cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

KING OA8201 Jack HDTV Over-the-Air Antenna

aintnothin
Explorer
Explorer
I'm thinking about buying one of these because I don't watch tv a lot while away from home. Has anyone else installed or have one? Are they worth it?
Giddy Up!
21 REPLIES 21

dodge_guy
Explorer II
Explorer II
SCVJeff wrote:
Does it work? Debatable. Is it the best? Absolutely not.
Dodge Guy and I (along with most others on this forum) will never agree on this. The truth is that the Winegard Batwing is by far a better antenna than the Jack. It is significantly better on UHF and head and shoulders better than the Jack on VHF that it's not even designed for, and that's going to be an important issue in the next few years as TV stations start moving back onto the VHF band. Like I told him more than once: if a Jack out performs a Batwing, then the Batwing is broken, and unfortunately that's a true statement more than it should be.

If you are interested in the testing I did on this, that even Winegard has used on their website, let me know and I'll find it when not on an iPhone.

No problem with me! but then there are far too many broken Batwings out there. many, many of us have replaced the Batwing and are very happy with how the Jack performs! there are way too many positive before and after`s with the Batwing to Jack to say that all of them must be broken! my tests are real world! 1 or 2 weak stations before and 10-12 strong after! and I`m not the only one. Sorry!
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

Dutch_12078
Explorer II
Explorer II
SCVJeff wrote:

If you are interested in the testing I did on this, that even Winegard has used on their website, let me know and I'll find it when not on an iPhone.

I'll save you the trouble, Jeff. ๐Ÿ˜‰

Batwing vs.BatMan vs. Jack: The Results..
Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate

SCVJeff
Explorer
Explorer
Does it work? Debatable. Is it the best? Absolutely not.
Dodge Guy and I (along with most others on this forum) will never agree on this. The truth is that the Winegard Batwing is by far a better antenna than the Jack. It is significantly better on UHF and head and shoulders better than the Jack on VHF that it's not even designed for, and that's going to be an important issue in the next few years as TV stations start moving back onto the VHF band. Like I told him more than once: if a Jack out performs a Batwing, then the Batwing is broken, and unfortunately that's a true statement more than it should be.

Jeff - WA6EQU
'06 Itasca Meridian 34H, CAT C7/350

seaeagle2
Explorer
Explorer
My trailer came with the Jensen omnidirectional which was a joke. I replaced it with a King Jack rather than the crank up wingard for a couple reasons. The King Jack mounted in the same location so I didn't have to drill a new hole. The wingard wouldn't have laid flat on the roof in that location, also we driveway camp a lot, and the King Jack fits under my carport. I get the impression that the wingard gets better reception because it is taller, but in my case it wouldn't work, so the King Jack is much better than the omni directional...
2014 F 250 Gasser
2019 Outdoors RV 21RD
"one life, don't blow it", Kona Brewing
"If people concentrated on the really important things in life there'd be a shortage of fishing poles" Doug Larson

dodge_guy
Explorer II
Explorer II
In reference to the above post, my Jack was a replacement for the Batwing. So it attached to the existing crank up antenna mast.
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

A bad day camping is

Rolin
Explorer
Explorer
We upgraded to the King Jack antenna a year ago. It does ok as far as pulling stations. However, there are situations where the original antenna did better because it was elevated about 2ft above the roof when cranked up.

That said, I am very glad we changed to the Jack antenna. Don't have to worry about forgetting to drop the antenna...been there done that. I occasionally see trailers or motorhome cruising down the freeway with that antenna flapping in the breeze.

They do sell a jack antenna that can attach to the original antenna arms. I tried that and it did better than the mount on the roof one. However, in my case, it would hit the air conditioner when lowered so could not use it.

dodge_guy
Explorer II
Explorer II
I replaced my old Batwing that barely got 10 stations with the Jack. Now I get 72 in my driveway. At a campground I went from 1-2 blacks stations to approx 10! My buddy ended up switching the next year and he had the wingman and it never helped!
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

A bad day camping is