cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

KING OA8201 Jack HDTV Over-the-Air Antenna

aintnothin
Explorer
Explorer
I'm thinking about buying one of these because I don't watch tv a lot while away from home. Has anyone else installed or have one? Are they worth it?
Giddy Up!
21 REPLIES 21

Horizon170
Explorer
Explorer
OK, nice reading but how do I tell if my winegard crank up is ok before I buy a Batman to attach to it? Camper is new to me but a 2010 model.
Marvin
Marvin

2010 Coachman Freelander 22TB on a
2008 Sprinter/Freightliner chassis
1995 Geo Tracker (Toad)

IAMICHABOD
Explorer II
Explorer II
aintnothin wrote:
IAMICHABOD, do you the model of the Jack your using on you Wingman mount?

Yes it is the OA8000,RV Upgrades has the best price near me.

Quick and simple install,pull 2 pins and connect coax.
2006 TIOGA 26Q CHEVY 6.0 WORKHORSE VORTEC
Former El Monte RV Rental
Retired Teamster Local 692
Buying A Rental Class C

aintnothin
Explorer
Explorer
IAMICHABOD, do you the model of the Jack your using on you Wingman mount?
Giddy Up!

Jackfate
Explorer
Explorer
Ok now this makes sense when in my driveway the uhf channels are solid but at the campsites that tv fool is telling me the vhf are the closest. Will try for uhf only from now on
Thanks

aintnothin
Explorer
Explorer
I've never used the batting because all most all the rv parks I've stayed in had cable. I'd go with satellite but I'd have to get on the pay as you go, (have cable at home, to many tress for satellite), and I'm never gone for more than 3-4 days, once in while 3-4 weeks. Maybe just stay with the batting and DVD player.
Giddy Up!

IAMICHABOD
Explorer II
Explorer II
I guess that I am in that OTHER CAMP like the dodge guy and a lot of others.
The techies like Jeff and others that work in the field,even one that works for the company that makes the Batwing have the same tune.And yes I have seen the tests that Jeff made.

When I bought my RV it had a Batwing that was not working, I cleaned up all connections and tested to see if it was broken, it was,so I replaced it with a new bat wing then ran a Channel Scan I was not impressed with the amount of channels that I got. This was done in my driveway here in the south bay of So Calif about 30 miles from the transmitters, using my SensarPro.

I then went out and got a Wingman add on, that put my channel scan up to 47,but I had a clearance problem with the Wingman

So I opted to put a Jack on and my channel scan went up to 60

The debate will go but I know what works best for me,in the real world.
2006 TIOGA 26Q CHEVY 6.0 WORKHORSE VORTEC
Former El Monte RV Rental
Retired Teamster Local 692
Buying A Rental Class C

Dutch_12078
Explorer II
Explorer II
dodge guy wrote:
SCVJeff wrote:
Does it work? Debatable. Is it the best? Absolutely not.
Dodge Guy and I (along with most others on this forum) will never agree on this. The truth is that the Winegard Batwing is by far a better antenna than the Jack. It is significantly better on UHF and head and shoulders better than the Jack on VHF that it's not even designed for, and that's going to be an important issue in the next few years as TV stations start moving back onto the VHF band. Like I told him more than once: if a Jack out performs a Batwing, then the Batwing is broken, and unfortunately that's a true statement more than it should be.

If you are interested in the testing I did on this, that even Winegard has used on their website, let me know and I'll find it when not on an iPhone.

No problem with me! but then there are far too many broken Batwings out there. many, many of us have replaced the Batwing and are very happy with how the Jack performs! there are way too many positive before and after`s with the Batwing to Jack to say that all of them must be broken! my tests are real world! 1 or 2 weak stations before and 10-12 strong after! and I`m not the only one. Sorry!

I suspect very few people with a good working batwing go out and buy a Jack. Why would they? It'll be interesting to see how many Jack complaints we start seeing as many TV stations move back to VHF where the Jack performance is quite poor.
Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate

dodge_guy
Explorer II
Explorer II
SCVJeff wrote:
dodge guy wrote:
SCVJeff wrote:
Dodge Guy and I (along with most others on this forum) will never agree on this. The truth is that the Winegard Batwing is by far a better antenna than the Jack. It is significantly better on UHF and head and shoulders better than the Jack on VHF that it's not even designed for, and that's going to be an important issue in the next few years as TV stations start moving back onto the VHF band. Like I told him more than once: if a Jack out performs a Batwing, then the Batwing is broken, and unfortunately that's a true statement more than it should be.

If you are interested in the testing I did on this, that even Winegard has used on their website, let me know and I'll find it when not on an iPhone.

No problem with me! but then there are far too many broken Batwings out there. many, many of us have replaced the Batwing and are very happy with how the Jack performs! there are way too many positive before and after`s with the Batwing to Jack to say that all of them must be broken! my tests are real world! 1 or 2 weak stations before and 10-12 strong after! and I`m not the only one. Sorry!
I said before and I'll say it again, the numbers simply don't lie.

Right.....but neither do real world tests. The number of stations I get before and after don't lie.
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

rekoj71
Explorer
Explorer
I have one and I think it works very good. Came as original equipment so mine doesn't crank up. It worked better in my driveway than my home antenna that was an older style in attic 10ft wide antenna. It's enough for me as I have gotten plenty of stations everywhere I've gone and even several that should have been out of reach (ie. Richmond and NC stations when parked in Virginia Beach). I like that I don't have to crank it, and I have hit a few low hanging branches that have even spun it on me but so far no damage noted.

All that said I've read the numbers that are being quoted above and believe that they are probably true and that the other one is probably a little more powerful, but I am pretty sure that the Jack is in the top tier for antennas and am happy enough with it. As you I'm sure have noticed these are the only two that get recommended on this site but each for different reasons. If I have to replace it sometime I will probably still stick with it for the reasons I've stated. I'm also the type of person who doesn't mind not having the best reception all the time as I have plenty of other entertainment options.

1fastdad
Explorer
Explorer
I have the one that attaches to the batwing crankup.I bought it because at my mother inlaws house in South Carolina I could only get two stations and I had to move the antenna to do that. With the Jack I could Get twelve station.

Jackfate
Explorer
Explorer
Works well in driveway,campsites almost never work at all & I use antenna fool for directions

Padlin
Explorer
Explorer
I have the JACK, had the Batwing on the last trailer. What I don't care for with the JACK is that it's not ideal if you use a trailer cover. It's plastic and feels like it'd snap off without much effort. I put a small laundry basket over it for protection before putting on the cover.

Don't watch enough TV to comment one way or the other about reception.
Happy Motoring
Bob & Deb

W Ma.
12 F150 HD SCAB EcoBoost LB 4x4
14 Escape 5.0 TA

SCVJeff
Explorer
Explorer
dodge guy wrote:
SCVJeff wrote:

I said before and I'll say it again, the numbers simply don't lie.
Jeff - WA6EQU
'06 Itasca Meridian 34H, CAT C7/350

B_O__Plenty
Explorer II
Explorer II
I don't know if it works any better or not. My old batwing would rattle when the wind blew and keep me awake. Even when I lowered it. Rattle is gone, I'm happy.

B.O.
Former Ram/Cummins owner
2015 Silverado 3500 D/A DRW
Yup I'm a fanboy!
2016 Cedar Creek 36CKTS