Are you going to poly your mattress and cushions too? If you have this much mold then you need to ventilate your rig.
Do you have covers over your roof vents so you can leave them open a bit? If not then this should be your first step.
Mine is parked in my yard and we are a mile from the Atlantic and except for a little growth on the rubber roof, my rig stays dry.

All the vents are opened and it is under a roof.
You evidently didn't glean what I wrote. The only place that has the mold is the factory wood work.

Jack L
Jack & Nanci

rockhillmanor
Explorer
Explorer

I had the same thing happen.

I found that some of the spray wax polish/cleaners for wood actually will allow and encourage mold. And interestingly I found it to be more prevalent in the more natural 'off brand' polishes.

We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned,
so as to have the life that is waiting for us.

NYCgrrl
Explorer
Explorer
NanciL wrote:

Jack L

I know you said you polyurethaned your wood cabinets but just want to check if it was water based or oil based. I find that sometimes people use the term interchangeable.

I agree that you prolly need more/better ventilation.

robsouth
Explorer II
Explorer II
Something is awry if you are getting mold on the cabinets. Imagine what must be lurking in the "soft stuff". I think I would forgo the "urethane" and find out how to ventilate so that you don't have moist air hanging around to cause mold in the first place.
"Sometimes I just sit and think. Sometimes I just sit." "Great minds like a think."

BuckBarker
Explorer
Explorer
Are you going to poly your mattress and cushions too? If you have this much mold then you need to ventilate your rig.
Do you have covers over your roof vents so you can leave them open a bit? If not then this should be your first step.
Mine is parked in my yard and we are a mile from the Atlantic and except for a little growth on the rubber roof, my rig stays dry.