cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Knee Issues

Bob_Vaughn
Explorer
Explorer
How do those with knee issues keep on rv'ing? Is a small handicap scooter the answer? Plus how are steps being assessed????
32 REPLIES 32

the_bear_II
Explorer
Explorer
My wife has bad knees. We have a 5th wheel with 4 steps.

I added a Burr Handi Lift http://www.burractuators.com/lifts/handy_lift.htm
To help her get inside.

She uses a mobility scooter to get around. Most scooters break down into several parts to make it easy to transport. Hers breaks down into six parts with each battery being the heaviest pieces. I carry it in the back of the truck. Takes less than 10 minutes to put together or take apart.

Another option is a Hoyer Patient Lift. We used one of these to get my wheelchair bound dad in and out of our truck when he traveled with us. The Handi-Lift was used to get him and his wheelchair inside of the 5th wheel.
http://www.spinlife.com/Bestcare-Lifts-Genesis-400-Hydraulic-Manual-Patient-Lift/spec.cfm?productID=77888

We found the mobility scooter and hoyer lift on Craigslist for 1/4 the new price. Both were in new condition.

NYCgrrl
Explorer
Explorer
Was just speaking with an RVing friend about this concern. She recently had a double knee replacement operation and decided to incorporate the step height of her RV into her PT. She's in week 3 of rehab and no longer plans to change the existing steps of her RV. Since she has no other health concerns like respiratory problems she has nixed the want for a golf cart or similar.

NanciL
Explorer II
Explorer II
Replacement !

I am an ex long distance runner who suffered with a bad knee for twenty years.
It finally got so bad, that I didn't want to walk any more, and three years ago had it replaced.
My goal was to be in a canoe a month after the operation, but I did a lot better, and was in my kayak a week after it.
I was amazed had how quick the recovery was, and should have done it years ago.
I now have no problem with stairs, and can hike mountains again, and it is just like I never had a knee problem

With that said; when I was in rehab, I noticed that all the people that had problems recouperating were the over weight ones

Jack L
Jack & Nanci