cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Knives Magnets and and rv

grizz272
Explorer
Explorer
My DW would like to put up a magnetic knife holder in the new rv. What are the chances of the knives vibrating off the magnet strip while we are driving down the road?
37 REPLIES 37

centerline
Explorer
Explorer
the knives will stay firmly attached to the mag strip if its a good one like you get in the tool department... the ones I buy from harbor freight only cost 4.99 and they are as strong and as good of quality as you will find elsewhere at 3 times the price... they are about 15 or 16 inches long.
we use the mag strips for knives in the RV, and one just inside the door, for holding tools so that they are handy to get to either from inside or from standing on the ground outside... and one in the basement to hold assorted tools that need to be accessed frequently..
and we have a strip in our boat for holding the galley utensils such as knives, can opener and bbq tongs....

they have proven themselves to work well for many uses, and it will take some real road abuse of the trailer to shake a kitchen knife or set of tongs from it...
2007 M-3705 SLC weekend warrior, 5th wheel
2014 Ram 3500 CC/LB, 6.7 Cummins
2004 Polaris Sportsman 700
2005 Polaris Sportsman 500 HO
1979 Bayliner 2556 FB Convertible Cruiser
Heavy Equipment Repair & Specialty Welding...

Finally_Time
Explorer
Explorer
I've used a magnetic rack from Target for 7 years in my travel trailer and for 5 years in my motorhome. Never even had a knife side around let alone fall off and I'v been over most of California's pot-holed roads. I also mounted the rack with 3M double-sided mounting tape in both rigs.
'17 Tiffin Breeze 31BR, '13 Honda CR-V
Ready Brute Elite Tow Bar & Brake System

JAC1982
Explorer
Explorer
I've had the Ikea one in a residence, and I can't imagine any knife falling off of that thing, it was super strong. I don't use one in the camper, as my knives have individual sheaths, but if we were fulltiming I'd consider it to save on some drawer space.

If you're worried about them falling, maybe lay a bath-type towel (thicker) underneath them while traveling so if they do fall, they aren't damaging your counters.
2020 Keystone Montana High Country 294RL
2017 Ford F350 DRW King Ranch
2021 Ford F350 SRW Lariat Tremor

bigred1cav
Explorer
Explorer
100%

Tom_M1
Explorer
Explorer
gbopp wrote:
Our ceramic knives keep falling off the magnets. :B
I have problems with my brass and aluminum ones also
Tom
2005 Born Free 24RB
170ah Renogy LiFePo4 drop-in battery 400 watts solar
Towing 2016 Mini Cooper convertible on tow dolly
Minneapolis, MN

RollandB
Explorer
Explorer
We put one in our previous rig and over many miles never had one come off. We would have one in our current rig but have slots behind the stove
2013 Yukon

2021 Coachmen Spirit 1943RB

hotbyte
Explorer
Explorer
grizz272 wrote:
We met some full timers last fall in Baton Rouge. They had a magnetic knife holder. The DW really liked it. He said they did not fall off, she said they did and put them away before they hit the road.
That is why the question. We have the perfect place for them in the new camper so I will probably be getting one.

Sounds like they were both right. ๐Ÿ˜‰
2018 Minnie Winnie 24M

T18skyguy
Explorer
Explorer
I use the strip magnets that the tool trucks use to hold tools, but I use two of them positioned about 4 inches apart from each other. Their spendy but very strong. You really have to yank the knives off.
Retired Anesthetist. LTP. Pilot with mechanic/inspection ratings. Between rigs right now.. Wife and daughter. Four cats which we must obey.

grizz272
Explorer
Explorer
We met some full timers last fall in Baton Rouge. They had a magnetic knife holder. The DW really liked it. He said they did not fall off, she said they did and put them away before they hit the road.
That is why the question. We have the perfect place for them in the new camper so I will probably be getting one.

4x4van
Explorer
Explorer
ependydad wrote:
I LOVE this post. It's sooo classic RV.NET.
"I've never used one, but I'm positive they'll fall."
"I use one but never traveled with them up there, I'm positive they'll fall."
"I use one and travel with them up there, they've never fallen."
For all of my friends who have them, they travel with the knives up there and they've never fallen. I don't have one because I don't have a good spot for it. But if I did, they'd travel up there without a concern.

Exactly. Every post here by people who have actually tried it, seem agree that it works and has never failed (for them). Yet we also have the following:

rk911 wrote:
pretty substantial, IMO.

Lwiddis wrote:
Slighly more than 99.99%.

PawPaw_n_Gram wrote:
The odds of the knives vibrating and coming off 100%

Substantial? 99%? 100%? Based on what? That you โ€œthinkโ€ that they will fall, or that they โ€œdidโ€ fall 99-100% of the times that you tried?

And of course:
Dick_B wrote:
We keep ours in a drawer.
Which has exactly 0 relevance to the original question, which was:
grizz272 wrote:
My DW would like to put up a magnetic knife holder in the new rv. What are the chances of the knives vibrating off the magnet strip while we are driving down the road?
:S

While I don't have/use one in my RV (no good spot for it), I DO use one in my enclosed ATV trailer (with NO shocks) for tools (all of which are heavier than any knives I own); never had a single tool fall off, or even shift position.
We don't stop playing because we grow old...We grow old because we stop playing!

2004 Itasca Sunrise M-30W
Carson enclosed ATV Trailer
-'85 ATC250R, '12 Husky TE310, '20 CanAm X3 X rs Turbo RR
Zieman Jetski Trailer
-'96 GTi, '96 Waveblaster II

ctilsie242
Explorer II
Explorer II
My current rig, I just stuff them, point down, behind the stove. This knife "rack" has worked flawlessly for me for years.

Next class "B"? I'm looking at a roll bag, and placing them in a drawer. That way, if the drawer opens while on the road, not much will happen.

filrupmark
Explorer
Explorer
We have a magnetic rack. No issues with knives falling off. But DW says they are going in the drawer when we go to Louisiana. :B
2004 Ford F250 Super Duty 6.0 Diesel, Bilstein 4600 Shocks, 16K B&W Patriot, Michelin M&S
2014 Augusta Flex AF34RS Trailair Tri Glide pinbox,
JT Strong Arms , Bridgestone R250'S, KYB Monotube Gas shocks
Finally a smooth ride !!!

hotbyte
Explorer
Explorer
ependydad wrote:
I LOVE this post. It's sooo classic RV.NET.

"I've never used one, but I'm positive they'll fall."

"I use one but never traveled with them up there, I'm positive they'll fall."

"I use one and travel with them up there, they've never fallen."

For all of my friends who have them, they travel with the knives up there and they've never fallen. I don't have one because I don't have a good spot for it. But if I did, they'd travel up there without a concern.

Exactly! ๐Ÿ™‚
2018 Minnie Winnie 24M

mobeewan
Explorer
Explorer
Lantley wrote:
I have a magnetic knife holder works great. Takes advantage of wall space vs. putting knives in drawer. Knives do not fall off.
I imagine all knife racks are not created equal. I don't think all suspensions and ride quality are equal either.
Magnetic knife rack works well for me.

If you don't trust magnet you may consider

Camco Knife Safe

I've got 2 of the Camco knife safes on the cabinet doors under the sink.